Just watched CBJ after game press conf.

I can't remember the kids name but the left defensive end for Ole Miss was also a freshman that whooped our right OT's butt all night. I don't see development on the o-line whatsoever. That is where my frustration lies.

Worley played bad last night but I find it hard to blame him after the beating he has endured this entire season and the fact that the coaches haven't shuffled that line around to try and find a combination that works.

Reactions: 6 people
Coach Jones still has my support, 100%.

You cannot play 21 freshman, with a junior class that has lost 45% of its original members, a senior class that has lost 33% of its original members, a junior and senior class that has had to learn two offenses and three defenses, a offensive lineman with a torn ACL, two offensive linemen who were in high school last year, and expect to beat the #3 team in the country who has been recruiting and rebuilding for the last several years.

Get real people. Jones is the man for the job, and he will get it done. Might take some staff shuffling, sure.

But it's personnel. You cannot win in the SEC playing freshmen and sophomores. But the good thing about freshmen and sophomores is, they don't stay freshmen and sophomores.

If Jones can keep these players here, and can keep developing them, then if he doesn't have success you can call him a bad coach.

But he is working with what he has. And you can tell, he knows there are major issues, but like he said, there are no quick fixes. And half of you who are complaining couldn't do a better job. He said it like it is, you gotta just recruit, and you gotta keep working hard.

This team is not regressing, but the long and tough season is beginning to wear on them. Another drawback to playing youth. They are not used to the grind of SEC football.

I still think a bowl is possible. We are not anywhere off of what everyone thought we would be. Most people had Ole Miss as a toss up before we knew how good they really were. Very few people realistically expected a win tonight.

But there are still 3 more wins out there to be had, and I do believe that we can get them. I believe in Butch. Still think he's the best man to lead our team.

If we are going to play the experience card, how does this team look with a QB with limited game experience and an influx of freshmen on the O line next season?

And replacing the heart of the defense with AJ Johnson?

Reactions: 3 people
He will live to regret not taking the Colorado job. The SEC is just too much for him to handle.
The PAC 12 ain't no sanctuary, either. The bottom line is you HAVE to have solid units in EVERY position group, in the SEC, or you will get exposed.

In 2012, we had the 2nd best offense in the SEC, but the worst defense. This year, it's just the reverse. I think CBJ has learned a hard, hard lesson from this OL debacle. That is you HAVE to recruit extremely well in the trenches, on both sides of the ball.

Trying to fill up your class early on with a bunch of 3* linemen is NOT going to cut it in the SEC. You can find one or two who can develop into SEC talent, but your bust ratio is much higher than stocking up on 4-5* talent.

People here love to excuse all the 3* commitments, but Dooley did that and has been thoroughly chastised for it. I hope Butch and staff redouble their efforts in OL recruiting, from this point forward. Going to have to grayshirt/blueshirt the kicker and long-snapper commits, IMHO, in order to fit a more OL in this class, than we might otherwise.

I can't remember the kids name but the left defensive end for Ole Miss was also a freshman that whooped our right OT's butt all night. I don't see development on the o-line whatsoever. That is where my frustration lies.

What development do you expect in 6 weeks when they just aren't very talented right now? They aren't going to get much bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, etc. during the season. And playing 1 freshman along your defensive line (a pure speed rusher...aka...he has one job, get to the QB) is much different than relying on 23 freshmen, some of whom just aren't very good right now.

Worley played bad last night but I find it hard to blame him after the beating he has endured this entire season and the fact that the coaches haven't shuffled that line around to try and find a combination that works.

No we can blame him for those first two int's. Especially the under thrown deep ball. You could just see the defense lose it's energy after that play.

Reactions: 1 person
If we are going to play the experience card, how does this team look with a QB with limited game experience and an influx of freshmen on the O line next season?

And replacing the heart of the defense with AJ Johnson?
I suspect the QB competition to be done by the end of spring practice. IMHO, Dobbs will overtake Peterman. He fits this offense the best, and he is a better escape artist when the pocket breaks down, like it has routinely with Worley.

