WATE reporting TSR to shut down

Sad day. I don't live in Knoxville and I listened several times a week. I have the animal. Hope someone with money within the Vol power brokers will take this opportunity to take some of these guys and more ex players and do a good Vols Sprots station on FM and the Net!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
This is great news. I've really been pushing for a stand up comedy channel in Knoxville for some time.

"The second station going on air in mid-September on 1120 AM will play all stand up comedy. "

If you want a comedy station, just start one on Pandora. I guarantee it will be better than what you'll hear on AM radio. I have one with Gaffigan, Hedberg, Wright, Martin, Oswalt, Burnham, etc.

Has anyone heard where Ainge and Swain are going? Oldies and comedy??? Get serious. Who made that decision?

Ainge said he was leaving radio this AM but would be open to a Sunday morning show during FB season somewhere.

Someone on here implied Swain is planning to go the podcast route for now.

This is great news. I've really been pushing for a stand up comedy channel in Knoxville for some time.

"The second station going on air in mid-September on 1120 AM will play all stand up comedy. "

All you need to do is listen to Vandy games this year for all the comedy you will need

A group of "middle Tennessee investors" it is hard to imagine it could be about money, with those decisions.. Who listens to comedy on the radio?

When you don't have to pay on air talent, it doesn't take much to turn a profit.

does he have an app??

He does. He also archives all his shows on his website. Love him or hate him, Basilio is at least honest about being a fan, and as a fan that's what I want to hear. He doesn't have the know how to break down game film like Ainge, but he will say things that other people on local sports radio won't say. Been listening to Tony for 20 years and don't plan on stopping.

Reactions: 3 people
He does. He also archives all his shows on his website. Love him or hate him, Basilio is at least honest about being a fan, and as a fan that's what I want to hear. He doesn't have the know how to break down game film like Ainge, but he will say things that other people on local sports radio won't say. Been listening to Tony for 20 years and don't plan on stopping.

I'm not a fan of Basilio. His commercials annoy the f _ _ k out me! But I will probably go back to listening to him after TSR is gone for good. Sadly, he is the only option now and the way I figure it, better to have less than desired UT Sports radio than none at all. "BADABING!!!"

I have been a fan of the former players on TSR radio... (Ainge, Treece, and Swain) because I could relate to their situations and read between the lines as a former player. I think the people that excel are the ones like Basilio and Hooker because they know the business. They have little clue on the actual dynamics of the team but have a way to inspire discussion on a topic that is as mundane as what tread is better for a tire in rain.

This is sad to hear. Swain, Ainge and Treece provided insight that you cannot get on any other stations. I can't stand Doc, Jeff and Heather, much less Jimmy Hyams on The Sports Animal. I guess it's back to Rush Limbaugh now.

I have been a fan of the former players on TSR radio... (Ainge, Treece, and Swain) because I could relate to their situations and read between the lines as a former player. I think the people that excel are the ones like Basilio and Hooker because they know the business. They have little clue on the actual dynamics of the team but have a way to inspire discussion on a topic that is as mundane as what tread is better for a tire in rain.

Seems like a good idea would be to throw maybe Hooker and Swain or Ainge together for a show. Hooker to keep the show on topic and the former player to give commentary and get the access to the program the former players get. Don't think Basilio will add anybody to his show. All I ask for is something, ANYTHING other than Doc Jeff and heather. I REFUSE to listen to them. I like Russell Smith in the afternoon, maybe add one of the former players to his show.

Only thing I listen to on the animal is Will and Josh.

This really stinks for me. I am a field service technician and I move around a lot so I listen to all the shows. Guess I will be listening to Pandora a whole lot more now.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems like a good idea would be to throw maybe Hooker and Swain or Ainge together for a show. Hooker to keep the show on topic and the former player to give commentary and get the access to the program the former players get. Don't think Basilio will add anybody to his show. All I ask for is something, ANYTHING other than Doc Jeff and heather. I REFUSE to listen to them. I like Russell Smith in the afternoon, maybe add one of the former players to his show.

Only thing I listen to on the animal is Will and Josh.

This really stinks for me. I am a field service technician and I move around a lot so I listen to all the shows. Guess I will be listening to Pandora a whole lot more now.

Have to keep in mind that these guys all have to make a living. Consolidating shows means putting all the top paid personalities into one time slot with even less advertisement minutes. I have no idea how radio works but that can't be a good scenario.

I just tuned into TSR for the first time yesterday and listening to Ainge talk football is flipping sweet. I totally agree with the previous poster talking about other personalities knowing how to engage audiences better, but I would much rather listen to Ainge talk Xs and Os.

Knoxville radio is in no way lacking for "oldies" stations. At least two with moderate power on the FM dial, plus the same old same old that WIMZ has polluted the airwaves with forever will bury a new AM oldies station in a hurry.

i like ainge during the season and when he's breaking down game or talking about positions. swain was pretty good, but i just hated seth stokes. he was the worst.

i'll always be a TB fan. the guy is a clown, but he's all vol and he speaks his mind. he's not a robot like hyams.

Knoxville radio is in no way lacking for "oldies" stations. At least two with moderate power on the FM dial, plus the same old same old that WIMZ has polluted the airwaves with forever will bury a new AM oldies station in a hurry.

Music never works on AM stations anyway. My good friend runs the new WNOX which is now "Classic Hits." If you are looking for oldies music, just go there...93.1.

i like ainge during the season and when he's breaking down game or talking about positions. swain was pretty good, but i just hated seth stokes. he was the worst.

i'll always be a TB fan. the guy is a clown, but he's all vol and he speaks his mind. he's not a robot like hyams.

He's not my favorite but God bless I like him a lot better than "Debbie Downer" Andrew Durago. Jesus, pairing him with Hooker from 11-1 was a terrible decision. Between those two, that's just way too much melancholy for my taste. Seth with Hooker would have actually been a better combination.

Last edited:
Looks like "The Swain Event" is going to be on WKVL AM 850 Mon- Fri 7:00am-10:00am. Wonder if anyone else will join Swain on this station?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back