Both QB.s to play Saturday

The truth is JG needs snaps. Losing JJ hurts the receiving core big time and Dormady simply doesn't have the ability to pull and run as well as JG. I still believe Jarrett will be the starter before the season is done.

Reactions: 1 person
"Jones defended Guarantano, however, saying that he doesn’t put backup quarterbacks on the headsets, anyway, and that Guarantano is a team player who respects all of his teammates"

Wonder why Butch doesn't put his backup on the headset?

None to spare after Trash Can 121 gets his. Priorities.

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldn't consider it benching him - not like you're pulling him mid game after an interception. You're playing a crap opponent that probably won't get within 14 points of us so it's more like saving Dormady from potential injury in a meaningless game while letting the malcontent feel special and get valuable game experience as the starter.
Mr. Just being Honest (Fade Route) has just labeled a Volunteer as a malcontent. And where does he get this information? Well, from TV talking heads. The player himself tweeted out his happiness on the recent win, but talking heads know more about what is going on in a young mans mind than the young man could possibly know. Therefore, crap heads on this thread can label him as a malcontent based upon a talking head's psychiatric evaluation of a young man he has never met or talked to. Guarantano will be just fine in spite of the fool, Mr. Just Being Honest, whom I'm quoting here.

Last edited:
The truth is JG needs snaps. Losing JJ hurts the receiving core big time and Dormady simply doesn't have the ability to pull and run as well as JG. I still believe Jarrett will be the starter before the season is done.

I keep hearing that JG is the better runner, but what do you base this on other than the color of their skin?

Invitation for a QB controversy. Very stupid. If he believes JG is the starter then start him. Carrying the position battle into gameday is going to divide the locker room... and especially if it is perceived that he did it because JG pouted.

Of course... there was about a 100% likelihood that someone other than Dormady was going to get reps vs Indiana St anyway. Not much of a commitment there.

Edit** After actually listening to the interview... it was pretty much what KBVol said. They know they're going to get JG game reps this Saturday which will help him be ready if he's needed.

Last edited:

If UT's season depends on JG being Dobbs... write the season off.

Mr. Just being Honest (Fade Route) has just labeled a Volunteer as a malcontent. And where does he get this information? Well, from TV talking heads. The player himself tweeted out his happiness on the recent win, but talking heads know more about what is going on in a young mans mind than the young man could possibly know. Therefore, crap heads on this thread can label him as a malcontent based upon a talking head's psychiatric evaluation of a young man he has never met or talked to. Guarantano will be just fine in spite of the fool, Mr. Just Being Honest, whom I'm quoting here.

Lol

So you would bench Dormady? That is exactly what it would be - bench the QB that helped win a double OT come from behind game against a good team.

What message does that send?

Exactly what Scott said. Both need to be ready at any turn. They know JG needs reps as anyone can get injured.

I actually think that Will McBride could be the best runner of the three QBs. I don't know if anyone has watched his highschool film, but he can definitely get around the field if he needs too.

Awesome, that's a twofer.

1. I get to see JG play.
2. The pot stirring posters can enjoy a nice warm cup of stfu. start screaming about how McBride will lead us to the Promised Land
It's a win/win.

Fixed.

Awesome, that's a twofer.

1. I get to see JG play.
2. The pot stirring posters can enjoy a nice warm cup of stfu.
It's a win/win.

Not happening. Regardless of how JG plays, they'll use it as an excuse for him to start or else play more to "prove himself".

Jones knows the opponent. But if he keeps this up... and doesn't stand behind his starter (whoever it is)... he's setting the team up for failure.

Invitation for a QB controversy. Very stupid. If he believes JG is the starter then start him. Carrying the position battle into gameday is going to divide the locker room... and especially if it is perceived that he did it because JG pouted.

Of course... there was about a 100% likelihood that someone other than Dormady was going to get reps vs Indiana St anyway. Not much of a commitment there.

The pros of having a backup with snaps outweighs any assumed drama. If we can't put up a sizeable enough lead to bench the starters against the Sycamores the season is lost anyway.

