Could Butch leave?

Tennessean newspaper IS a rag & I'm a subscriber! What happened to the VN reports from the Chattanooga paper? The writer (Patrick?) Is the best. Butch over the mad hatter: no-brainer. :whistling:

Anyone who thinks Butch Jones is going to run away from a challenge doesn't know him very well or pay attention to much he says. He's not going anywhere on his own. He'll have to be ran out of Knoxville. The way things are trending, doesn't look like that'll be happening anytime time soon. GoVols!

Reactions: 3 people
deer_eating_popcorn.gif
Is the moon full or something?

Almost, VN will be a big bunch of laughs the next 2 days.

Reactions: 1 person
I have never thought much of Les Miles..ever. Butch won't win less than 8 anymore either. Miles was gift wrapped a loaded team and has steadily slipped. Butch started with a load of horse manure, and is steadily climbing. More impressed with Butch at this point

Agree...I wouldn't take LM over CBJ anyway.

Only open job he might consider would be VT, based on his history with the AD. Will he go? No... If he does? Guess I'll be shopping for a new mattress.

It wouldn't make sense to go tthru what he has here, finally get the team where he wants, then go start over with the same pressure and heartache.

There are only two or three teams he could leave for and inherit a better situation but none of those teams are losing their coaches. VT, Mizzou, Miami, South Carolina and LSU are all in worse positions than TN right now. Butch has put TN in position to challenge for the SEC / national championship next year so there is no way is he leaving.

Lol what's more funny is that there's some posters on here that wouldn't mind to see Butch Jones leave. Seriously? Would you want to start all over again? Butch has done a good job rebuilding this program that Dooley ruined. Sure, he's made some dumb in-game coach decisions and he may not be like Nick Saban, but we wouldn't be where we are right now if it wasn't for Butch. More than likely we go 9-4 this season if we win against Vandy and our bowl game. When is the last time we've done that? Just let that sink in.

First prove self in SEC then leave. That's what Urban did. I'm not sure Urban is under less pressure where he is now. It sounds like the wife has concerns and if the wife's not happy he will leave.:good!:

Last edited:
CBJ is smart enough to have learned from the mentors he's had as he has inherited strong programs (though in lower divisions), so he knows what "success" looks like.

In the SEC, though, success is more than just wins over the cupcake teams you're expected to beat....

....when he starts racking up the wins against ranked opponents...then his reputation will be solidified.

Until then, yeah, he understands the SEC coaching stress.

If we had LSU's schedule we would be 5-5 plus Les beat Florida.

or we could be 7-4....8-3...but we'll never know.

LSU did beat UF....after their starting QB was suspended...come to think of it...other than UGA being UGA...the Gators haven't been the same since

Not to be argumentative, but could we agree that the OL has been one of the weakest links since Butch has been here?

Butch's first year the O-Line was the team strength, because of players left from previous coaches. Then last year he had to break in an entirely new OLine with FIVE new starters. I wouldn't see the Oline being somewhat of a liability until recently is not Butch's fault. It is the fault of massive turnover in the unit between 2013-14. It insanely difficult to break in a new Oline in the SEC.

Lol what's more funny is that there's some posters on here that wouldn't mind to see Butch Jones leave. Seriously? Would you want to start all over again? Butch has done a good job rebuilding this program that Dooley ruined. Sure, he's made some dumb in-game coach decisions and he may not be like Nick Saban, but we wouldn't be where we are right now if it wasn't for Butch. More than likely we go 9-4 this season if we win against Vandy and our bowl game. When is the last time we've done that? Just let that sink in.

Agree. It is easy to see that the team is getting better under Jones. The problem on this board is that we have a small very vocal group of fans that want any coach gone that does not meet their agenda

Reactions: 2 people
Agree. It is easy to see that the team is getting better under Jones. The problem on this board is that we have a small very vocal group of fans that want any coach gone that does not meet their agenda

The problem is that the majority of the fan base is scared of change, and as a result, does not demand excellence.

Reactions: 6 people
The problem is that the majority of the fan base is scared of change, and as a result, does not demand excellence.

"Demanding excellence"...is that what we're calling powerlessly flapping our gums these days? :)

Reactions: 10 people

I mean I understand that we're Tennessee and we demand excellence but Butch can only do so much. Being a head coach at an SEC school is never an easy job. I don't care how good of a coach you are. That's what a lot of posters on here fail to realize. Some coaches do better than other coaches and some coaches do worse than other coaches. That's just the way it is.

VN Store

Back