If we go 8-4?

Of course volnation has mental health issues and think we should always be undefeated and there is nothing wrong with that but given the youth, inexperience and unfortunate mistakes (ie pigs fumble at the one), I think 8-4, with a top 15 ranking, plus bowl win would be fine with me

Most here fail to realize this is still a freshman-soph dominated team in the two deep depth chart.

I don't think our 2 deep is "dominated" with freshmen and sophomores. Consider......

QB Dobbs- junior
C Crowder- Senior
G Jackson - RS Senior
LT Blair- RS Junior
RT Kerbyson (?) - RS Senior
WR North - Junior
WR Howard - Senior
WR Pearson - Senior (24 years old)
WR Croom - RS Junior
WR Johnson - Senior
WR Smith - RS Soph
TE Ellis - RS Senior

S Randolph - RS Senior
S McNeil - Senior
DT Williams - RS Senior
DE/LB Maggitt - RS Senior
DE Lewis - RS Junior
LB Weatherd - Senior
CB Sutton - Junior
DT OBrien - RS Junior
LB Reeves-Maybin - Junior

I know we do have a lot of Sophs and perhaps freshmen who will play a big role on this team in 2015, but this list suggest we're not quite as young as most say we are.

Reactions: 5 people
Bo Pellini was fired despite seven consecutive nine win seasons, guess nebraska thought that was mediocre . So what level of mediocrity is acceptable in Vol Nation. IMO it should never be acceptable, given the parity in CFB 11-1 or 10-2 is a good season. :question:

Bo Pellini was fired despite seven consecutive nine win seasons, guess nebraska thought that was mediocre . So what level of mediocrity is acceptable in Vol Nation. IMO it should never be acceptable, given the parity in CFB 11-1 or 10-2 is a good season. :question:

Pellini was fired much more for reasons having to do with his contentious relationship/insubordination with the Nebraska brass than all his 9 win seasons.

Reactions: 1 person

IF UT has seven consecutive nine win seasons.....we could discuss this, but since we are looking for our first 9 win season in many years, it seems like a moot point at the moment.

Working your way back to 9 wins is a lot different than maintaining 9 wins.

I'd be happy with 8-4. I think the pre-season hype is already getting out of hand. We still have depth issues at QB, RB, and O-line. Our schedule is, as always, brutal.

ESPN is acting like we should cruise through Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, and Arkansas. That's pretty insane if you ask me. I think we'd be doing pretty good to go 3-1 or even 2-2 through that stretch. Georgia is loaded with talent. Florida is being underrated by the media. Arkansas might be a bad match-up for us.

If we go 8-4, I'd be pretty happy and if we go 9-3 or 10-2, I'd be delighted. If we win the SEC East, I'm going to look at is as a "positive surprise" rather than "failing to meet expectations."
I mostly agree with this assessment however I look at the Arkansas game a little differently. While I agree there will be some matchup issues for us I think there will be some huge athletic issues for Arkansas...just guess we'll have to put our guys in better places to be successful than the Hogs....I also am hoping our dline will be a little more suited for the power game this year...IDK...depends on quick progress from new and as always the main thing at any spot....INJURIES!!!

Of course the part left out of this equation was he being caught on tape vulgarly dissing the fans/administration and he just didn't have the PR abilities that allow a coach to continue winning 9 games and keep them happy and hoping for a breakout year...I agree...firing a proven HC is a dangerous and usually long fought battle afterwards (see the Vols)...but Pellini probably isn't the best example of this...He actually DARED them to fire him....

Of course the part left out of this equation was he being caught on tape vulgarly dissing the fans/administration and he just didn't have the PR abilities that allow a coach to continue winning 9 games and keep them happy and hoping for a breakout year...I agree...firing a proven HC is a dangerous and usually long fought battle afterwards (see the Vols)...but Pellini probably isn't the best example of this...He actually DARED them to fire him....

From day one with my limited knowledge of Bo I never felt that situation was a good fit for he or Nebraska....it just took a while for the patience to wear thin enough for Nebraska to "pull the trigger"...and I think his buyout went down substantially (not for sure on that though)

Pellini bit the hand that was feeding him but he was winning. Sometimes when you question authority you may get an answer you don't want. :hi:

If we go 8-4 how upset/happy will the fan base be? I think that 8-4 will be a pretty solid season! I would be real happy with that. Just curious what everybody wants/expects.

I would be neutral. I think that's the cut off for "meets expectations" this year. IMHO, this staff underperformed the available talent in '13. They "met expectations" but nothing more in '14. I would like to see them "exceed expectations" this fall.

Folks here don't like to hear it but UT doesn't need a "meets expectations" coach. UT needs an elite or at a minimum "exceeds expectations" coach. No need to bore anyone with endless debates about recruiting success, "time", "process", or any of that other stuff. All that matters ultimately is the product they put on the field and that measured by W's.

