Here is my problem with Gruden

To be fair, there's more at play in the NFL. You can have crap ownership or a crap GM and you can't win no matter who you are (see Belichek at Cleveland)

I think his appeal is the recruits he could pull and his offensive mind.

I'd love to have Gruden, but he's nothing more than a fantasy.

Same^^^^

The silliness is crazy on the Gruden thread. They will not even believe it when the next coach thaqt is not Gruden Steps to the podium. Just nuts

op left out the biggest problem with Gruden,

HE GOT FIRED,,,, from BOTH HC jobs Because his teams were not so good.

Maybe he can be a Quarterback coach???

Only coaching Job he has been good at.

He didn't get fired at Oakland. He was traded for two first rounders and two second rounders.

Name the last player to demand that sort of trade value. Marshall Faulk was traded to the Rams in the prime of his career for a 2nd and 4th.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not a Gruden fan and never will be but we need to be realistic here about what it will take to get him and the all star coaching staff he'll demand.

1...For Gruden...LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$ and probably a guaranteed 5 or 6 year contract with a massive buyout that UT has no way to get out of.

That alone could put UT into a financial nightmare for a decade or longer if Gruden fails.

2..O and D coordinators....LOTS more $$$$$$$$$$ for each of those guys because Gruden will demand all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ he needs to hire whoever he wants and pay any buyouts to get his chosen Coordinators.

More financial nightmare.

3...Coaching assistants....LOTS more $$$$$$$$$ because the O and D Coordinators will want the financial power to go get the position coaches that they and Gruden demand they can buy no matter the cost.

If our AD and BIG $$$$ boosters are this desperate and willing to spend this type of huge $$$$ to pray and hope we get the type of return on investment they want and expect then there's a tiny chance we'll lure Gruden away from a very easy job that he now has.

FACT is that Gruden and every coach considering coming to the hill will consider that they start behind the 8 ball every year starting 0-1 simply because we have to play Bama every year and that alone will turn off many coaches we might want.

Playing Bama also gives all other SEC East coaches a 1 game instant advantage over UT and makes it easier for them to Win the SEC East.

Gruden has zero track record as a college HC so that hurts him a little in recruiting so he MUST start getting WINS almost instantly to keep his recruiting and personal persona alive.

Gruden might have his Superbowl ring to show recruits and his TV persona and football knowledge for a year or 2 as a recruiting advantage to steal away some top recruits but after a couple of years his win/loss record and what Bowls he takes UT to will define him more than anything.

Our greatest hope is that he can bring in enough of the top recruits and coach them up fast enough to get enough Wins to get us into the top 5 or 6 teams and keep us there every year before his TV persona wears off.

If he can't do that we could be in hell as a footVol team for many years to come.

No matter who we get to take the huge chance of starting every year 0-1 because of Bama we better hope he and his staff can recruit and coach well enough to WIN against Bama and nick saTan consistently and start doing that in year 1 or 2.

Every coach is a big risk and nothing is guaranteed.

I hope we get a big winner that can keep us in the top 10 every year and WIN the SEC every 3 or 4 years and WIN a National Championship at least 1 or 2 times, or more, every decade.

Let us pray.

VFL...GBO!!!

I would take Mullen, Franklin, Patterson, Jimbo, or Fuente all over Gruden

Some false choices in there. And the two that are any more likely to happen than Gruden - Mullen and Fuente - there's no definitive argurment to suggest they are better or worse than Gruden.

I understand that there are no guarantees and any coach that comes here could end up failing. But considering past accomplishments and personality he would be be the best hire if possible. There is a reason that Gruden has gotten lots of job offers from NFL teams.

Why not Bill Belichick? I think he was born in Nashville. Might have some land.

Some false choices in there. And the two that are any more likely to happen than Gruden - Mullen and Fuente - there's no definitive argurment to suggest they are better or worse than Gruden.

Except that we have evidence of their success at the college level

Gruden is seasoned now and will be such a HUGE draw for recruits that the talent level he'd have at UT would pale in comparison to what he had when he was in the NFL.

hope this helps you get over your problems with CJG.

He’s just not that good of a coach.

- His career winning percentage is .540
- Only made the playoffs 5 out of 11 years
- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

This is the guy you’re hanging your hopes on? Really?
To me Gruden is just a silly dream...you think Gruden would put the recruiting work in...away from luxury...nah
NFL but not College....
The key here is about TIMING....if Curry did tell the recruit by early signing day then Curry could and probably did already have a head coach in mind..
No doubt many calls from interested schools have already been placed to Scott...Norvell...Mullen....Kelly and maybe even Les .

Except that we have evidence of their success at the college level

Gruden's winning percentage is .540. Every single coach that has coached in both the NFL and college, at least recently, had a higher winning percentage in college.

Mullen's win percentage in college is .602 and Fuente's is .589. But you think that's "proven success" and Gruden in college will be worse than that...sigh

- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

Facts

Gruden's winning percentage is .540. Every single coach that has coached in both the NFL and college, at least recently, had a higher winning percentage in college.

Mullen's win percentage in college is .602 and Fuente's is .589. But you think that's "proven success" and Gruden in college will be worse than that...sigh

Gruden was 45-51 in his last 6 seasons as an NFL coach, and among SB winning coaches only Dick Vermeil and Weeb Ewbank have lower overall winning percentages.

He’s not awful, but not nearly worth the hype and emotional bond so many like yourself have formed over the prospects of him coaching on the Hill.

