Just watched CBJ after game press conf.

What development do you expect in 6 weeks when they just aren't very talented right now? They aren't going to get much bigger, faster, stronger, quicker, etc. during the season. And playing 1 freshman along your defensive line (a pure speed rusher...aka...he has one job, get to the QB) is much different than relying on 23 freshmen, some of whom just aren't very good right now.

I expect to see some glimmer of potential. We have freshmen that play on the defensive side of the ball and we have for several years and though they make mistakes you can see the potential and they get better through the season. I don't even see the potential on the o-line. I see potential to get better in just about every other area on this team, but this line just isn't showing me any.

Guess you didn't see a beastly defense last night and a team who couldn't make one push up the middle, go back and look at our rushing from last night.. -23 yds before some garbage pickup late in the 4th, also all our positive runs were on the outside edge..

Go back and watch the play again.

Next year's recruiting class needs 6-8 offensive linemen, including 2 or 3 juco transfers. Can Jones ignore the team's needs another year? Don Shula once said the 3 things you need to win a Super Bowl are a good quarterback, a good offensive line, and a decent defense. We have one of the three.

Next year's recruiting class needs 6-8 offensive linemen, including 2 or 3 juco transfers. Can Jones ignore the team's needs another year? Don Shula once said the 3 things you need to win a Super Bowl are a good quarterback, a good offensive line, and a decent defense. We have one of the three.

It's not Butch that has overlooked it.

Well written logic!! I totally agree with you. Great post

Coach Jones still has my support, 100%.

You cannot play 21 freshman, with a junior class that has lost 45% of its original members, a senior class that has lost 33% of its original members, a junior and senior class that has had to learn two offenses and three defenses, a offensive lineman with a torn ACL, two offensive linemen who were in high school last year, and expect to beat the #3 team in the country who has been recruiting and rebuilding for the last several years.

Get real people. Jones is the man for the job, and he will get it done. Might take some staff shuffling, sure.

But it's personnel. You cannot win in the SEC playing freshmen and sophomores. But the good thing about freshmen and sophomores is, they don't stay freshmen and sophomores.

If Jones can keep these players here, and can keep developing them, then if he doesn't have success you can call him a bad coach.

But he is working with what he has. And you can tell, he knows there are major issues, but like he said, there are no quick fixes. And half of you who are complaining couldn't do a better job. He said it like it is, you gotta just recruit, and you gotta keep working hard.

This team is not regressing, but the long and tough season is beginning to wear on them. Another drawback to playing youth. They are not used to the grind of SEC football.

I still think a bowl is possible. We are not anywhere off of what everyone thought we would be. Most people had Ole Miss as a toss up before we knew how good they really were. Very few people realistically expected a win tonight.

But there are still 3 more wins out there to be had, and I do believe that we can get them. I believe in Butch. Still think he's the best man to lead our team.

Reactions: 1 person
Watch out for the negavols, I said the EXACT same thing and got chewed out.. They don't get truth and logic, those bastards want quick fixes and a new staff! Smdh!!!

Some people on here think we should be this dynamic team, but what some of us fans dont't realize is we are playing True freshman. I mean 17 yr old kids vs sophmores, juniors, and seniors in college. The ones on here B***hing about losing dont see how these kids are giving their all. Butch and his staff are recruiting and getting great talent. Next year it will be awhole lot better the talent will show especially on offense. SO ALL YOU NAY SAYERS GO JUMP THE SHIP AND PULL FOR SOMEBODY ELSE. DONT COME BACK WHEN WE ARE KICKING A$$!!!!!!! #GBO

Well, he's the coach that continues to punt on 4th & short in the opps side / a lead only to watch Darr miff the punt & the wheels come off his team. He's done it at UGA, UF, & UM. He's not willing to take the chances early to steal possessions or pts. Not saying it changes the outcomes, but the conservative play calling when we have the momentum certainly hasn't worked either.[/

So you don't believe in playing field position, huh?

He also thinks a guy named Neyland was stupid for doing it as well.

...hate to say it but, next season may be Jones' "hot-seat" season IF things do not show significant progress.

Progress ? To me-that's not losing at home to floundering SEC programs; winning a game as an underdog on the road OR at home and certainly-not being out of a game early in the 3rd quarter, regardless of the opponent.

