Trey Smith!

If only this staff could develop and coach.

You're like the guy who has no friends/family and therefore no where to go on Thanksgiving. You get invited to Thanksgiving Dinner by a coworker and after you have three helpings of everything you tell the wife the turkey was dry and then tell the coworker than you think he sucks at his job.

Sometimes keeping your mouth shut is a good thing...

Reactions: 5 people
Trey Smith on his decision to choose to go to the University of Tennessee, after speaking about the relationship he has with the players, "....the things Coach Jones has in place, you know, from being..to be successful, not only in football, but in regards to life after football.."

He's already better at it than a lot of our fans.

Welcome to Tennessee Mr. Smith! Go Vols!!!

Once again Volly you bring logic to an illogical universe known as VolNation.

Good job lady... plus 1 for you.

I agree with you. Just stating that guys like wylo are negative Nancys who are Vol fans. I do wish he would be a little less negative but maybe thats just how his wired :)

Wylo isn't like some of the other "negavols". He's more like an irritating little brother who means well. He is a Vol fan period.
Some of the others I do question who they actually pull for.

Just saw ESPN's "College Football Live" (replay) and at the very end of the show they brought up the Trey Smith situation and showed a picture of Urban Meyer with Trey. The hostess said "The top high school recruit in the country is in Jackson Tennessee and that is where Urban Meyer AND Nick Saban were yesterday. David Pollack...where is Trey Smith going?"

Pollack: "He's going to Alabama...he's going to Bama".

They didn't even mention Tennessee as a possibility.

Pollock never says anything good about UT. I guess he is still pissed about the GA game. At least, Greg McElroy is allot less biased. He does say good things about UT when they deserve them.

You've been hurt. Now shut up about it. :boredom:

Ive havent been hurt in any form. To me it just shows the sensitive nature of the fanbase. Given the history of the program over the last 8-10 years, I guess its warranted. To me it appears that we are trying our best to convince ourselves we are heading toward being an elite program while knowing in the back of our minds we are not.

For instance take this Smith commit. Good sign the program might not be as bad as some say. It also proves something we already knew, CBJ is a good recruiter. Kid appears to be a class act and (imo) judging by his demeanor, was probably headed to Tennessee regardless of who the coach is. I thought he would go to Alabama and im glad I was wrong about that. However, what it doesn't do is prove that Butch Jones is a better coach than when he got embarrassed in Nashville two weeks ago. It doesnt teach our defense how to line up properly, take proper angles, cover wide recievers and tackle ball carriers.

Yet on Volnation, if you are not bowing at the alter of Butch to show how great he is, you are not a true fan. Sure he deserves credit for good recruiting, he has been doing that since he got here. He has also fielded poorly coached teams that fail to execute proper fundamentals of football since he got here, and signing a 5 star lineman doesnt change that. A good showing in the MCB might.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Ive havent been hurt in any form. To me it just shows the sensitive nature of the fanbase. Given the history of the program over the last 8-10 years, I guess its warranted. To me it appears that we are trying our best to convince ourselves we are heading toward being an elite program while knowing in the back of our minds we are not.

For instance take this Smith commit. Good sign the program might not be as bad as some say. It also proves something we already knew, CBJ is a good recruiter. Kid appears to be a class act and (imo) judging by his demeanor, was probably headed to Tennessee regardless of who the coach is. I thought he would go to Alabama and im glad I was wrong about that. However, what it doesn't do is prove that Butch Jones is a better coach than when he got embarrassed in Nashville two weeks ago. It doesnt teach our defense how to line up properly, take proper angles, cover wide recievers and tackle ball carriers.

Yet on Volnation, if you are not bowing at the alter of Butch to show how great he is, you are not a true fan. Sure he deserves credit for good recruiting, he has been doing that since he got here. He has also fielded poorly coached teams that fail to execute proper fundamentals of football since he got here, and signing a 5 star lineman doesnt change that. A good showing in the MCB might.

Not speaking for Butchna, only myself.

I'm just surprised at how you turned in such drastic fashion. You went from one extreme to the other, overnite.

Ive seen that happen, rarely, but it has happened. Just didn't expect it from you.

