Game Thread Lady Vols vs Chattanooga

"I'm definitely feeling better every week, and I do expect to be 100 percent very soon," DeShields said.

"It wasn't very pretty," Warlick said. "I'm not very happy. We'll take the win and move forward."

I wonder how people will feel when Texas comes to town and stomps us into the ground -- which is what will happen if we don't wake the hell up and start playing closer to our potential.

I'm convinced our coaches are smoking the bong before games with some of these lineups.

I thought the exact same thing on the drive home from the game. I know Cooper is still green, but those four have All-American written all over them. The others seem lost and confused for the most part.

Right now I'm seeing Cooper, Deshields, Russell, and Graves 30 minutes plus and the fifth slot is up for grabs.

I wonder if he double or triple her salary could we get Chris Dailey to leave Uconn and become the head coach at UT or would she laugh... Honestly if this turns out to be a flop season I say new coach new staff new everything.. Hell I'll even take Bruce Pearl back at this point lol

Holly's interview after the game was frustrating for me. She talked about the ball getting stuck in players hands, not moving the ball, not playing defense and shooting too many threes. Last time I checked I thought it was the job of the head coach to call timeouts, chew some butt and straighten the mess out. Why wasn't that done? I know somebody will come back with you weren't in the huddle how do you know she didn't? I know because I can tell by the demeanor. We also need an eight player rotation with the rest getting mop up duty. Wholesale substitutions don't work in the women's game. Thanks to DD for saving the team last night.

Reactions: 2 people
That was a bit frightening
No my friend, that was a bit typical of Holly. She really does not know how to manage a game! These are the cupcake teams we are playing...anyone with any basketball knowledge knows you do not kill your own momentum. I fear for this team...so much talent that will be wasted!

Reactions: 1 person
At least Holly had enough sense to put both Cooper and Diamond in the game for the last few minutes. She has in some games tried to play them on separate teams and that is not good. They need to play together and we might add either Jackson or Nared when she gets healthy to Russell and Graves. We could have a three minute team composed of Reynolds, Carter, Dunbar, Middleton and Moore or Jones. They maybe could give the starters a three minute rest break three times a game.
After the first quarter Chattanooga beat us 50 to 33 that is ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 people
I think it is going to take the former players ranting and raving on social media and in the press to change what is going on with Holly. I know many of them are sick of the UConn praise and want our Lady Vols to return to dominance and I think when they start voicing their concerns on Twitter and through other mediums that's when change will take place. I am not for Holly losing her job but she is just not Head Coaching material and Hart has to see that before it is too late

I think it is going to take the former players ranting and raving on social media and in the press to change what is going on with Holly. I know many of them are sick of the UConn praise and want our Lady Vols to return to dominance and I think when they start voicing their concerns on Twitter and through other mediums that's when change will take place. I am not for Holly losing her job but she is just not Head Coaching material and Hart has to see that before it is too late

That will never happen.

At least Holly had enough sense to put both Cooper and Diamond in the game for the last few minutes. She has in some games tried to play them on separate teams and that is not good. They need to play together and we might add either Jackson or Nared when she gets healthy to Russell and Graves. We could have a three minute team composed of Reynolds, Carter, Dunbar, Middleton and Moore or Jones. They maybe could give the starters a three minute rest break three times a game.
After the first quarter Chattanooga beat us 50 to 33 that is ridiculous.

As i posted before it`s not Carter fault that the guard play has been poor. To be fair Cooper play has been poor to. Carter is not a point she is more of a 2 guard. Right now she don`t have confidence in shooting the ball. Holly has done a poor job with the guard rotation. Move Carter back to the 2 guard and let her play with more freedom.

As i posted before it`s not Carter fault that the guard play has been poor. To be fair Cooper play has been poor to. Carter is not a point she is more of a 2 guard. Right now she don`t have confidence in shooting the ball. Holly has done a poor job with the guard rotation. Move Carter back to the 2 guard and let her play with more freedom.

For that alone is why she (Holly) shouldn't be the head coach, she was a guard and so was Jolette yet our guard play has really been struggling

That will never happen.

It will if it begins to take the program away from everything Pat Summit set the program up to be. Players (past and probably presence) hold Pat really high in honor (as they should) and before they allow the program to fall off like La Tech, Old Dominion, USC and places like that I believe our former stars will speak out

I wonder if he double or triple her salary could we get Chris Dailey to leave Uconn and become the head coach at UT or would she laugh...

