Alex Thomson - Wagner QB (Grad Transfer)

Thomson is a pro-style quarterback with an arm that Simms calls “powerful.” He broke out in 2016 with 16 touchdowns, 2,436 yards and just five interceptions. He only played in the first two games of this season because of a shoulder injury. His former offensive coordinator at Wagner, Rich Scangarello, is the current quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco 49ers. He’s just as resolute in his view of Thomson’s talent and future.

“I think he’s an NFL quarterback,” Scangarello said. “I have no doubt about it. He’s athletic, smart and tough, and he’s just scratching the surface as a player. He’s as good as the back-up quarterbacks in the NFL right now. I really believe that. He’s legit.”

Word has begun to trickle through college circles about Thomson’s potential. He said that he’s spoken to Tennessee offensive coordinator Tyson Helton and the Vols have offered a blueshirt. (Essentially, that means he can’t go on paid official visits and is awarded a scholarship on the first day of camp, which counts toward the following year’s recruiting class.)

With Dormady now gone this kid could be exactly what we need since he can play this season.

More competition and if JG doesn't work out or gets hurt we'll have this kid ready to step right in and go to work.

He's already Pro-style ready too so we won't have as much to teach him.

With Phil Simms teaching him and the 49ers QB coach also saying this kid is a legit NFL draft prospect in 2 years and that he's already better than most NFL backup QB's it seems like if we miss on him that we screwed up.

Reel him in Pruitt!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. Doesn’t look like he’s just going to look at 2018 as a rebuilding year and mark it down as year zero. He’s recruiting to fill immediate holes and win now.
We are not messing around is he? He is filling these holes really fast.

Regardless of who comes in I’m still rooting for JG. I still wanna believe there’s a good QB somewhere in him and seems like a good guy. Also seems like a QB who could work in a lot of different systems unlike guys like Dobbs (absolutely no knock on Josh). I want whoever helps the team win to start at QB, but I’m really pulling for JG. Interesting offer though.

Reactions: 3 people
With Dormady now gone this kid could be exactly what we need since he can play this season.

More competition and if JG doesn't work out or gets hurt we'll have this kid ready to step right in and go to work.

He's already Pro-style ready too so we won't have as much to teach him.

With Phil Simms teaching him and the 49ers QB coach also saying this kid is a legit NFL draft prospect in 2 years and that he's already better than most NFL backup QB's it seems like if we miss on him that we screwed up.

Reel him in Pruitt!

VFL...GBO!!!
I think we are going to reel him in here. He is our best bet right now.

This is from an article about signing changes from a few months back:

Other prominent portions of the legislation include:

Limiting annual scholarships to 25: An important piece of this legislation is walk-ons who have not been enrolled for two years and transfers put on scholarship will count against a team’s 25-player class size limit for first-time financial aid agreements or a National Letter of Intents. A walk-one awarded a scholarship after two years on campus would not count against the limit. The aim of this is to reduce oversigning, greyshirt and blueshirt practices.

A signing limit exemption: If a signee becomes injured and must give up football, he would not count toward the signing class limit of 25. Previously, a program would not be allowed to replace a signee who is unable to continue playing football.
This is a change? I thought this has been the rule for years

He's one of the two potential QB transfers I was informed of, and mentioned in another chat. I believe it was the QB depth chart chat. I was told he has talent, but is clearly an unknown given where he has played.

Is he better than QD / JG? I have no idea, but I think it's quality depth with little downside and huge upside.

I would prefer the other potential transfer QB I have heard UT is speaking with.

I’ve told you all, that Pruitt wants to win in 2018, and he is going to get the players to run his system right away.

Pruitt wants to win games in 2018? Really? Who knew? We’re all just a bunch of idiots for not seeing it before you declared it. Thank GOD you’re here to help us.

He's one of the two potential QB transfers I was informed of, and mentioned in another chat. I believe it was the QB depth chart chat. I was told he has talent, but is clearly an unknown given where he has played.

Is he better than QD / JG? I have no idea, but I think it's quality depth with little downside and huge upside.

I would prefer the other potential transfer QB I have heard UT is speaking with.

Why don’t you go ahead and tell us who the other one is?

Reactions: 3 people
Why don’t you go ahead and tell us who the other one is?

Not my place to share this. Would also give away who I am to a couple people on this board. With that being said, he comes from a power 5 program, but not with a ton of game experience.

Yes. Based on TD/interception ratio. You can win with this guy.

Do what? A td/interception playing in the NorthEast Conference, at the FCS level, translates to winning in the SEC? Think that may be putting the cart ever so slightly before the horse.

How about we slow our roll just a hair here. There’s a reason the kid is/was playing at that level. Let’s let him sign, get here and see what he can do before declaring that his TD/Int ratio at Wagner translates to him being a winning SEC qb. Whaddaya day?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back