Gruden was 45-51 in his last 6 seasons as an NFL coach, and among SB winning coaches only Dick Vermeil and Weeb Ewbank have lower overall winning percentages.

He’s not awful, but not nearly worth the hype and emotional bond so many like yourself have formed over the prospects of him coaching on the Hill.

There is no "emotional bond." You don't have the first clue about NFL coaching and you are shifting the focus to distract others from that fact.

When you start talking about "really only won because...," and "last 6 years," that's where the bias is. Not with me.

How little understanding do you people have to think that .540 in the NFL with a super bowl is bad?

Bill Bellichick is the best football coach ever. I do not like the man, but he's the king. His winning percentage is in the mid 60s.

As has been pointed out, the NFL is made for parity and it ate guys like Saban and Spurrier alive. It's a MUCH harder job than coaching college and that's why you don't see 80 percent winning percentages in NFL like you do in college.

Reactions: 1 person
How little understanding do you people have to think that .540 in the NFL with a super bowl is bad?

Bill Bellichick is the best football coach ever. I do not like the man, but he's the king. His winning percentage is in the mid 60s.

As has been pointed out, the NFL is made for parity and it ate guys like Saban and Spurrier alive. It's a MUCH harder job than coaching college and that's why you don't see 80 percent winning percentages in NFL like you do in college.

Should be required reading for posters discussing coaches.

We need more threads like this one with the facts like you provided. Gruden's record just really isn't that good @ .540 wining % & I realize that's the NFL but we don't even have stats for college on him!

GO VOLS!!!

I'm not a Gruden fan and never will be but we need to be realistic here about what it will take to get him and the all star coaching staff he'll demand.

1...For Gruden...LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$ and probably a guaranteed 5 or 6 year contract with a massive buyout that UT has no way to get out of.

That alone could put UT into a financial nightmare for a decade or longer if Gruden fails.

2..O and D coordinators....LOTS more $$$$$$$$$$ for each of those guys because Gruden will demand all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ he needs to hire whoever he wants and pay any buyouts to get his chosen Coordinators.

More financial nightmare.

3...Coaching assistants....LOTS more $$$$$$$$$ because the O and D Coordinators will want the financial power to go get the position coaches that they and Gruden demand they can buy no matter the cost.

If our AD and BIG $$$$ boosters are this desperate and willing to spend this type of huge $$$$ to pray and hope we get the type of return on investment they want and expect then there's a tiny chance we'll lure Gruden away from a very easy job that he now has.

FACT is that Gruden and every coach considering coming to the hill will consider that they start behind the 8 ball every year starting 0-1 simply because we have to play Bama every year and that alone will turn off many coaches we might want.

Playing Bama also gives all other SEC East coaches a 1 game instant advantage over UT and makes it easier for them to Win the SEC East.

Gruden has zero track record as a college HC so that hurts him a little in recruiting so he MUST start getting WINS almost instantly to keep his recruiting and personal persona alive.

Gruden might have his Superbowl ring to show recruits and his TV persona and football knowledge for a year or 2 as a recruiting advantage to steal away some top recruits but after a couple of years his win/loss record and what Bowls he takes UT to will define him more than anything.

Our greatest hope is that he can bring in enough of the top recruits and coach them up fast enough to get enough Wins to get us into the top 5 or 6 teams and keep us there every year before his TV persona wears off.

If he can't do that we could be in hell as a footVol team for many years to come.

No matter who we get to take the huge chance of starting every year 0-1 because of Bama we better hope he and his staff can recruit and coach well enough to WIN against Bama and nick saTan consistently and start doing that in year 1 or 2.

Every coach is a big risk and nothing is guaranteed.

I hope we get a big winner that can keep us in the top 10 every year and WIN the SEC every 3 or 4 years and WIN a National Championship at least 1 or 2 times, or more, every decade.

Let us pray.

VFL...GBO!!!

Nobody who has an ounce of competitiveness in their body believes the bolded. Anyone that considers that I would not hire.

His team had aged and was in salary cap jail. I do concede his drafts were not very good in Tampa.

Nobody who has an ounce of competitiveness in their body believes the bolded. Anyone that considers that I would not hire.

That's one reason hiring Kiffin makes a lot of sense. Not saying I want that and highly doubt Currie would rehire him given the past but we need a confident competitor who wants the challenge and is borderline cocky in my opinion.

GO VOLS!!!

Should be required reading for posters discussing coaches.

Jimmy Johnson .556
Chuck Noll .560
Marv Levy .560
Tom Coughlin .530
Tom Flores .527
Bill Parcells .569

All with multiple super bowl appearances.

Originally Posted by fade route

And yet Tampa Bay ownership wants him back...

Reactions: 3 people

Good logical post.....following your logic.....I have a few conclusions:

1. Why would anyone want to hire Spurrier with his documented failure in the NFL?
2. Why would anyone want to hire Saban after he bombed in the NFL?
3. Why did USC want to hire Pete Carroll--his head coaching experience in the NFL was atrocious before USC job and current Seattle job?
4. Why did the Patriots want to hire Belichik--same prior experience as Carroll?

NFL coaching records are NOT linear regressions--meaning that they are NO indicators of future job performance....

And 50-30 in his first 5 seasons. Why are you dismissing/discounting those? He only had 3 losing seasons in 11 years. I mean, I get that highlighting his last 6 seasons drives home your point, but that's a case of making the stats say what you want them to.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back