Both QB.s to play Saturday

If there is any issue (because it is all just speculation at this point, although JG's body language left a lot to be desired), hopefully it is cleared up by Florida. Can't afford to have anyone trying to put themselves ahead of the team or be unclear on assignments and execution once SEC play starts.

Do whatever is necessary to placate JG come Saturday (again, if he truly is upset or whatever), but as others have said, leave no question about who is #1 with the Gators coming up.

Both had a chance. An 8 month chance. If JG won then he should start. If QD won then he should start. The other guy should be the back up.

Can you give the exact quote... preferably video... where Jones specifically said both would get a "chance" to win the job in game play?

Dormady wanted a shot, and deserved a shot for two years backing up Dobbs. His shot came in practice. Dobbs was the starter.

The ONLY thing that will keep this issue "festering" is to be ambiguous about who the #1 QB is.

What's the big deal about giving JG a chance to play in a meaningless game that's basically a scrimmage? Backups always get PT in these games, so it's a no-brainer of a way to calm down a situation that could easily get out of hand. Both QBs play and what happens happens.

QD played in games last year. He wasn't better than Dobbs, so he was the backup. If JG isn't better than QD, he'll be the backup, too. It'll all sort itself out this Sat, so no sense making it a bigger issue than it is.

Reactions: 1 person
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOdgErvB8[/youtube]

The kid is extremely fast and I don't appreciate the skin color comment. Watch the tape and you'll see for yourself. He was rated the number 1 "Dual Threat" coming out of HS for a reason.

Last edited:
What's the big deal about giving JG a chance to play in a meaningless game that's basically a scrimmage?
Nothing. Sorry if I misinterpreted you. There are some here who are determined that the position is still open. Thought that was your tact.
If JG isn't better than QD, he'll be the backup, too. It'll all sort itself out this Sat, so no sense making it a bigger issue than it is.

It shouldn't be sorted out this Saturday if Dormady won an 8 month competition to be the starter. It should have already been sorted out.

I've been arguing with guys like gunner and k-town king for a couple of days now who insist that JG should be the starter and Jones screwed him.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOdgErvB8[/youtube]

The kid is extremely fast and I don't appreciate the skin color comment. Watch the tape and you'll see for yourself. He was rated the number 1 "Dual Threat" coming out of HS for a reason.

You do realize the difference between NJ HSFB and the SEC, right? He has good speed but he isn't big. He'll need to bulk up like Dobbs did before taking a lot of punishment.

Last edited:
Not sure who is right HUDL or 247... but 247 shows his career rushing yardage at 523.

You do realize the difference between NJ HSFB and the SEC, right? He has good speed but he isn't big. He'll need to bulk up like Dobbs did before taking a lot of punishment.
I understand that and I never said he needs to run it as much as Dobbs did all I mean is he has a better ability of extending plays with his legs than Dormady. Dormady is a good QB, I just think Jarrett is tailor made for our offense and will ultimately win the job before the season is done. I very well could be wrong. We'll see

I'd bet hard money Dormady is the first QB to lineup against Indiana State. JG will get to play, he may even be allowed to throw the ball but it'll still be mop up duty.

Reactions: 3 people
I understand that and I never said he needs to run it as much as Dobbs did all I mean is he has a better ability of extending plays with his legs than Dormady. Dormady is a good QB, I just think Jarrett is tailor made for our offense and will ultimately win the job before the season is done. I very well could be wrong. We'll see

According to Jones... his system doesn't require a running QB. He's said that since he arrived. IIRC, he had success with a QB somewhat like QD at Cincy.

He's also said that he "tailors" his O to the strengths of his players... especially the QB.

Dormady throws the ball well. He didn't have a great game vs GT but still threw it well. He makes good decisions, manages the game well, and most of all... he apparently leads well. If you get a chance, listen to the first minute of John Kelly's most recent interview. He appears to LOVE Dormady. Then listen to Scott's interview concerning Dormady. I don't know if there's a little split between him and Jones over the QB's... but his praise of Dormady was pretty strong.

Anything can happen. But based on history one of two things will have to happen for JG to overtake QD. One, Dormady just plays so poorly they have to make a switch. Two, he gets injured. I don't suspect the first.