I think the decision to redshirt Dobbs this season may be good in the long run, but I still think he was our best chance to win. Worley has more experience and I think that is why CBJ stuck with him, but the fact that he doesn't fit this offensive scheme well at all + our horrendous OL play = poor offensive production.

As for us losing AJ, yeah...that will sting a bit, but I think Maggit will be coming back. Maggitt is a big asset this year, but I don't think he's played at such a high level to make himself a sure NFL draft pick. With AJ really helping improve his draft stock by staying his senior year, Curt will probably follow suit and stay.

If he does indeed stay, He has all the tools to be a thumper at MLB, so I think they move him inside. Dillion Bates and Weatherd will take Maggitt's spot at OLB.

Some people on here think we should be this dynamic team, but what some of us fans dont't realize is we are playing True freshman. I mean 17 yr old kids vs sophmores, juniors, and seniors in college. The ones on here B***hing about losing dont see how these kids are giving their all. Butch and his staff are recruiting and getting great talent. Next year it will be awhole lot better the talent will show especially on offense. SO ALL YOU NAY SAYERS GO JUMP THE SHIP AND PULL FOR SOMEBODY ELSE. DONT COME BACK WHEN WE ARE KICKING A$$!!!!!!! #GBO

Reactions: 5 people
Coach Jones still has my support, 100%.

You cannot play 21 freshman, with a junior class that has lost 45% of its original members, a senior class that has lost 33% of its original members, a junior and senior class that has had to learn two offenses and three defenses, a offensive lineman with a torn ACL, two offensive linemen who were in high school last year, and expect to beat the #3 team in the country who has been recruiting and rebuilding for the last several years.

Get real people. Jones is the man for the job, and he will get it done. Might take some staff shuffling, sure.

But it's personnel. You cannot win in the SEC playing freshmen and sophomores. But the good thing about freshmen and sophomores is, they don't stay freshmen and sophomores.

If Jones can keep these players here, and can keep developing them, then if he doesn't have success you can call him a bad coach.

But he is working with what he has. And you can tell, he knows there are major issues, but like he said, there are no quick fixes. And half of you who are complaining couldn't do a better job. He said it like it is, you gotta just recruit, and you gotta keep working hard.

This team is not regressing, but the long and tough season is beginning to wear on them. Another drawback to playing youth. They are not used to the grind of SEC football.

I still think a bowl is possible. We are not anywhere off of what everyone thought we would be. Most people had Ole Miss as a toss up before we knew how good they really were. Very few people realistically expected a win tonight.

But there are still 3 more wins out there to be had, and I do believe that we can get them. I believe in Butch. Still think he's the best man to lead our team.
In before "But Alabama plays a freshman on the o line" :eek:lol:

I just watched it and I think everyone here should. Couple of things I took away from it are that he knows we have serious problems on the Oline and he really does understand what he is in for. I can tell from how he is speaking that its hurting him. One of the better lines I heard him say was "I'm not used to this". At the same time I think the realization of what it takes to be successful in the SEC is setting in. A whole different animal.

I will admit that I am not the most patient person and I probably expect more than is reasonable. The thing I respect most about CBJ is that he expects us as fans to hold him accountable. I really like the guy, I think he really does get it. It needs to start translating to the field pretty soon though.

If you didn't see the link in the other thread here its is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzlcZrUSRM&feature=youtu.be

LOL. He's not used to it. So we hired another guy in way over his head. Sweet.

Well, he's the coach that continues to punt on 4th & short in the opps side / a lead only to watch Darr miff the punt & the wheels come off his team. He's done it at UGA, UF, & UM. He's not willing to take the chances early to steal possessions or pts. Not saying it changes the outcomes, but the conservative play calling when we have the momentum certainly hasn't worked either.[/

So you don't believe in playing field position, huh?

We will see about that. Butch is in his second year. He is still playing the guys your guy Dooley left him. Come on man Dooley didn't even recruit O-linemen. I don't know of any of our O-line that can start for any other team in the SEC right now. But Butch has to play them because of the previous coach. We are playing 23 freshmen this year in the toughest conference in football. What do you expect. Butch will get it done.

