Could Butch leave?

Why the heck would you want Les Miles? How has he done a better job than Butch this year? Jeez that is full retard. Bama waxed their tails.

Reactions: 6 people
sure, I think just about everyone gets that. It doesn't change the fact that the east has been easier than usual. Would think that would help ease the pressure a bit. This year, blaming Dooley doesn't really fly as much imo

Not to be argumentative, but could we agree that the OL has been one of the weakest links since Butch has been here?

Reactions: 1 person
Uh...the east being down canceled out by the program having been nuked into rubble.

everyone knows the program was nuked. Most reasonable fans have had realistic expectations and are fine with the way things are. Are people so sensitive that they can't handle a simple statement that the division being less of a gauntlet would help the job be a little more bearable right now? My goodness.

Gotta go grab some popcorn..this oughta be fun.

deer_eating_popcorn.gif
Is the moon full or something?

Reactions: 8 people
I hate to be pedantic, but could he leave? I guess there is a non-zero chance he could

Will he leave? I'd say the odds are around .0000000000000000001 (repeating of course)

While I'm sure you are right people would complain on here, if we are basing this on results on the field, there is no comparison here. Les wins handily.

He also inherited a team built by Saban in a talent rich state. I don't think he would be able to recruit at the same level in Knoxville. Besides, you are looking at a 62 year old man vs a 47 year old man with a lot more drive and a lot more to prove. Don't want Knoxville to become a retirement village for coaches who have seen their better days with other programs.

Reactions: 6 people
The heavy lifting has been done. Butch is now ready to start reaping the benefits. I don't think he would consider leaving now. And anyone who wants him gone is a fool. He's the savior of Tennessee football, he'll be here for a long time, and eventually there will be a street named after him.

Reactions: 7 people
Not to be argumentative, but could we agree that the OL has been one of the weakest links since Butch has been here?

yes, but that doesn't really change my thought that the division being down would help with stress level. I would think that if Florida , Mizzou, USC, and UGA were as good as they have been, the stress he is feeling would be far worse. The timing is good as the rise of the program is coming at a time when the rest of the division is struggling for the most part. It's there for the taking, so I would think the stress of coaching in this league would be lower for that reason

Just read these quotes on Tennessean.

Butch Jones: SEC coaching takes years off life

Now, I think it would be crazy to leave when you have the talent returning that Butch has, however, this does NOT sound like a coach that is loving the pressures of the SEC.

Any other thoughts? Insights? Could he pull an Urban?

Quit reading the Tennesseean. The only worthwhile thing that rag could do is offer John Adams a job to get him out of Knoxville.

Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee is one of the top coaching jobs in the country. Butch is here until he retires or gets fired.

Reactions: 5 people
He also inherited a team built by Saban in a talent rich state. I don't think he would be able to recruit at the same level in Knoxville. Besides, you are looking at a 62 year old man vs a 47 year old man with a lot more drive and a lot more to prove. Don't want Knoxville to become a retirement village for coaches who have seen their better days with other programs.

I can't say these aren't good points. Honestly, it's a silly hypothetical that I brought up that will never happen in a million years.

But on field results matter and Les has a much better resume. Here's hoping that starts changing next year.

I have never thought much of Les Miles..ever. Butch won't win less than 8 anymore either. Miles was gift wrapped a loaded team and has steadily slipped. Butch started with a load of horse manure, and is steadily climbing. More impressed with Butch at this point

Reactions: 11 people
I have never thought much of Les Miles..ever. Butch won't win less than 8 anymore either. Miles was gift wrapped a loaded team and has steadily slipped. Butch started with a load of horse manure, and is steadily climbing. More impressed with Butch at this point

Me too

I can't say these aren't good points. Honestly, it's a silly hypothetical that I brought up that will never happen in a million years.

But on field results matter and Les has a much better resume. Here's hoping that starts changing next year.

He has been coaching a lot longer and not a good comparison at this point in Butch's career. Maybe if you looked at Miles early record at OSU which was 4-7, 8-5, 9-4 and 7-5 which makes him about the same as Butch. I think Butch would also have about the same record as Les if he took over LSU after Saban..

Reactions: 2 people
It's amazing to me at how fragile a coach's job can be. Was watching Finebaum. Les Miles has a 77% win rate, and he's toast. Richt hasn't done bad either - long record of 8 or more wins. Here we are, bowl eligible and damn happy about it (except for negavols).
And then there is ol' Gus down at Auburn. Wasn't that long ago, he was in the mix for the national title. His seat is warm.

Dad always used to say: "You can't win today's games on yesterday's home runs." The SEC can and will eat a coach alive. (Ask Spurrier). Would love to see a Saban meltdown in some upcoming seasons.

LOL. No way CBJ puts in three hard years stacking all those bricks, then bolts right before they're all in place. He has aged ten years in the last three, though.

If you want to worry, worry about Les Miles or Dan Mullen going to SCAR, assembling a topnotch staff and making the East more competitive.

Reactions: 3 people
The heavy lifting has been done. Butch is now ready to start reaping the benefits. I don't think he would consider leaving now. And anyone who wants him gone is a fool. He's the savior of Tennessee football, he'll be here for a long time, and eventually there will be a street named after him.

The heavy lifting never stops in the SEC and the fans will never be happy. Recruiting at LSU takes little to no effort. It's a better job.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back