do we need a new line backer coach

Yes he does need to take the next step like 100+ tackles in a season with a few sacks would be great.

Barring injury last year numbers wise looks like he would have ended up with around 75-80 tackles 3 or 4 sacks with a pick or 2.. id like to see 100+ but I don't think getting there has anything to do with him taking the next step.. it falls on the dline and how much space they can occupy.. you don't have stellar MLBs without great Dlines.. with hoke coaching the Dline this year and hopefully lots of depth at both DT and DE positions there should be no reason DKjr cant hit 100 plus playing exactly like the madman he is now

Reactions: 1 person
i am happy with the coaching staff,all but the line backer coach. he can not seem to recruit top talent. does any one have any ideas.

tumblr_inline_mhef5lQcBM1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Off the subject, but does anybody remember Earnest Fields who was a linebacker back in the early 90's from Milan, TN? Dude was a tackling machine. He had like 140 tackles for Tennessee one year. We used to take really good high school running backs and make them linebackers.

We had depth issues everywhere last year and depth made it worse. With the changes in staff and barring injuries, we should be in much better shape at this position this year.

Yeah ole Thig has done much since he's been here except AJ, Maggitt, JRM, and Kirkland

Plus he coached up a subpar walk-on (Jumper) to be a gamer (Florida, etc).

Yeah ole Thig has done much since he's been here except AJ, Maggitt, JRM, and Kirkland

Plus he coached up a subpar walk-on (Jumper) to be a gamer (Florida, etc).

AJ was good before Jones. Maggitt was a product of Steve Stripling as he was a DE. That leaves JRM and Kirkland. Jumper is mediocre as an SEC player.

Thigpen has developed 2 SEC worthy linebackers in four years....

Off the subject, but does anybody remember Earnest Fields who was a linebacker back in the early 90's from Milan, TN? Dude was a tackling machine. He had like 140 tackles for Tennessee one year. We used to take really good high school running backs and make them linebackers.

Oh, I remember him!

Back during that time/era, we used to take DB's and make em LB's and WR's and make em' DB's.

You're unhappy with the development of JRM, DKJr, C. McDowell, Sapp, even Jumper and El. Berry?

Are you really gonna sit there and act as like all is well with our linebacking corps after what you witnessed last season. After JRM and DKJr went down it was a hot mess. We started and played the hell out of a walk on who just athletically isn't up to snuff to be a top rate, competitive SEC linebacker.

And yes I, and any Vol fan paying scant attention, is disappointed with the development of:

4* Dillon Bates
4* Cortez McDowell
4* Gavin Bryant (left the program)
4* Chris Weatherd (graduated w/out doing anything here)
4* Quar'te Sapp (was 3rd string last year before his injury)
3* Austin Smith (who the coaches raved about and has neither gotten on the field yet nor been able to stick at one position)

And you can throw in Elliott Berry and Jakob Johnson while you're at it. A couple of 3 star recruits, one who is decent but is not a starting SEC linebacker and the other who changed positions a couple times after the disastrous start vs Missouri in 2014.

Furthermore, after declaring that Daniel Bituli was a physical beast last fall camp, and saying about mid year that he was gonna play up to 30 snaps a game, they couldn't get him ready to play despite our injuries at linebacker and the poor play from the older guys they put in before him.

There are others, I'll stop there because they are the most obvious.

So yes, I'm disappointed that after losing an outstanding linebacker in JRM and a promising linebacker in DKJr, that we had literally no other linebacker, highly rated or not, that could step in and play at a high or even moderately high acceptable SEC level.

Last year the injuries were super significant. If we had JRM and DKJ all year we would have been 10-2...maybe 11-1. This is a silly post. We also were down Cortez (some) and Sapp (for the entire year). Come on now...pay attention.

VN Store

Back