She'd be out of her mind to come to UT and UT would be out of their mind to pursue her. She's only a year or two younger than Holly and when UT gets a new HC they need to look for someone young and outside the UT tree IMO. I know, that last bit seems like a slap against Pat and Tyler, but it's what I think. The program needs some critical out-of-the-box thinking. Dailey is outside the tree but she's never going to be at UT.

Look, I'm as concerned as you and others, but Holly is the coach. I want her to get this right. I actually think this team will eventually be a force to be reckoned with. I don't "blindly" support Holly, but I also don't want to toss her aside for Chris Dailey.

I wouldn't worry about UConn. We don't want them. At this rate Geno will smell blood in the water and put a shock and awe campaign on this program the likes of which we've never seen. 50 points+ victory.

The way we are playing and the way they play 50 would be a good night :wacko:
I really am bummed out about our game last night. It just doesn't seem that complicated to me. We certainly have the talent, why can't we put together a solid effort. Its not Holly shooting 20% from the 3 pt line. As much as I would like to take the easy way out & point to her, the LV's are just not getting it done. Everyone says we have the best talent on this team. Ok, where is it?

The way we are playing and the way they play 50 would be a good night :wacko:
I really am bummed out about our game last night. It just doesn't seem that complicated to me. We certainly have the talent, why can't we put together a solid effort. Its not Holly shooting 20% from the 3 pt line. As much as I would like to take the easy way out & point to her, the LV's are just not getting it done. Everyone says we have the best talent on this team. Ok, where is it?

I made this point in the expectations thread but the LVs missed tons of wide open shots. Despite all the turnovers and miscues, wide open shots means that the offense scheme is working but the execution (putting the ball through the rim) is not.

It is surprising that there are so many UCONN fans on this board. Don't they have a Praise the team/coach board of their own where the Lady Vols can be constantly denigrated?

...Everyone says we have the best talent on this team. Ok, where is it?

This team is talented, no doubt. But right now they don't play together very well as a unit. They don't anticipate each other's moves very well. The floor spacing is poor and too often a player literally looks for somebody to pass to, as opposed to it being second nature. The defense, which seems ok, is actually not. Players are out of position too often. Chattanooga consistently got open looks in the last three quarters of last night's game. I kept screaming for the LV's to head to the corners and the three point line on defense. Sometimes they did but often they did not.

I don't know how Holly structures her practices, but I have long had the feeling that there is not enough emphasis on full court scrimmaging, shooting drills, and passing drills.

These players don't yet know how to play with each other. It'll get better, but will it get better enough to compete for a championship?

I made this point in the expectations thread but the LVs missed tons of wide open shots. Despite all the turnovers and miscues, wide open shots means that the offense scheme is working but the execution (putting the ball through the rim) is not.

I am less sure of this than are you. Last season, when both Russell and Harrison were missing, I thought the offensive scheme worked well enough to get Burdick et al open shots. They just didn't hit for a high enough percentage.

But so far this season, I don't yet have that sense. Something seems "forced" about the offense. It appears as if every made basket or even every shot attempt is a monumental struggle.

A higher shooting percentage would definitely help, but the question for me is, is their something systemic in the offense and the way it is structured that is causing the poor shooting?

I am less sure of this than are you. Last season, when both Russell and Harrison were missing, I thought the offensive scheme worked well enough to get Burdick et al open shots. They just didn't hit for a high enough percentage.

But so far this season, I don't yet have that sense. Something seems "forced" about the offense. It appears as if every made basket or even every shot attempt is a monumental struggle.

A higher shooting percentage would definitely help, but the question for me is, is their something systemic in the offense and the way it is structured that is causing the poor shooting?

Your prior point about the Lvs lack of movement off the ball is a good one. The team is lacking a degree of cohesiveness and I agree that this platoon approach is not helping. Some of the problem also lies with our Frosh PG. She is not seeing lots of options and making some bad decisions (along with a lot of plus plays); she should get better on the floor general dimension as the season goes on. At some point, Deshields needs to become the teams go to player as well.

It is surprising that there are so many UCONN fans on this board. Don't they have a Praise the team/coach board of their own where the Lady Vols can be constantly denigrated?

They do, but if anyone goes on there and does anything but praise uconn gino, they ban them. So all their jerks come on here and try to pretend: 1) they are LV fans, or 2) they are unbiased, good guy basketball fans. :eek:lol::eek:lol:

We are a very open forum and allow posters that would be banned on many other sites. That's good; that's bad.

We don't mind UConn fans who are respectful and here to discuss the game, but if some are trolling or become annoying you guys need to use the report button and one of the mods of I will take a look.

VN Store

Back