Media

Anddddd....I mean, literally everyone who isnt a blind Butch Jones fan can see this guy has gone off the rails...

This is what happens when you treat people like crap, this is what's going to happen moving forward with local media. This guy is done

This is what happens when you treat people like crap, this is what's going to happen moving forward with local media. This guy is done

His voice was trembling yesterday trying to answer the Tuttle question. The guy is about 1 more bad play from running out on the field and pulling a Woody Hayes and just hitting a player.

The cracks are showing. Big time.

He has never treated them like crap.

Folks want CBJ to be like other coaches and say what is on his mind - then we he does folks complain about that.

Face it some of you are just complainers and whiners.

Reactions: 3 people
So which media person are you?

Starting to get really easy to identify media personal and/or those in love with the media on this site.

How about showing some love for the players?

Huh?....

Dude, I live in Pickens, SC...I haven't lived in Tennessee in years. LOL.

I'm most definitely not a media person either. LOL.

I've been saying Butch Jones should have been fired in 2015.

After the games against Oklahoma and Florida everyone should have known it was only a matter of time.

The sad thing is, we have so much talent that is being wasted. Jim Harbaugh would have had this team in the college football playoff the last 2 years. And he probably would have won both titles.

Jim Harbaugh has finished NO higher than THIRD in his division in the BIG 10. He NEVER won a conference championship at Stanford. His replacement won the title 3 times in a row after he left.

You have to go back to 2006 at San Diego to find him winning a championship. And this was a FCS team.
Amazing some of you just grab names without doing any research at all.

Not saying Harbaugh can't coach but to believe he can do at Tennessee what he has NEVER done anywhere is a joke.

And speaking of coaches I see most are now off the Dan Mullen wagon .... amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

That's not exactly true. He's been more than patient and friendly with most of the media while he's been here. He just doesn't give them a lot of substance to report on

Folks want CBJ to be like other coaches and say what is on his mind - then we he does folks complain about that.

Really so making condescending comments like "let me educate you on football" or selecting which media members can ask questions based on what they write about him?

Reactions: 2 people
Never pick fights with someone who buys ink by the barrel, or in modern times, has a Twitter account and a quota to meet.

I'm in no way sticking up for Butch but rather saying the media in general always has an agenda and wants to spin things. If it were me, I would play hardball with them and ice them out. This is a Butch bashing thread. There's plenty of those. I was wanting to point out that the media can be quite unfair a lot of times and if they want to be unfair I would do the same to them.

I keep seeing this media unfair comment. If the media brings up something that is a rumor/farse/lie. Just say "I'm aware that rumor is going around, It didn't happen that way" If you're telling the truth, then there's no reason to be angry. "RDL2k7 were you out drinking and driving last night?" "How dare you!!!! Such unfair questions! Why are you down on me?" Or I could just say "Nope, chill evening at the house." And it'd be easy because it was the truth.

The problem as I see it is Butch is a football snob and thinks nobody else knows what he knows. His constant lying and trying to redirect questions is boring and shows insecurity in himself. Why would he not just simply answer the question ?

Pertaining to Butch's little rant on the media, I have a question posed to you all: If you were head coach would you try to shut down the media almost completely around the program to protect the program/players from negativity or would you just let them report whatever they feel like reporting? Me personally, I hate almost all media in today's era because so much drama gets stirred up over non issues that it's becoming mind numbing and everyone seems so sensitive about every little thing. I wouldn't mind Butch telling all of them to shove it and my go to answer would become "No Comment." Was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were as well.

The reason the media may be perceived as negative or bad is because of the relationship that Butch has developed with them. He’s literally said things that only make media dig more to figure out what’s true.

It’s all about setting the standard early and often with press in any job. Butch was so giddy about taking this job that the press was nice to him, but that started to change thru his catchphrase, coaching blunders, and locker room issues.

Dude is not smart when it comes to dealing with the media. With Shy’s injury, there is no reason to argue and say he fell on a helmet. All Butch had to say is that “Shy got injured and it wasn’t because of an internal issue. The injury and status of Shy is being handled internally and if Shy is ready to play on Saturday, you all will see him on the field.”

Butch is just not smart when it comes to media and pressure.