There is a third possibility... Jones could invite a QB controversy and split the team by trying to run a competition for the starting job into the season. That would be stupid.

I actually would consider starting Garauntano, as good as Dormady was. Just see how he responds as the starter. Gives Jones more data to consider going into UF

I agree completely.
You don't know how the car performs until you give it a test drive. Dormady did fine for a first start, but still need to see what JG's got. Could also strategically help us with Florida making them prepair for two different styles.

Reactions: 2 people
So you would bench Dormady? That is exactly what it would be - bench the QB that helped win a double OT come from behind game against a good team.

What message does that send?

It means we want to rest him, avoid unnecessary hits, and potentially confuse Florida.

I keep hearing that JG is the better runner, but what do you base this on other than the color of their skin?
game tape? I think you are likely the first person in the history of ever that's questioned that fact. Even though he hasn't played in games at this level there is plenty of tape proving the JG is a A Dual threat qb. QD has tape showing he is not statue but he is definitely not the runner JG is.

Quote:
“JG (Guarantano) is going to have to always be ready play, and he’s going to have to always prepare and approach the game like he’s the starter and be ready to go in at the drop of a dime. We all know football turns really quickly.” --Scott

Tells me, he's our best #1 starting backup, thru week 1.

Sitting on the sidelines chewing his fingernails like he was the coolest person in stadium is not being game ready. Would you want to bet he did not know what down they were on, field position, etc.

I agree completely.
You don't know how the car performs until you give it a test drive. Dormady did fine for a first start, but still need to see what JG's got. Could also strategically help us with Florida making them prepair for two different styles.

Unless the car does not "start". Pun intended.

"Jones defended Guarantano, however, saying that he doesn’t put backup quarterbacks on the headsets, anyway, and that Guarantano is a team player who respects all of his teammates"

Wonder why Butch doesn't put his backup on the headset?

Wouldn't let his teams benefit from off season 7 on 7 work either until this past summer. Neither seem to make sense, sure he has his reasons.

Our offense for 4 years has been praying busted plays gain yards. That's not a system.

UT doesn't have the luxury of sitting somebody for rest of fear of injury at that position. QD has 1 legitimate game worth of reps to date, JG has none. If you think he's your starter he needs reps.

Throwing JG out there because of his reaction to not playing (however you viewed it) is silly. If he gets on the field Sat it shouldn't have anything to do with that or fear of him leaving.

Totally agree. If the starter is not injured you start your starter regardless of the opponent. And if the opportunity presents itself you give the backup some series in a non critical situation.

Concentration should be on winning games not appeasing a player.

If not starting this year results with JG transferring so be it - that implies he feels he is bigger than the team - and no player is bigger than the team - except maybe Peyton and neither of these players are on the same level as Peyton.

game tape? I think you are likely the first person in the history of ever that's questioned that fact. Even though he hasn't played in games at this level there is plenty of tape proving the JG is a A Dual threat qb. QD has tape showing he is not statue but he is definitely not the runner JG is.

Just because they did something in high school doesn't imply they will be effective at it in the SEC.

And it is not about whether a QB can run or not, it is about running the offense and knowing when to run and when to stay in the pocket and pass or hand off the ball.

Tennessee does NOT need a running QB to win games. Yes we had that with Dobbs, but we needed that due to the offensive line. If the OL can protect the QB and the QB is an effective passer you let the QB pass rather than take the chance of the QB getting hurt on a running play.

We had better see a ton of younger players getting a ton of reps....game reps not this mop up BS. If this staff doesn't get DL and LB depth developed, this season is going to take a turn just like last year. Kids will wear down and injuries will pile up....again. At some point, this staff needs to accept responsibility for DEVELOPING DEPTH instead of having it happen by osmosis over years of being in the program. Hell, we will never have the depth bama does but we can get some degree of it by actually playing some of our younger players if physically ready. Everyone would love to have a second team filled with 4 year juniors but that's not happening. This game is a tremendous opportunity to fill out the travel roster. Find out who we can get reps from at positions of need instead of having the first reps come when yet another starter goes down. No excuses for not getting kids into this one early and often....especially at DL and LB. CB too IMO.

Butch better get this situation under control. JG looks like he has checked out already.

VN Store

Back