Ps. Smh I fell off the (posting) wagon over a fake qb "controversy"

Reactions: Weezer
That's what they said about Appalachian State last year.

Appalachian State would would run Indiana State out of the stadium and Tennessee will do the same Saturday.
The talent gap between Appalachian State and Indiana State is huge. There are high school teams that could take Indiana State. This is a 28+ point win even on an off day.

The pros of having a backup with snaps outweighs any assumed drama. If we can't put up a sizeable enough lead to bench the starters against the Sycamores the season is lost anyway.

Ps. Smh I fell off the (posting) wagon over a fake qb "controversy"

True. I edited after actually listening to Jones' interview. ISU isn't even a good FCS school. This sets up to be the biggest mismatch UT has scheduled in several years. Game should be out of reach early.

Not happening. Regardless of how JG plays, they'll use it as an excuse for him to start or else play more to "prove himself".

Jones knows the opponent. But if he keeps this up... and doesn't stand behind his starter (whoever it is)... he's setting the team up for failure.

Agreed..CBJ should name Dormady as starter and not have him looking over his shoulder. That's not to say that he cannot lose his job but for now QD should know that this is his offense.

CBJ said before GT that both QBs would get a chance. So give them both a chance. If JG doesn't do well, then maybe he'll work harder and be more supportive in a backup role. And if he does great and adds another dimension to the offense, then maybe the coaches will find ways to use that. JG wants a shot, he expects a shot-- give him one and let the issue resolve itself instead of festering.

Agreed..CBJ should name Dormady as starter and not have him looking over his shoulder. That's not to say that he cannot lose his job but for now QD should know that this is his offense.

Listen to Coach Scott's interview. Butch sounds like he's trying to be political with JG. Scott said that they made the decision to roll with Dormady and gave no indications of anything but that QD is the starter.

CBJ said before GT that both QBs would get a chance. So give them both a chance.
Both had a chance. An 8 month chance. If JG won then he should start. If QD won then he should start. The other guy should be the back up.

Can you give the exact quote... preferably video... where Jones specifically said both would get a "chance" to win the job in game play?

If JG doesn't do well, then maybe he'll work harder and be more supportive in a backup role. And if he does great and adds another dimension to the offense, then maybe the coaches will find ways to use that. JG wants a shot, he expects a shot-- give him one and let the issue resolve itself instead of festering.
Dormady wanted a shot, and deserved a shot for two years backing up Dobbs. His shot came in practice. Dobbs was the starter.

The ONLY thing that will keep this issue "festering" is to be ambiguous about who the #1 QB is.

I actually would consider starting Garauntano, as good as Dormady was. Just see how he responds as the starter. Gives Jones more data to consider going into UF

So you want two have to angry QBs instead of just one? Not sure how that would help at all. Let's say JG starts and has a reasonably good game, albeit against inferior competition. Then who would start against FL. Not a good situation.
I would expect him to get in later in the game when the Vols have a good lead, and he should be given a real chance to lead the team to a score or two.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider it benching him - not like you're pulling him mid game after an interception. You're playing a crap opponent that probably won't get within 14 points of us so it's more like saving Dormady from potential injury in a meaningless game while letting the malcontent feel special and get valuable game experience as the starter.

UT doesn't have the luxury of sitting somebody for rest of fear of injury at that position. QD has 1 legitimate game worth of reps to date, JG has none. If you think he's your starter he needs reps.

Throwing JG out there because of his reaction to not playing (however you viewed it) is silly. If he gets on the field Sat it shouldn't have anything to do with that or fear of him leaving.

Reactions: 3 people

Dormady needs the work. You don't improve by sitting.

Reactions: 3 people
Don't think we needed an article or coach's proclamation to know that both are gonna play Saturday. Last week such a pronouncement would've been news, this week it's a forgone conclusion. I expect to see McBride as well.

Doubt you will see McBride, they will probably try to redshirt him if possible.

VN Store

Back