Practice 15

Is it just me or does this team just look different. Don't know how to explain it it just looks meaner and nastier. It's finally starting to look like an SEC program again

Reactions: 5 people
Is it just me or does this team just look different. Don't know how to explain it it just looks meaner and nastier. It's finally starting to look like an SEC program again

Credit that to Rock. He put an edge on 121. The sky is the limit.

Reactions: 1 person

they look like men instead of teenagers not ready to play.

My granddad was from Lexington. Pretty good player for the Tigers in the 50's. We used to go eat catfish in some cabin by some lake.

You and I have been around a while now.

Doesn't this happen every year?

One practice... "OL was terrible. DL coming along". Next practice it flips. Then it flips again.

I have no doubt there are legit coaching points but sometimes it is as much a matter of the difficulty of what they're having the players execute. Play calling alone can account for who has a bad day and who has a good day.

That's true. I've been the most worried about Wells in terms of our new coaches. I just hope he was ready. Love his energy.

John Kelly has some really, really good hands. He snagged a one-handed catch during pass catching drills today, and heÂ’s showed off his hands before during other practices. The Vols have made a habit of using running backs in the passing game since Butch Jones arrived here, and Kelly is trying to show that he has what it takes to continue that.

This is one of the most encouraging things I've read from the practice reports. About the only knock on John Kelly from last season is that he wasn't much of a receiving threat. Ignore the T-Tech cupcake game and JK only averaged 4 receiving yards per game. If he becomes a threat to catch the ball, it helps open up the offense more.

This is one of the most encouraging things I've read from the practice reports. About the only knock on John Kelly from last season is that he wasn't much of a receiving threat. Ignore the T-Tech cupcake game and JK only averaged 4 receiving yards per game. If he becomes a threat to catch the ball, it helps open up the offense more.

Dead on!

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm not sure I understand the point of running routes at what looks like 3/4 speed. Wouldn't that do more harm than good in terms of timing?

You're over thinking it.

Timing is almost synonymous with rhythm when we talk about QB's & WR's in the passing game.

I hope I'm not too old and most on here get this analogy but... Did you learn to drive a stick shift by shifting from 4th to 5th gear? Or did you learn by shifting out of 1st gear into 2nd? When I learned every gear after 1st got progressively easier to get the feel for. Every time I switched cars I got my timing down by cycling through the lower gears.

If the QB's and WR's don't develop a rhythm at 1/2 & 3/4th's speed it's actual allot harder to sync up and execute at full speed.

EDIT:
If anyone reading can't drive a stick please turn in your Man-Card.

Reactions: 6 people
I saw the interview John Kelly had with Booger McFarland. What I was pleasantly surprised with was Kelly seemed to be very confident and intentional and it didn't seem fake. He came across as natural and aware of his abilities, making me confident.

Reactions: 2 people

You haven't even see them play a game yet. No offense, but how can you make this judgment at this point? Surely you're not doing so just by looking at the very limited practice video posted here.

I saw the interview John Kelly had with Booger McFarland. What I was pleasantly surprised with was Kelly seemed to be very confident and intentional and it didn't seem fake. He came across as natural and aware of his abilities, making me confident.

Love everything I've seen and heard from that kid. Jones and staff did a great job bringing him to Tennessee.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm not sure I understand the point of running routes at what looks like 3/4 speed. Wouldn't that do more harm than good in terms of timing?
I suppose there is some down-side to "over-thinking", but it seems to me that UT is practicing soft. I'm sure last years rash of injuries is creating a mental hump that the players need to move past. It's hard to envision getting used to 3/4 speed and suddenly going full throttle and it not impacting some aspects of the team.....mainly our DB's and recievers. I'm confident our coaches know how this plays out because I don't.

I feel our defensive front is the one group that is being over-looked as well as under-rated and reason exist. We did lose 3 good players and now have 3 players looking to get much 1st team experience who have been hampered by injury in kmac,tuttle,and phillips. Kongbo and taylor have played some and some cohesion is there as well as experience. We're recruiting well along the defensive front and depth is increasing. IMO, this unit could be the biggest surprise on team 121 and beyond.....GBO!!!!

You haven't even see them play a game yet. No offense, but how can you make this judgment at this point? Surely you're not doing so just by looking at the very limited practice video posted here.

Yes I was going by the limited video and also by the past few years of going to games and seeing the players on the Vol walk. I was literally bigger than some of our linemen. I just got a feeling from watching videos and interviews that something just seems different about this year's team. Didn't try to imply anything concrete just a feeling. Sorry if it came out wrong KB wasn't trying to make an absolute statement

I suppose there is some down-side to "over-thinking", but it seems to me that UT is practicing soft. I'm sure last years rash of injuries is creating a mental hump that the players need to move past. It's hard to envision getting used to 3/4 speed and suddenly going full throttle and it not impacting some aspects of the team.....mainly our DB's and recievers. I'm confident our coaches know how this plays out because I don't.

I understand where you are coming from, but I believe this is a byproduct of what media is allowed to see. MockingVol would have more insight, but from what I can tell, the media is only allowed to see the "warm up" periods. That's why it seems like everything is 3/4 speed. Have you never noticed that there aren't any videos of team period? They have portions of practice everyday where they go full speed, but the parts they are allowed to video are drills meant to progressively ramp up to full speed to prevent injury.

I noticed Mike Griffith posted one of the videos, I thought he was covering Michigan St. now? I hope they are not letting him back on campus, he is like John Adams light imo.

Shy and kmac healthy is the best 1,2 d lineman combo around bar none.

It SHOULD be, still scratching my head over last season when we had those two along with DB at end and we did not dominate.

It is unlikely Tuttle and KM start at the same time with #39 available. He's pretty consistently underestimated.

VN Store

Back