I agree that Dooley left the cupboard bare and that our O linemen are subpar for SEC level competition. However, what is going to make that any different next season? More true freshmen ? I an very concerned about our O line next year as well since I do not think we have SEC talent to develop.

Against the number 3 team in the nation? That's just stupid. Every play call should have been desperate! We should have attacked like a cornered wild animal.

That's how you get blown out. Armchair coaching is not how you beat a top 10 team. What was the score when we kept pinning them back?

Against the number 3 team in the nation? That's just stupid. Every play call should have been desperate! We should have attacked like a cornered wild animal.

Did you read that in the Hal Mummy book of coaching? Good coaches don't think that way.

That's how you get blown out. Armchair coaching is not how you beat a top 10 team. What was the score when we kept pinning them back?

Like with the Florida game and you are inside the 30 and are struggling to get in the end zone, you have to take chances if he is serious about winning. Kicking field goals should only be for building on a touchdown lead.

He will live to regret not taking the Colorado job. The SEC is just too much for him to handle.

He is recruiting as well as anyone in the country. Our defense is incredible.

We managed against Utah State, arkansas State, Chattanooga, lost to GA and Fl by a few points, and were in the game with Old Miss and Oklahoma until the fourth quarter. Our offensive line is the problem, we all know this. Now, some of them have been hurt so we have a kid playing with a torn ACL. Blame Dooley, not Butch Jones.

Reactions: 3 people
This has been said for a decade...

Don't hang previous failures on this staff. They are only in year 2 of a significant rebuilding process. They are better all over the field except for oline. It's the final piece of the puzzle and hopefully we can get it solved soon.

Reactions: 7 people

You are wrong.....it would have been a blow out.....if we kick field goals, don't turn it over, and give them a long field the whole game....we have a chance in the fourth quarter.

All we had to do is QB sneak.

Guess you didn't see a beastly defense last night and a team who couldn't make one push up the middle, go back and look at our rushing from last night.. -23 yds before some garbage pickup late in the 4th, also all our positive runs were on the outside edge..

I just watched it and I think everyone here should. Couple of things I took away from it are that he knows we have serious problems on the Oline and he really does understand what he is in for. I can tell from how he is speaking that its hurting him. One of the better lines I heard him say was "I'm not used to this". At the same time I think the realization of what it takes to be successful in the SEC is setting in. A whole different animal.

I will admit that I am not the most patient person and I probably expect more than is reasonable. The thing I respect most about CBJ is that he expects us as fans to hold him accountable. I really like the guy, I think he really does get it. It needs to start translating to the field pretty soon though.

If you didn't see the link in the other thread here its is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzlcZrUSRM&feature=youtu.be
CBJ is truthful that he is not used to this; he is not used to playing tough SEC ranked teams; he is accustomed to mid-major success. He is accustomed to the brick sayings being accepted in a "feel good to be at the game" atmosphere. It's one thing to know the game; it's another thing to be of a coaching caliber to meet expectations within storied programs. He needs to carry his posse with him from program to program; are they up to the level of competing against SEC teams? CBJ is right---none of them is used to this; it's above their competency level.

The odds are very much with the offense on fourth and half a yard. And the fact that the ball is on the 50, and we have a solid defense, is all the more reason to go for it. It is an OPPORTUNITY for an offense like ours. He should have gone for it. If you can't sneak the ball and get half a yard, you might has well tell the team to get on the bus, playing field position isn't going to help--and our punter can't put it inside the 20 anyway. Jones did the same damn thing against florida--except the ball was on the florida 40! If you punt the ball, what's the best case scenario? That you get the ball on the Miss., say, 30 yard line? The situation is not much different than being at midfield--except maybe you get 3 points if your kicker hits a 45-yarder, and the odds of getting a half yard are MUCH higher than the odds of getting a turnover on the next possession. Failing that, let's say we hold Ole Miss to one first down on next possession and they punt: You are still at your 35 or 40 with the ball. Nothing has changed. You have to go for that first.

VN Store

Back