Vols drop one spot to No. 19 in AP poll

Take a peak at all the other teams in the county and see how many of them are doing the exact same thing we are going especially on the road.

This isn't Bama in football.

I took a quick look at the 18 teams ahead of us in their last 3 games.

Purdue, Clemson, Ohio State and Cincy have struggled (Although OSU and Clemson have a really good win within their last 5 games). None of the other 14 teams appear to have this type of "dip" that we are seeing.

We still have 2 more weeks of league play. We will start to figure out if this was just a mid season dip or a foreshadowing of a less than stellar end of to an otherwise good season.

Last edited:
I took a quick look at the 18 teams ahead of us in their last 3 games.

Purdue, Clemson, Ohio State and Cincy have struggled (Although OSU and Clemson have a really good win within their last 5 games). None of the other teams appear to have this type of "dip" that we are seeing.

We still have 2 more weeks of league play. We will start to figure out if this was just a mid season dip or a foreshadowing of a less than stellar end of to an otherwise good season.

Purdue hasn't taken a dip?

Is this serious?

Reactions: 1 person
Purdue hasn't taken a dip?

Is this serious?

I meant to say the other 14 teams haven't taken a dip (Purdue has taken a dip). Even the 4 teams (Except OSU) that have struggled haven't been run off the court.

I updated my prior comment for clarity

Last edited:
I meant to say the other 14 teams haven't taken a dip (Purdue has taken a dip). Even the 4 teams that have struggled haven't been run off the court.

Yea Purdue has struggled. All teams are losing Except for Unc. They are peeking.

And you left out Nova and Xavier

"South Carolina lost 6 of their last 9 games last year and we know what happened after that"

Huge difference with South Carolina --

They had Sindarius Thornwell who scored 29, 24, 24, 26, and 15 in their NCAA games.

The Vols don't have a Thornwell or anyone similar to him. He was a dynamic player who could make things happen.

A team with good bigs can contain Grant Williams. We've seen it happen on several occasions.

The Vols don't have a dynamic guard who can get his points against any team.

Yea Purdue has struggled. All teams are losing Except for Unc. They are peeking.

And you left out Nova and Xavier

Nova just beat a Top 5 team this weekend and Xavier just lost for first time since mid January. Grasping for straws there. UT's losses don't concern me as much as the way we played in those losses (and the win as well).

Let's see how this week plays out. We will have 2 more data points. I hope you are right.

"South Carolina lost 6 of their last 9 games last year and we know what happened after that"

Huge difference with South Carolina --

They had Sindarius Thornwell who scored 29, 24, 24, 26, and 15 in their NCAA games.

The Vols don't have a Thornwell or anyone similar to him. He was a dynamic player who could make things happen.

A team with good bigs can contain Grant Williams. We've seen it happen on several occasions.

The Vols don't have a dynamic guard who can get his points against any team.

Pretty amazing they lost 6 of their last 9. Hard to believe

Thanks for making my point

Nova just beat a Top 5 team this weekend and Xavier just lost for first time since mid January. Grasping for straws there. The losses don't concern me as much as the way we played in those losses (and the win as well).

Let's see how this week plays out. We will have 2 more data points. I hope you are right.

lol.
You are the one that used getting run off the court line.

Hell Xavier got "run off" their own court

And Nova lost at home to a team that was 0-11 in their league. Just awful

tenor.gif

Haha. I agree with what you’re telling these goobers though.

I made a post about casual fans having a football mentality about basketball in the Regulars thread.

There just aren't any real dominant teams this year from what I can tell

There just aren't any real dominant teams this year from what I can tell

I agree with you on this point. There are a lot of teams (like USC last year) that if they get a favorable draw, get hot, or has favorable matchups they can make a deep 2nd or 3rd weekend run this year. Personally, I think we are a difference maker away in the backcourt from that happening but if I was 100% right, I'd be out in Vegas more.

I agree with you on this point. There are a lot of teams (like USC last year) that if they get a favorable draw, get hot, or has favorable matchups they can make a deep 2nd or 3rd weekend run this year. Personally, I think we are a difference maker away in the backcourt from that happening but if I was 100% right, I'd be out in Vegas more.

I don't think we are as good as USCe last year but our future is very bright

man, are we getting some pollster love or what...they like us...they really like us...:)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think we are as good as USCe last year but our future is very bright

Bruin,

USCe was an outlier in many respects last year. Of the Sweet 16 teams last year, 14 of them were in the Top 30 in offensive efficiency per Kenpom (and Wisky was #33). USCe was 91.

I think we are better team than USCe last year but they got an incredible draw, Thornwell got hot, and they defended the perimeter at an elite level. We don't have a guard like Thornwell who can carry a team and while we are very good defensively, our 3 point defense can be a little hit or miss. Unless we get an incredible draw, I think it will be hard for us to replicate their success last year.

The reason why I have brought up the peak was our offensive efficiency has gone from top 20 to #39 in just a couple of weeks (We remain top 10 defensively). For the most part, offensive efficiency is a calling card of 2nd and 3rd weekend tourney teams. Even Cuonzo's Sweet 16 team was top 15 in offensive efficiency. There's a strong correlation of the top teams that have relatively struggled recently (Clemson, OSU, Cincy, us) and being outside this Top 30 threshold.

Bruin,

USCe was an outlier in many respects last year. Of the Sweet 16 teams last year, 14 of them were in the Top 30 in offensive efficiency per Kenpom (and Wisky was #33). USCe was 91.

I think we are better team than USCe last year but they got an incredible draw, Thornwell got hot, and they defended the perimeter at an elite level. We don't have a guard like Thornwell who can carry a team and while we are very good defensively, our 3 point defense can be a little hit or miss. Unless we get an incredible draw, I think it will be hard for us to replicate their success last year.

The reason why I have brought up the peak was our offensive efficiency has gone from top 20 to #39 in just a couple of weeks (We remain top 10 defensively). For the most part, offensive efficiency is a calling card of 2nd and 3rd weekend tourney teams. Even Cuonzo's Sweet 16 team was top 15 in offensive efficiency. There's a strong correlation of the top teams that have relatively struggled recently (Clemson, OSU, Cincy, us) and being outside this Top 30 threshold.

So who’s to say that the past 4 games are who this team is and not the previous 22 games? My point being that through 22 games our offensive efficiency was Top 30(actually Top 25), in the last 4 games it has fallen, but is that a bad run of games? Going cold from 3? Playing better defensive teams? Just a coincidence?

I think drawing a conclusion based on 4 games rather than 22 is a bit of an overreaction but JMO.

VN Store

Back