Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer? (Merged)

How would you feel about Fulmer as AD?

• Total voters
Your logic would argue that a bad player can't be a good coach. Fulmer was a great coach at one time, but like, Bowden and Spurrier, great coaches will fall eventually. Him being an AD is an entirely different animal. I think if it was possible, he'd be a great AD for UT. For most, it'll just be a position. For him, it would be much, much more.

Going from player to coach isn't comparable. There's a reason everybody stopped letting coaches be ADs. There are a few with the skill set who still do it, but not many.

Not sure really how I feel about that. If he came in and restored the Vols to glory it would be great! Can he do it? I don't know. I do know if he can't get it done and is fired again that would be hard to watch. But if he thinks he can get it done then go for it! He's a big boy and he knows what he is getting into. I do know this no one cares more than CPF!

Reactions: 1 person
Eh... would he work like heck? Would he need a 60 million buy out?

I would pass... nice guy, but not likely a good fit at this stage.

Eh... would he work like heck? Would he need a 60 million buy out?

I would pass... nice guy, but not likely a good fit at this stage.
I know him and I know that he would work like a mad man if he got the job... Nobody loves UT more than him.

Reactions: 2 people
Pulling for Fulmer to be hired...just not as AD. Maybe a higher profile Condredge Holloway role.

That's fair. My bad.

No worries. I think it is sort wishful thinking on CPF'S part. He truly is All Vol, no matter what his detractors say. In other words,he would do it if they asked. Think his involvement in ETSU start-up sort of got the juices flowing.

I would vote a resounding YES on Fulmer if I knew he could convince TPTB on the Hill of the importance of athletics for the university's image and overall prestige. Whoever the next AD is will more than likely be handcuffed by his superiors and won't have the freedom to make big hires. He may not even want to make big hires if he's an outsider/money/fundraiser type who prefers to play it safe.

We know Fulmer would love to redeem his firing by being the guy to lead Tennessee football back to glory, albeit via a coach he hired rather than his own on the field coaching. I think Fulmer could also shake things up a bit among the cronies who are holding back Tennessee athletics due to petty politics and fragile egos.

If you read the entire article and not just the VN cliff notes, you shouldn't have to ask.

Reading comprehension is not my wheel house. I went back and didn't see it in the article again. That's why I asked?

I don't know that poster's situation. For all I know that's CBJ's son.

Release the Beast!

Horrific idea

I agree. I don't want CPF F---ing up anything else. It took long enough to finally get him fired, and paid the additional $8M buyout. Give him credit for what accomplishments he made, minimize his short-comings, and move one--far on. Let's not repeat history.

Reactions: 4 people
He'd be an upgrade over the last two ADs. But that's like being the smartest, skinniest kid on the short bus heading to fat camp.

I agree. I don't want CPF F---ing up anything else. It took long enough to finally get him fired, and paid the additional $8M buyout. Give him credit for what accomplishments he made, minimize his short-comings, and move one--far on. Let's not repeat history.

Wow never saw that coming.

Same info and what a different conclusion.

I am family friends with Coach Fulmer and he has talked about it before but I seriously doubt this will ever happen. He still loves UT without a doubt and I would be surprised if he would turn down any off for the AD position... I would root for him but like I said it won't happen and probably for his best interest as far as how he is regarded in VolNation. And by the way if there was anything happening as far as in the works I wouldn't know about it until you guys do.

What is your opinion on how Coach Fulmer is "regarded" by Vol Nation? My Outlook on Coach Fulmer is nothing short of amazing! He was my Hero for 15 years and I still disagree with the way his departure from UT went!

What is your opinion on how Coach Fulmer is "regarded" by Vol Nation? My Outlook on Coach Fulmer is nothing short of amazing! He was my Hero for 15 years and I still disagree with the way his departure from UT went!

I think that is a given the way it happened was junk. Could have waited till the season was over, might would have saved a loss, even his job. We wouldn't have hired Kiffen if we hadn't fired CPF.

Hindsight

So what would the mood here be if Fulmer ends up being our next AD?

Tennessee needs someone that knows how to structure contracts. Phil know how to do that? Any experience with that? No?

If you are going to get a former Vol with no regards to experience, get Charles Davis.

I don't know if Fulmer would be a good or bad AD....but I just want to know how in the hades anyone thinks that Fulmer would NOT be successful when Bill Battle is AD at Bama??????

Hiring Fulmer would, IMO, at least be a signal that the "pencil-necks" have decided to get out of the way of having a successful athletic program at UT....

Fulmer was ABSOLUTELY CORRECT in what he said back in 2008 about the administration standing in the way instead of supporting the athletic program.

And now--back to reality.....

Is there any other bona fide choice for AD other than Blackburn????

VN Store

Back