WATE reporting TSR to shut down

I liked some of their shows, but it was to inconsistent for me. Dave Hooker was pretty good, but Ainge spent to much time joking around. Sad, because I think they had a niche they could have really exploited and their inside info was pretty good.

Also, their Android App crashed way to much for me. Every 2 minutes the darn this crashed on my Samsung S4.

Oh well, back to listening to Basilio.

app updates help

How weren't they making money? They had the best UT sports radio.

If as many people actually listened to them as claimed to have listened to them, their ratings would have been high enough to get solid ad revenue.

As it was, they hadn't shown up in the Arbitron ratings in over two years and trying to sell advertisers on web hits and app listeners doesn't bring in very much revenue.

I know it cost one of their BIG clients less to advertise on TSR for an entire year than it did on the Sports Animal for a month. You're not going to be profitable that way.

If as many people actually listened to them as claimed to have listened to them, their ratings would have been high enough to get solid ad revenue.

As it was, they hadn't shown up in the Arbitron ratings in over two years and trying to sell advertisers on web hits and app listeners doesn't bring in very much revenue.

I know it cost one of their BIG clients less to advertise on TSR for an entire year than it did on the Sports Animal for a month. You're not going to be profitable that way.

I'm 100% ignorant here. Are you saying app and website listeners don't count towards ratings? I feel like the whole station was web/app-centric.

I listen to TSR everyday and it's awesome being out of state to be able to listen to all those knowledgable guys talk about my team. It's really gonna suck to lose them.
I noticed tho on my last trip to TN to see my mom. That while going thru Knoxville on I-40 I didn't see one billboard for TSR. I would have never known about TSR if not for u guys talking about them. My point being they should have advertised better.

its not like it was great radio. It was ok for a while when it first started then it got pretty brutal as it went on. Ainge and Jay Bay? seriously 4 hours of that toilet humor is enough as it is. Hooker is a fool that tries his best to stir the pot with his backwards takes on everything. I mean you got guys like Andrew Darago, Hooker, Jay Bay and Seth Stokes all on the air in a day. Thats not going to get you ratings. It was as amateur as it gets.

Reactions: 6 people
its not like it was great radio. It was ok for a while when it first started then it got pretty brutal as it went on. Ainge and Jay Bay? seriously 4 hours of that toilet humor is enough as it is. Hooker is a fool that tries his best to stir the pot with his backwards takes on everything. I mean you got guys like Andrew Darago, Hooker, Jay Bay and Seth Stokes all on the air in a day. Thats not going to get you ratings. It was as amateur as it gets.

When Ainge was breaking down plays or game plans he was the best. Also the joking around was usually pretty funny IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm 100% ignorant here. Are you saying app and website listeners don't count towards ratings? I feel like the whole station was web/app-centric.

They don't count toward ratings, no. The Arbitron (recently bought by Nielsen, the company that has long done TV ratings) ratings that measure radio listenership are based completely on live listening to over-the-air radio.

TSR tried something different, knowing that their over-the-air signal was very weak, they focused a lot on promoting the higher-quality audio of the app. They did decent numbers with their online and app listenership, but it's difficult to sell those numbers for advertisers for a couple of reasons.

First, the ad agencies that buy most radio and TV ads for their clients won't buy off of anything but hard ratings numbers. So that's an entire segment of companies that just aren't buying the station. Second, it's difficult to sell local companies on online numbers, because those numbers could be coming from anywhere in the world. Their online platform wasn't able to measure location for a very long time, and they tried to sell advertisers on total web hits, rather than unique hits. Where that becomes important is on the app. If you're driving around town and hit a bad cell spot, it'll disconnect you, even if its for just a second. With the metrics they were using, when it reconnected, even if it was only off for a second, it gave them another total hit.

Even with good online numbers and decent response when they would have station remotes, they still couldn't charge ad rates that made them money. Talk radio is expensive to operate because of all the people necessary. They had, at a given time, 7-8 on-air employees. The amount of ads you would have to sell just to stay afloat is astronomical. The owner sunk a lot of his own money in to keep it going, then took on investors. Eventually, the investors wanted a return. They weren't getting it with sports talk. They can with music because an automated satellite-fed oldies station is basically free to run. Agree to carry the 4 minutes of national ads that come off the satellite and you can have the programming for free and you get 8 minutes of ads an hour to sell. It's virtually impossible to lose money with that setup.

I owned a business that advertised with them for awhile over a year ago. We quit for reasons too long to get into, but I was always rooting for them to make it, even though I found it difficult to believe that they would. I knew the numbers involved. I sold my business, partly so I could split time between here and another city for a relationship, so I know what Jason is going through to get back to his family in Cookeville. I hope things work out for everyone involved.

Reactions: 2 people
Good info DeerPark. I hate to see them go especially since in 10 years internet radio and apps like their's will probably be the norm.

A grown man constantly refering to another grown man as "Jay Bay" was endlessly annoying. And he was constantly riding Ainge's jock... otherwise, when it was just Ainge talking UT football, that was enjoyable. Great perspective

Reactions: 1 person
A grown man constantly refering to another grown man as "Jay Bay" was endlessly annoying. And he was constantly riding Ainge's jock... otherwise, when it was just Ainge talking UT football, that was enjoyable. Great perspective

Last week he would ride Ainges jock then be a complete douche to Hooker. I will listen to Swain, but his show isn't great, and For What?! isn't very entertaining. Hooker and Jaybay don't belong on the radio at all. I actually like Seth Stokes. He and Swain have good radio chemistry. Ainge is by far the best radio talent.

Last week he would ride Ainges jock then be a complete douche to Hooker. I will listen to Swain, but his show isn't great, and For What?! isn't very entertaining. Hooker and Jaybay don't belong on the radio at all. I actually like Seth Stokes. He and Swain have good radio chemistry. Ainge is by far the best radio talent.

Ainge is an idiot. Literally. Some of the non-football related crap that comes out of his mouth is pure stupid. But he's a decent radio host while talking about football. I'd rather listen to him than SA any day.

Ainge is an idiot. Literally. Some of the non-football related crap that comes out of his mouth is pure stupid. But he's a decent radio host while talking about football. I'd rather listen to him than SA any day.

Ha yeah he's definitely not the most intellectual of men.

Good info DeerPark. I hate to see them go especially since in 10 years internet radio and apps like their's will probably be the norm.

Lots of people say that, but I disagree. Local radio has taken its hits, but it still dominates in cars.

The model won't change until ad agencies change the way they do business, and I don't see that happening, especially in major cities.

VN Store

Back