Dooley's recruiting wasn't as bad as you think.

While I understand OP's post, I think it's safe to say anyone of us could recruit players to Tennessee with the facilities, tradition and opportunities that come with it. Dooley was, and still is, a joke.

Reactions: 1 person
Beside recruiting is not the line in the sand you have a good team in the SEC, helps but its team Leadership, Depth, Direction and Motivation is the foundation to a winning team

As others have said, this is a completely deficient point by OP.

Most of the 2010 class was thanks to Lane Kiffin, not Dooley. A bulk of Dooley's 2011 class were busts and his 2012 class is why we're in the position we're in at current.

1 DB in 2012 that made it into UT.

No OL in 2012.

1 LB (King) in 2012.

See that? That's awful. Dolly's recruiting was bad and he should feel bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Correct me if I'm wrong (as if that needs saying on VN) but didn't Lane bolt 2 weeks before NSD in 2010?

Therefore, wasn't he largely responsible for the 8 NFL players in Dooley's first class? Yes, Dools had to hold on to them, but he really can't be given credit for their recruitment.

Take that class away from him and examine his accomplishments again. Mediocre at best, at the school with the largest recruiting budget in the nation. Not to even mention his failure to target specific areas of weakness.

AV

This is the most telling aspect of DD's recruiting.

Last edited:
Dooley did a great job recruiting offensive players but he completely outsourced defensive side of the ball which is why he ended up failing. To be fair to him most head coaches focus on whatever their specialty was as assistants (Dooley's was WR's and you can see he had great success in that area at UT, and is now doing a great job with Cowboys).
Unfortunately for Dooley defense completely fell apart after Wilcox left - I think he got spooked after UK loss - figured Dooley was going to get fired so ran before that happened. It is quite amazing Sal ended up being as bad as he was given his years of experience in NFL and with Saban - but that was what ended up costing Dooley his job at UT. Also, while Wilcox was a good DC he was nowhere as successful recruiting compared to what Dooley and Chaney were able to do on offense.

Dooley recruited a few good players but you cant compete when you only have 3-4 guys per class that actually pan out and contribute. Look at all the 3 and 4 star guys who were busts and never contributed or left/got kicked off the team. It is a very long list.

Kiffin recruited Bray but also turned away Brice Petty and Tajh Boyd. Dooley had about 3 weeks to recruit, surely you are not suggesting that he was able to land that many 4 star recruits that late in the process without others having laid the foundation before him? He had virtually no real success as a head coach prior to UT.

It should be easy to recruit for Tennessee. Huge stadium, great facilities, great fan base, we put players in the NFL, good looking girls, knoxville is a pretty town, we play on national television and you can get a solid education. The fact is even with Dooley here we had decently ranked recruiting classes and he was a full blown idiot, so that proves to me that UT recruits itself. Now it takes a guy like Butch Mother effin Jones to recruit top five classes every year but he has some great tools to do so.

In 2010 Dooley signed 8 players currently on NFL rosters. These include Justin Hunter, James Stone, Mychal Rivera, Jawuan James, Da'Rick Rogers, Zach Fulton, Matt Sims, and Tyler Bray. Rajion Neal was recently cut by Green Bay. In 2011 Dooley signed A.J. Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Brian Randolph, Jordan Williams, and Antonio Richardson. In 2012 he signed Jason Croom, Alton Howard, Latroy Lewis, and 2 current NFL players Daniel McCullers and Cordarrelle Patterson. Granted numerous players over Dooley's 3 years didn't live up to expectations, but that happens in a lot of college programs.

Vonn Bell.

Reactions: 2 people
It should be easy to recruit for Tennessee. Huge stadium, great facilities, great fan base, we put players in the NFL, good looking girls, knoxville is a pretty town, we play on national television and you can get a solid education. The fact is even with Dooley here we had decently ranked recruiting classes and he was a full blown idiot, so that proves to me that UT recruits itself. Now it takes a guy like Butch Mother effin Jones to recruit top five classes every year but he has some great tools to do so.

I agree with this but I believe any coach thats avg or better can sign top 10 classes with little effort because of all the points you stated.

Hopefully butch can keep the mo going

notsureifserious.jpg

Yep

He did not elite players at the certain positions that is needed in this league...

1 DE- Who else other than Maggitt, who played LB
2.DT- OBrien, Williams- Undersized, good player but not elite M Jackson was a DE
3. OLB-Very little speed.
4. TE- Had Rivera and but little else
5. CB- Coleman.. Rest got the boot

Last edited:
I'm just trying to figure out why the OP is defending Dooley.

Because he probably does not see the world as black and white as you do. It's perfectly reasonable to highlight some things that Dooley (or anybody) did well even if he overall failed. Dooley did a very good job recruiting and building a great offense, but did a subpar job recruiting defense (and hired a wrong DC in Sal) which is why he ended up failing.

I had a dream the other night that I went out drinking with Dooley. we discussed bamboo farming at length

But according to the sunshine sheep butch only had high school talent for him to coach

Dude last game was senior night we have about 3-4 seniors that actually make an impact on the field ... Dooleys fault.

Lack of planning to have enough o line players also Dooleys fault.

We win 2-3 more games this year with a deeper oline and a little more depth in the dline and secondary

Last edited:

VN Store

Back