WATE reporting TSR to shut down

From the RLM link:

"I have signed on both Jamal Lewis and Leonard Little to be part of The Swain Event every week. It will add a whole new perspective for listeners. Seth Stokes is also coming with me and we'll have Inky Johnson's 'Inkspirations' segment. This will be The Swain Event that listeners know and love ... only bigger and better."

Adding JL and LL along with Inkspirations will be awesome. I don't like anyone being out of a job, but I was really hoping that SS would be pursuing other opportunities. I enjoy listening to Swain, but with SS always chiming in about something...anything. He sounds like an ignorant and uninformed 16 year old, like he's fighting for air time the way HH does over on the Animal.

What would be cool is if Swain could have Ainge on his show once a week during football season to do a game breakdown each week, even if it's just a call in. Ainge's X's and O's knowledge is so enjoyable to listen to during football season.

Reactions: 3 people
For me the best news out of this is the app. Loving in AL it'd be near impossible to get my daily radio vol fix without the app and podcasts. The sports animal app sucks worse than the people on it.

Reactions: 2 people
Me being in radio and involved in the engineering . Its hard to turn a profit in radio these days. More and more leave people are leaving broadcast for pandora and the like. Iheart and tune in are starting to change that back somewhat but people don't want to hear commercials.

I emailed them some time ago about how to fix their audio quality. Most shows I listened to sounded like they where in a papertowel tube. I'll imagine they had cell phones calling in. At every change in the call path kills the quality, from cell to land line to each patch to the console. They could have used cell phone and the data connection to improve 300% the quality of remotes if they listed to the ideas I gave them. Never heard a peep about trying to help them. I would have done it free as much as I was able.

Each dead time cost more than you can calculate. They had quite a bit. I dont know what kind of software they had to run the station to prevent stuff like that if any, but there's free stuff to do that also.

That being said. There is nothing to stop us from doing a online only station. Im pretty sure one can use a teamspeak server to do the whole thing and sam broadcaster.

Last edited:
Great for Swain, great for WKVL, and great for us.

Its almost as if they realize people are sick and freaking tired of Doc/Jeff/Honk...

Reactions: 1 person
From the RLM link:

"I have signed on both Jamal Lewis and Leonard Little to be part of The Swain Event every week. It will add a whole new perspective for listeners. Seth Stokes is also coming with me and we'll have Inky Johnson's 'Inkspirations' segment. This will be The Swain Event that listeners know and love ... only bigger and better."

Adding JL and LL along with Inkspirations will be awesome. I don't like anyone being out of a job, but I was really hoping that SS would be pursuing other opportunities. I enjoy listening to Swain, but with SS always chiming in about something...anything. He sounds like an ignorant and uninformed 16 year old, like he's fighting for air time the way HH does over on the Animal.

Agree about Stokes. He's a smallish, out of shape kid with no experience playing football at the collegiate level yet he seems to constantly talk over Swain and give his opinion in a way that comes across like he knows more/better than Jayson..... who has the bonafides that he doesn't. It's annoying as hell to me.

If Jayson wants him as a sidekick, I hope he better defines sidekick for Stokes and tells him to shut the hell up for the most part and only pipe up when Swain invites him to.

From the RLM link:

very glad to hear Swain is getting another show..especially a morning show.

I am thinking Ainge is getting out of radio as he says and not doing another daily show out of some kind of loyalty to jaybay, since he is the guy that got him to try radio to begin with.

But I wish he would get over that if its the case..

I really enjoy his perspective on games etc..

Ainge and Swain together would be amazing IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Awesome to hear news about SwainEvent. When one door closes, another opens. I'm pumped about Inky, Lewis, and Little being a part of this. Hope EA gets in on something similar.

From the RLM link:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

Anyone BUT Stokes.... PLEASE NO!!

From the way it sounded to me, 1180 is probably going to be broadcasting 50's, 60's, and 70's music. Which, given how old most radio listeners are, could be interesting, but I think 93.1 is broadcasting that format now, so it'll be an uphill battle for them.

1120 is probably going to be dead in 6 months or a year. I don't think I've ever heard of one person, no matter the age, who wants a stand-up comedy station, and I don't think there's a ton of ad revenue to be made there.

Honestly, if I were advising JayBay about what to do if he's hemorrhaging money, I probably would have told him to cut back to two or even one local show per day (maybe combine Ainge and Swain), and spend the rest of the day syndicating some national sports radio affiliate like Fox Sports Radio or something like that.

May I suggest Pandora and Norm MacDonald or Doug Stanhope (not for feint of heart) radio? Norm's bit on Tiger being the statistically most faithful husband in America is hilarious!

If you want a comedy station, just start one on Pandora. I guarantee it will be better than what you'll hear on AM radio. I have one with Gaffigan, Hedberg, Wright, Martin, Oswalt, Burnham, etc.

Hedberg was one funny dude! RIP...

Nb4 you're called jimmy

It was big news last week. There is thread about it. Can't be buried that deep.

For me the best news out of this is the app. Loving in AL it'd be near impossible to get my daily radio vol fix without the app and podcasts. The sports animal app sucks worse than the people on it.

Me too.. we get the Finebaum show and a few others on 94.5.... they say they are College football chat but its Bama drivel! If anyone here can keep us updated on what may open up in Ktown concerning Vols sports that would be appreciated.

Go Vols

Thanks man.

1st Mancow....now Ainge. Knox radio is brass on the titanic.

I really enjoyed Mancow...for a while. The last couple of years he was on, it was more of a political news talk show instead of a morning show on a music station. I met him on 2 occasions when he made a Knoxville appearances, the first time, he brought Turd and others with him and there was a HUGE party at Blue Cats, it was a really good time and he was nice enough. The second, he was at the Valarium...and he was one of the most classless *******s I've ever met in my life. Seriously, a dickhead to the highest degree. At that point, I was completely over him and his morning show. J and then FB&HW really haven't done much for me on that station, but I'd take either of them over that scumbag.

Oskie Media, LLC says it analyzed the Knoxville market for the past seven months to determined what Knoxville listeners want and what the market lacks. They say that research showed the need for two formats unique to the market.
One of those two new stations will launch August 29 on Tennessee Sports Radio's current frequency. The other will launch at a later date on 1120 AM. The details of those new stations have not yet been released.
I'm curious what the new format they think will get more listeners to an AM station than sportstalk? There really are only two things people listen to on AM: politics and sports and Knoxville already has those.

I just went to the WKVL 850 to check it out. There is no link to listen to the station from the internet. I guess us out-of-towners will not be listening to Swain. Can't believe this.

VN Store

Back