Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer? (Merged)

How would you feel about Fulmer as AD?

• Total voters
Doug Matthew's said Fulmer isn't interested in the position on 104.5 in Nashville. Also the board made it a requirement that the new AD must be in the current position elsewhere. Pretty much eliminating a lot of shenanigans.

That's not a bad requirement. At least they will have some idea what's expected of the AD.

To the folks on this forum, what do you think an athlethic director's job is? It is not just watching games and hiring and firing. He has budgets to work on, TV contracts to respond to, money to be raised, building and updating facatilities, and a mountain of other non football tasks. An AD is a financial wizard.

Reactions: 4 people
:rock:At this stage in a search for an AD and a new incoming UT Chancellor with absolutely no athletic experience and Fulmer's age and experience, I think he could be the answer to our Athletic Director problem. Remember East Tennessee State hired him to completely re-establish their football program. Vol Fans lets get things moving in that direction.
:good!:

Me likey :clapping:

He may not be able to do it. But he would give his all to win us NCs in football. Trickle down economics at it's best.

He can hire an Asst. for each sport an accountant and PR person too. This ain't no rinkydinkville production.

Release the Beast!

Can't tell if you're sure or not

How do you feel about firing him if/when his hires fail? His track record of hiring coaches is a major concern.

I get that some of you felt bad watching him cry after he was fired, but he has no business being the athletic director.

Been crying since homievolsfan

To the folks on this forum, what do you think an athlethic director's job is? It is not just watching games and hiring and firing. He has budgets to work on, TV contracts to respond to, money to be raised, building and updating facatilities, and a mountain of other non football tasks. An AD is a financial wizard.

Exactly. Some don't get that. They just want someone they think will fire and hire who they want.

Reactions: 3 people
Well then what is it?

You dismiss a guy for job performance and then bring him back for a job he has zero experience for. I don't get the logic.

Your logic would argue that a bad player can't be a good coach. Fulmer was a great coach at one time, but like, Bowden and Spurrier, great coaches will fall eventually. Him being an AD is an entirely different animal. I think if it was possible, he'd be a great AD for UT. For most, it'll just be a position. For him, it would be much, much more.

I wish Fulmer could be our AD....nobody loves the vols more than him and hes a good recruiter and an awesome o line coach..plus he would be great for the entire university and the education would improve as well cause he would do everything in his power to help this school....he would be better than anyone we have ever had!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Well then what is it?

You dismiss a guy for job performance and then bring him back for a job he has zero experience for. I don't get the logic.

It wouldn't be weird at all. He obviously loves UT and virtually everyone involved with his firing is gone.

Reactions: 1 person
The downside with Fulmer is that he's just gonna give jobs to his buddies.

The upside with Fulmer, is that his buddies are great at what they do.

Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer?

"I have really enjoyed getting involved with Dr. (Joe) DiPietro on the President's Council and doing some things with him," Fulmer said of the university's president. "They've got a process (in hiring an athletics director) in place and I'm just anxious to see what that process brings." When asked on the local radio show "Jared & The GM" earlier this week what he thought about listeners who called in saying he should be the Vols AD, Fulmer said, "I think they're pretty smart."

Sounds to me like CPF is more than a little interested in the AD position and I'm not against it one bit. I know Blackburn seems to be the unanimous choice among the fan base but I personally believe Fulmer would make great AD.

Not only bring a VFL back to our program, but also redeem ourselves for the wrongdoing we did to him. It's a win-win, in my opinion. Not to mention, I believe he would be an amazing AD.

Reactions: 3 people
I am family friends with Coach Fulmer and he has talked about it before but I seriously doubt this will ever happen. He still loves UT without a doubt and I would be surprised if he would turn down any off for the AD position... I would root for him but like I said it won't happen and probably for his best interest as far as how he is regarded in VolNation. And by the way if there was anything happening as far as in the works I wouldn't know about it until you guys do.

VN Store

Back