As we learned when Jones was hired, the Tennessee football "brand" doesn't guarantee A-list coaches will come scurrying to Knoxville. Given that reality, I certainly hope that Jones' potential "hot-seat" doesn't become an ejector seat-meaning things have gone worse than expected.

...hate to say it but, next season may be Jones' "hot-seat" season IF things do not show significant progress.

Progress ? To me-that's not losing at home to floundering SEC programs; winning a game as an underdog on the road OR at home and certainly-not being out of a game early in the 3rd quarter, regardless of the opponent.

As we learned when Jones was hired, the Tennessee football "brand" doesn't guarantee A-list coaches will come scurrying to Knoxville. Given that reality, I certainly hope that Jones' potential "hot-seat" doesn't become an ejector seat-meaning things have gone worse than expected.

If this Administration and fan base doesn't give Butch Jones at least 4 complete signing classes before putting him on the " hot seat" then we might as well give up football. Change coaches again and it will be 2020 before anything changes. Let's not go into full panic mode until after the 2016 season. Hopefully we won't have to by then.

Progress ? To me-that's not losing at home to floundering SEC programs; winning a game as an underdog on the road OR at home and certainly-not being out of a game
early in the 3rd quarter, regardless of the opponent.

If there is a good coaching candidate available at the end of the season that would like to coach for UT, the AD needs to pull the trigger and part with Jones.

If there is a good coaching candidate available at the end of the season that would like to coach for UT, the AD needs to pull the trigger and part with Jones.

Who? Tell us who... It's your own pipe dream pal not gonna happen unless your Mr Haslem..

Or maybe we have an administration unwilling to pursue A-list coaches.Most times you get what you pay for.

I just watched it and I think everyone here should. Couple of things I took away from it are that he knows we have serious problems on the Oline and he really does understand what he is in for. I can tell from how he is speaking that its hurting him. One of the better lines I heard him say was "I'm not used to this". At the same time I think the realization of what it takes to be successful in the SEC is setting in. A whole different animal.

I will admit that I am not the most patient person and I probably expect more than is reasonable. The thing I respect most about CBJ is that he expects us as fans to hold him accountable. I really like the guy, I think he really does get it. It needs to start translating to the field pretty soon though.

If you didn't see the link in the other thread here its is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzlcZrUSRM&feature=youtu.be
Good post. I've said it all year, this coaching staff is learning the sec with the young players. He's not use to this league. But he'll get there. I love his attitude, and his mindset. I think he's a good coach playing with freshman, walk ons, and a program that was one of the worst in the sec(talent wise). I'm holding judgement until his players are here. He's bringing in a qb next year that fits the spread perfectly. A lot of fans on here will be eating crow.

And the sheep continue to say it..

Its a bowl game or bust this yr. Dude is making 3m a year n can't win 6 games.. But he gets it.. What he gets is that the sec is unlike any league n that this isn't the big east.

Baahhhhhh Baahhhhhh
We are going to be really good very soon. Patience grasshopper!
Go Vols!!

Some people on here think we should be this dynamic team, but what some of us fans dont't realize is we are playing True freshman. I mean 17 yr old kids vs sophmores, juniors, and seniors in college. The ones on here B***hing about losing dont see how these kids are giving their all. Butch and his staff are recruiting and getting great talent. Next year it will be awhole lot better the talent will show especially on offense. SO ALL YOU NAY SAYERS GO JUMP THE SHIP AND PULL FOR SOMEBODY ELSE. DONT COME BACK WHEN WE ARE KICKING A$$!!!!!!! #GBO

Not only freshman, but walk ons also. Hard to win with first year walk ons. It takes time. He's bringing in a lot of talent next year on both sides of the ball. Looks like another great recruiting class is taking shape.

Who? Tell us who... It's your own pipe dream pal not gonna happen unless your Mr Haslem..

The problem with just hiring new coordinators is it sets up another third year Dooley type of situation. There is also no guaranteed that our defensive coordinator will still be here next year if the season goes south.

If all this comes to pass, then it might just be for the best to part ways with the coach if there is a better candidate available.

VN Store

Back