Reactions: 1 person

I have to agree with the last poster. You're kind of drastic, maybe too much caffeine? To say that on Volnation, if you don't bow to CBJ it means you're not a true fan means you really aren't reading Volnation, or you are only reading what you want to. We are all disappointed in our season. But it's really the first disappointing season under CBJ. Has he blown some calls? Yes he has. Made bad decisions, yes. But you discount the fact that we were plagued with injuries this year, and some, (a lot I believe) of the blame of bad play goes to Dobbs on offense. Switching to a new defensive scheme along with all of the defensive injuries caused a lot of issues on defense. You're over simplifying the issues we've had this year. Now, with that being said, I think we should do better next year with a new QB, JG hopefully, he seems to have the better tools that JD. Better defense and 2nd year with the same scheme. If we are just as disappointing next year with a healthy team, I too, and I'm a very positive Vol fan, will think it's time for CBJ to start looking elsewhere. I'm not saying we have to win the National Championship. But we should win the ones were supposed to and maybe one or two where we are underdogs. That is my expectation. Oh, and Go Vols beat Nebraska!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I have to agree with the last poster. You're kind of drastic, maybe too much caffeine? To say that on Volnation, if you don't bow to CBJ it means you're not a true fan means you really aren't reading Volnation, or you are only reading what you want to. We are all disappointed in our season. But it's really the first disappointing season under CBJ. Has he blown some calls? Yes he has. Made bad decisions, yes. But you discount the fact that we were plagued with injuries this year, and some, (a lot I believe) of the blame of bad play goes to Dobbs on offense. Switching to a new defensive scheme along with all of the defensive injuries caused a lot of issues on defense. You're over simplifying the issues we've had this year. Now, with that being said, I think we should do better next year with a new QB, JG hopefully, he seems to have the better tools that JD. Better defense and 2nd year with the same scheme. If we are just as disappointing next year with a healthy team, I too, and I'm a very positive Vol fan, will think it's time for CBJ to start looking elsewhere. I'm not saying we have to win the National Championship. But we should win the ones were supposed to and maybe one or two where we are underdogs. That is my expectation. Oh, and Go Vols beat Nebraska!!!

You view me as being drastic because of the lens you chose to view people that have lost support for CBJ. I always have and always will supported this program. I have been hammered for supporting players. The reason I am willing to do that is because the players are the program.
The difference is I don't think this is the first disappointing season under CBJ. The previous are just more easily excused because of the state of the program when he arrived. In CBJ first season, a disciplined team beats Vanderbilt and goes to a bowl game. In his second season, a disciplined football team beats Florida. To remain fair, I think the other loses we were just outmatched. In 2015, a disciplined football team doesn't drop 3 games where it held 14 point leads and a 4th quarter lead against Alabama. If it were just one or two, maybe you can excuse it, but all four? This year, a disciplined football team doesn't lose to Vandy and USC. Maybe one, and we can just chalk it up as a bad game.
So I have hit the point that I have seen enough to know that Jones does not have the ability to field a well coached fundamentally sound football team. If he did, we would not see 4 years of the inability to do so.
I'm not saying fire the guy. To be honest, I don't really care what they do. Ill be there to support the guys regardless. I just view football very simply. You do not need flashy gimmicks to win at the highest levels. The football teams that are consistently good do one thing well, the execute basic fundamentals. We have four years of tape to view that Tennessee does not.
You add that to the fact that CBJ is a complete PR disaster off the field. He says things on a constant basis that everyone knows are not true. Why?
I hope that Butch Jones is the coach here for the next 20 years. I don't give a crap is Britney Spears is the coach as long as Tennessee field a fundamentally sound football team. SO if CBJ is here 10-20 years from now, that means he hired people that know how to do that. My issue now, is I don't think that is going to happen and so we are delaying the inevitable. Good thing is my opinion is meaningless. I don't make any decisions. I don't boycott games to get a point across and other nonsense. I have no inside information or influence and hold no power at Tennessee. I simply support them when I can financially and in person and use them to teach my kids lessons and enjoy spending time with them.

LT or RT?? What does that spell for Richmond?

Spells nothing for Richmond. He was a 5* himself and was a freshman at one of the most difficult positions to develop at because of the physicality of the position. He will be fine with the added strength and we will have two strong bookend tackles to look forward to for the next years!

You need to get a dictionary and learn what the word "regress" means. I think you're confused.

From reading the posts, I think he knows what the word 'regressing' means.

verb (used without object)
1. to move backward; go back.
2. to revert to an earlier or less advanced state or form.
noun
3.the act of going back; return.
4.the right to go back.
5.backward movement or course; retrogression.

tumblr_mwjxyvUCvm1t2actoo1_500.gif

Attachments

• tumblr_mwjxyvUCvm1t2actoo1_500.gif
    tumblr_mwjxyvUCvm1t2actoo1_500.gif
    983.8 KB · Views: 1

VN Store

Back