If we go 8-4?

So only 1 more win than 2014? I would consider 8-4 an underachievement. We were very close to winnng 10 in 2914. 9-10 wins this year should be the expectation.

Close to 10 wins in 2014? No offense train, but I didn't see it that way at all. Through 8 games we were 3-5. Among those losses was a 24 drubbing at Oklahoma, a 31 point beat down at OleMiss and 2 TD loss vs Bama in which were losing 27-0 at one point. As great as the SCar comeback win was, that was a 50/50 game at best that required 2 tds in 4 plus minutes and an overtime. Then mix in an embarrassing squeaker at Vandy and one could easily say that not only were we light years away from 10 wins, we were fortunate to get to 6.

8 regular season wins this year, imo, with the schedule we have, would be the appropriate expectation and a good year. Anything less a disappointment, anything more a great year.

Reactions: 3 people
I would say read Volnation before posting and starting another thread about Next year or At least run a poll and try not to be so lazy.

Patience---bread takes time to rise and this team will take time to get to the top. Anything happening to quick will only cause a disgruntle fan base.

Last edited:
As most have stated, 8-4 would be a solid next step. 7-5 would be underachieving and the knives will start coming out.

8-4 would be ok. Anything less and ill lose all faith in Jones. Jones needs to set the bar high, starting this year. Quit setting our season on a certain amount of wins. My point, if youre a head coach and you tell your team "lets just make a bowl" then that's pretty much saying "its ok to go 6-6 considering our goal". Just go out and win with no certain number in mind.

I posted this to another thread but it fits here as well - We are only one play away from starting a QB that has yet to take a snap in even a practice at UT. 8 wins this year with very limited injuries and better OL play. Any more wins than that is just a plus. Yes we have a lot more experience than we have had in a long time, but we are still a very young team and will still be relying on some Freshmen to produce.

I hate these "expectation" threads, yet here I am posting. Butch went out on a limb last year and said he wanted his team to go to a bowl. Given the previous year, and an all new OL, that was a bold statement.

IF, the OL improves, IF Dobbs stays healthy, IF the current players improve, IF the new recruits can make a difference, IF the defensive line plays better, IF Debord can make a difference, and finally, IF we have a lot of luck, with very few injuries, we should have a good season. If we win one more regular season game than we did last year I will be satisfied, not estatic. If we win more than that, then I'll be very happy for the team and fans. So much depends on variables that it's hard to predict.

People keep saying "we have to beat UF"...........do you really think UF will just roll over and give us that game? I have been following UT since Doug Dickey was coach. I have seen a lot of ups and downs. You don't stay on top forever. I have made the mistake as a lot of posters here make. Each week, I would put on my orange gear and get together with the guys and be climbing the wall till game time, only to go home dejected. It hurt to the bone (sorry catbone) to lose. So, when you mature you learn to just relax and keep your self grounded. If not, you will be a basket case in short time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If we go 8-4 we should all be freaking thrilled. That would easily propel Butch to another top ten recruiting class, and it would mark the improvement that we've all been anxiously awaiting.
If you're going to get grumpy after an 8 with regular season, at least wait until the guy has four recruiting classes on the field.

8-4 would be ok. Anything less and ill lose all faith in Jones. Jones needs to set the bar high, starting this year. Quit setting our season on a certain amount of wins. My point, if youre a head coach and you tell your team "lets just make a bowl" then that's pretty much saying "its ok to go 6-6 considering our goal". Just go out and win with no certain number in mind.

I wouldn't assume what's said in the media by CBJ is the same thing that's being said in the locker room.

8-4, regular season should be the expectation. That's not saying we couldn't possibly win more, but that should be the expectation.

Bowling Green
Western Carolina
Kentucky
South Carolina
North Texas
Vanderbilt

Those are games that we most definitely should win, and then we have a rebuilding Florida with a new head coach, a revenge game against Oklahoma at home, and Georgia at home. Pull two of those out and we have 8 wins. Momentum this season could be the deciding factor in games like Arkansas, Alabama, and Missouri; that's why I think Florida is the most important game on the schedule this year as Arkansas is the very next week.

8 wins would mean, that as long as we beat Bowling Green Western Carolina Kentucky N Texas and Vanderbilt, that we had beaten three out of the 7 of Oklahoma Florida Arkansas Georgia Alabama South Carolina and Missouri. I think we should all be pretty happy with that in 2015 and if we do better then it's just gravy!

Kidding? I'd take a 59-0 drubbing at Bama if that was our only loss and we finished 11-1.

Course but I can't emphasize how sick I am of these bandwagon bama tooters around here. I'm so ready for it to end you have no idea.

(all) In your opinion.

(My point, if youre a head coach and you tell your team "lets just make a bowl" then that's pretty much saying "its ok to go 6-6 considering our goal") If you are stating this to the team or even feel this about the season then IMO you should not be coaching at all. What coach would State or think that?

If Tennessee goes 8-4 they will play in the Outback or Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl against Michigan State,Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Rating a season solely on the record of the team is a little tough to do for me. For the sake of the thread I will say 8-4 is prob the bare minimum to keep the naysayers off Butch's back.

Course but I can't emphasize how sick I am of these bandwagon bama tooters around here. I'm so ready for it to end you have no idea.

Hear ya. Kinda sick of all the dubious streaks we have going right now. I'd like to see the Florida one end most, although I suspect the Georgia one is most likely to end first. Pretty sure the Bama and Florida ones extend to 9 and 11 respectively this year.

Most here fail to realize this is still a freshman-soph dominated team in the two deep depth chart.

VN Store

Back