If someone wishes to say that the first couple of years were foundation building. I can live with that.... but this year we need to start seeing something built on that foundation other than promises and wishes for the perfect roster condition, experience, talent, depth, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

In the past two years, Mizzou had far from the perfect roster to win the East. Pinkel found a way to do it. UT now has much talent as Spurrier has ever had at USCe yet he found a way to win. This team has vastly more talent than any of Franklin's teams at Vandy... yet he won 9 in his 2nd and 3rd years.

Jones and his staff need to prove that they're worth a win or two per year... THIS fall.

I think 7-5 - 10-2. I will think we could realistically go 9-3 and 2016 make a run at entire SEC. That means beating UF, Arky and SC or UGA and winning games we should. If we win those games and beat OU we could go 10-2. Even if we lose to UF and Bama on road we could win all of our home games. We also need to beat Missouri which I thought was a joke in joining the SEC but has proved me wrong.

I'd be happy with 8-4. I think the pre-season hype is already getting out of hand. We still have depth issues at QB, RB, and O-line. Our schedule is, as always, brutal.

ESPN is acting like we should cruise through Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, and Arkansas. That's pretty insane if you ask me. I think we'd be doing pretty good to go 3-1 or even 2-2 through that stretch. Georgia is loaded with talent. Florida is being underrated by the media. Arkansas might be a bad match-up for us.

If we go 8-4, I'd be pretty happy and if we go 9-3 or 10-2, I'd be delighted. If we win the SEC East, I'm going to look at is as a "positive surprise" rather than "failing to meet expectations."

Spot on my friend. Our season will go as number 11 goes. Keep him healthy and we have a chance to win every single game we play. If he is injured (unless one of the freshmen turn out to be a stud) 6 - 6 or 7 - 5 is a real possibility. This is how important Dobbs is to the team and I hope that DeBord will keep from crashing him through the line so much on called QB draws. He may be , strong and elusive with the ball in his hands, but he isn't a running back and shouldn't be treated as such.

I would be neutral. I think that's the cut off for "meets expectations" this year. IMHO, this staff underperformed the available talent in '13. They "met expectations" but nothing more in '14. I would like to see them "exceed expectations" this fall.

Folks here don't like to hear it but UT doesn't need a "meets expectations" coach. UT needs an elite or at a minimum "exceeds expectations" coach. No need to bore anyone with endless debates about recruiting success, "time", "process", or any of that other stuff. All that matters ultimately is the product they put on the field and that measured by W's.

If someone wishes to say that the first couple of years were foundation building. I can live with that.... but this year we need to start seeing something built on that foundation other than promises and wishes for the perfect roster condition, experience, talent, depth, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

In the past two years, Mizzou had far from the perfect roster to win the East. Pinkel found a way to do it. UT now has much talent as Spurrier has ever had at USCe yet he found a way to win. This team has vastly more talent than any of Franklin's teams at Vandy... yet he won 9 in his 2nd and 3rd years.

Jones and his staff need to prove that they're worth a win or two per year... THIS fall.

Jones is the reason I think UT wins 8 this year. A top flight championship caliber coach wins more than 8 this year with the talent and experience on this roster.....Jones hasn't proven that he can exceed expectations on Saturday yet. At some point the results has to catch up with the talent if Jones is the man. Not sure he is.

It never ceases to amaze... there are many here who act as if ONLY UT has to replace players or deal with youth/depth/development/talent issues. EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM has some roster issue to deal with or some extreme case of injuries that can hurt their season. Some coaches deal with it... and some don't.

Mizzou after losing their best 2 DL's a year ago will now lose 4 of the 5 best ones from this year... and this from a team that "develops" talent. They don't recruit elite talent. They also lose their top 3 WR's a year after losing their top 3 WR's.... they return no WR with more than 5 catches in their career. Yet some of the same folks who want to set up excuses for UT's staff... just assume Pinkel will figure it out and beat UT again.

UF has roster issues and are in the midst of a coaching change.

USCe has significantly less talent than UT now and are no older or more experienced.

Bielema had a similar starting point as Jones and has not recruited as well but again many want to set up "just in case" excuses... MOST of UT's opponents have some similar story. Even Bama has to replace their starting QB, elite WR, and most of their starters.... BUT according to many, only UT has problems or can be hurt by potential injuries.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd be happy with 8-4. I think the pre-season hype is already getting out of hand. We still have depth issues at QB, RB, and O-line.

I disagree that UT's problems in these areas are abnormal compared to other programs at this point... probably somewhat better than the majority.

But let's play along and say you are right. If after 3 years these areas are still problems.... Why?

VN Store

Back