Recruiting Forum Football Talk LIII

Same. It's a good sign at how lost that offense looked without him though last night

USC offense looked lost and unfocused for much of the season. Tyson Helton is very unproven. Those expecting him to work miracles in Knoxville need to pump the brakes.

USC offense looked lost and unfocused for much of the season. Tyson Helton is very unproven. Those expecting him to work miracles in Knoxville need to pump the brakes.

The hire was quick. So quick it seemed targeted and pre planned. Reminds me of how Saban just finds oc's year after year and they all perform well. We'll see

The hire was quick. So quick it seemed targeted and pre planned. Reminds me of how Saban just finds oc's year after year and they all perform well. We'll see

He has never really been the play caller at a high level. He has good experience and I hope he does great, but I do not understand those who think he was the master mind of some juggernaut USC offense and trash Tee.

He has never really been the play caller at a high level. He has good experience and I hope he does great, but I do not understand those who think he was the master mind of some juggernaut USC offense and trash Tee.

Dont think anyone is trashing Tee, but simply pointing out the reluctance to give him full reigns of the offense at SC. Pointing to his title as OC as his readiness to become our hc makes it completely fair game. Surely if Pruitt was a part time play caller we'd have the same debate.

Dont think anyone is trashing Tee, but simply pointing out the reluctance to give him full reigns of the offense at SC. Pointing to his title as OC as his readiness to become our hc makes it completely fair game. Surely if Pruitt was a part time play caller we'd have the same debate.

Yet some are praising Helton who has never had the full reigns of the offense.

I reckon Helton was in Knoxville last night. Can't agree with you on the unproven part either. He's been special teams coordinator for 6 years at differenct stops. He's had two very successful years as QB/OC under Brohm at WKU, and QB/Co-OC for two years at USC while helping to win a PAC 12 conference title. Beard as WR coach is unproven, and Larry Scott as OC is unproven. Whether Ty Helton is a successful OC at UT remains to be seen, but I would not call him unproven.

Yet some are praising Helton who has never had the full reigns of the offense.

Not at USC but wasn’t he the primary play caller at WKU? I know it was Brohms offense so I don’t think it was full reigns in play calling but he still was the primary play caller I believe. Could be wrong on the year but the year they had the prolific offense that went 11-2 was his playcalling I think.

Edit: can’t find the article that I thought said he called plays at WKU so disregard it.

Last edited:
As OC not HC. See the difference?

I am saying Helton is a questionable choice as OC. I think it is unrealistic to believe that USC performed poorly last night because Helton was not there and blame Tee for their poor performance.

We had no business even considering Tee as HC.

Reactions: 1 person
Not at USC but wasn’t he the primary play caller at WKU? I know it was Brohms offense so I don’t think it was full reigns in play calling but he still was the primary play caller I believe. Could be wrong on the year but the year they had the prolific offense that went 11-2 was his playcalling I think.

Brohm called plays

I reckon Helton was in Knoxville last night. Can't agree with you on the unproven part either. He's been special teams coordinator for 6 years at differenct stops. He's had two very successful years as QB/OC under Brohm at WKU, and QB/Co-OC for two years at USC while helping to win a PAC 12 conference title. Beard as WR coach is unproven, and Larry Scott as OC is unproven. Whether Ty Helton is a successful OC at UT remains to be seen, but I would not call him unproven.

Unproven as an OC - yes

VN Store

Back