Harbaugh is a better coach than Saban. He actually had success in the NFL and college. Plus he took Brady Hoke's recruits and had them one bad call on a 4th down against Ohio State from making the playoffs last year. He also found a way to win at Stanford which is more impressive than anything Saban did at Michigan State.

I don't think its even a question. Jim Harbaugh is EASILY the best coach in college football. Give him all those #1 recruiting classes Saban has and he would wipe the floor with Nick Saban.

Harbaugh is better NFL coach but what has he sniffed on College? Had one good year with Andrew Luck.

Nothing else has been great.

And that’s sad. Things on his mind include thinking his kids are Champions of Life and have Five Star Hearts. That’s why people hate they guy. Not because he speaks his mind but he is a horrible communicator.

Jim Harbaugh has finished NO higher than THIRD in his division in the BIG 10. He NEVER won a conference championship at Stanford. His replacement won the title 3 times in a row after he left.

You have to go back to 2006 at San Diego to find him winning a championship. And this was a FCS team.
Amazing some of you just grab names without doing any research at all.

Not saying Harbaugh can't coach but to believe he can do at Tennessee what he has NEVER done anywhere is a joke.

And speaking of coaches I see most are now off the Dan Mullen wagon .... amazing.

I’m not. I still have Chip as my 1 and Mullen as my 2. One game won’t change that.

Some Univ administration and athletic departments take away media credentials to games.
But, media members still cover the games.
They just have to buy tickets.
Very few try to limit or stop all access to press conferences or even practices.
Too much freedom of press and freedom of information issues to deal with.
Plus, it's really bad public relations to do so.
Butch can always say no comment or divert questions that he doesn't want to answer.

I watched Miami play Toledo this weekend. Just bc I was curious of how Richt is doing down there. And I got jealous.

I am so jealous because that RB Walton they have runs a lot like John Kelly. Just a head buster, doesn't stop fighting until he hits dirt....and they hand that guy the ball as much as he wants it.

Their offense looks like a machine. Just executing and leaning on Walton as the motor.

Yeah, it's only Toledo. But hell, they are probably 40X better than UMass.....

Sucks. Bc we have so much potential just sitting there. Kelly. Johnson. Callaway. Smith. Chandler. Byrd. Wolf. Bumpus. Palmer.

I get mad thinking about it.

Richt took over Al Goldens team and went 9-4 year 1. Miami wasn't exactly some pristine program either. Just ended Bowl sanctions. An idiot of a head coach had been underachieving for years. Not nearly the money we have. Don't even have their own stadium. Richt walks in and boom! 9-4. They could very very very realistically win their division this year. Not even a pipe dream or a stretch. After FSU, they don't play another difficult team until VT on November 4th.

Yes and we all watched Miss St play LSU a week ago. Means nothing.

I would provide answers for easy questions. Answer yes or no where possible. Throw in a few no comments, I don't knows and you tell me's.

I'm in no way sticking up for Butch but rather saying the media in general always has an agenda and wants to spin things. If it were me, I would play hardball with them and ice them out. This is a Butch bashing thread. There's plenty of those. I was wanting to point out that the media can be quite unfair a lot of times and if they want to be unfair I would do the same to them.

The local media is soft on Butch, he should be thanking them and paying for lunch at press conferences.

Reactions: 2 people
I honestly think Butch is his own worst enemy. He would have been a lot better off answering the Tuttle question with: "I'm not going to share the details, but there was a scuffle (boys will be boys) and unfortunately, Tuttle was injured in the melee. Or, just respond with, sorry fellas, I'm choosing to not share any information or confirm or deny any rumors. We hope to have Shy back ASAP.

When he reacts to the question that way, it's obvious he is hiding something and he comes off super defensive. All that does is stir up the media.

Lawd....really? I do tons of things everyday that I don't want to do. But, I do them BECAUSE I HAVE TO. Talking to the media is PART OF HIS JOB. I love that anyone that has a critique about Butch is a 'whiner.'

So basically Butch try's to side step questions but he's a bad liar. He means no harm in telling the innocent parts of the story but looks guilty in telling it. Reporters know there is more and get upset when he won't spill the beans. At the same time Butch is trying to keep his opponent guessing as to who will play.

VN Store

Back