Vols drop one spot to No. 19 in AP poll

Going to be crazy to see who people pick to win it all in the brackets. Will be a bunch of different teams I bet

I’m willing to bet none of the #1 seeds even make it to the National Championship game.

So who’s to say that the past 4 games are who this team is and not the previous 22 games? My point being that through 22 games our offensive efficiency was Top 30(actually Top 25), in the last 4 games it has fallen, but is that a bad run of games? Going cold from 3? Playing better defensive teams? Just a coincidence?

I think drawing a conclusion based on 4 games rather than 22 is a bit of an overreaction but JMO.

Our offensive efficiency, for the most part, has been decreasing since mid January (the Mizzou game - About 10 games). We had a brief respite playing 2 really bad defensive teams in that stretch(LSU and Ole Miss, both sub 100 teams defensively). The declines in offensive efficiency have just accelerated the last 4 games.

On the bright side, our defensive metrics have remained strong throughout.

As for causes, I think its just a case of reverting closer to the mean due to the level of backcourt talent. We aren't as good as we showed the first 16 games and not as bad as the last 4 (Probably somewhere between that we showed from the Mizzou to Ole Miss stretch)

Last edited:
Our offensive efficiency, for the most part, has been decreasing since mid January (the Mizzou game - About 10 games). We had a brief respite playing 2 really bad defensive teams in that stretch(LSU and Ole Miss, both sub 100 teams defensively). The declines in offensive efficiency have just accelerated the last 4 games.

As for causes, I think its just a case of reverting closer to the mean due to the level of backcourt talent. We aren't as good as we showed the first 16 games and not as bad as the last 4 (Probably somewhere between that we showed from the Mizzou to Ole Miss stretch)

This is intelligent talk and I enjoy reading it but for me at least you are comparing this team to teams it doesn't belong to be compared too. Our measuring stick shouldn't be against the teams that have made deep runs in March over the years. This team is centered around sophomores and there will be a time for those comparisons but this is a year or perhaps even two too early

Tennessee has to get it going again. I've not felt comfortable in the last two weeks; even Predicted the bama and uga losses. They have slipped a bit; and it's not just the losses, It's how they looked losing.

man, are we getting some pollster love or what...they like us...they really like us...:)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

That was basically my point...I don’t think we are as bad as that #39 you mentioned, I think that’s a reflection of a very poor stretch of offensive basketball. With that said there aren’t many teams in the top 40 of both offensive and defensive efficiency at this stage of the year...by my count there are 9 total in CBB, and Tennessee is 1 of them.

Michigan State, Tennessee, Purdue, Ohio State, Gonzaga, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kansas and Auburn.

Last edited:
Wow. We actually have guys here talking about a possible Final 4 berth? After what we've watched the last 4 games? I guarantee I want the Vols to win as much or more than anyone here, but I am sick of the false hope and raised..then dashed expectations.

The Vols are doing exactly what I feared under Rick Barnes. Hitting the "Barnes Wall". You saw it at Texas. Just look how his teams faded and folded down the stretch....like they are now. And gawd forbid we play Alabama at any point cuz we don't have a chance in h*ll.

It's the way it is with Barnes unless and until some transcendent talent is able to break that cycle...and win DESPITE Barnes and his tendency to fade and fold down the stretch.

Wow. We actually have guys here talking about a possible Final 4 berth? After what we've watched the last 4 games? I guarantee I want the Vols to win as much or more than anyone here, but I am sick of the false hope and raised..then dashed expectations.

The Vols are doing exactly what I feared under Rick Barnes. Hitting the "Barnes Wall". You saw it at Texas. Just look how his teams faded and folded down the stretch....like they are now. And gawd forbid we play Alabama at any point cuz we don't have a chance in h*ll.

It's the way it is with Barnes unless and until some transcendent talent is able to break that cycle...and win DESPITE Barnes and his tendency to fade and fold down the stretch.

I assume you’re talking about me, but to be clear I am not predicting a final four berth for this team. I said I’m putting them in my Final Four in my bracket bc why not? It will be a highly unpopular, unlikely result. And for me to say this before the seeding/region has been revealed makes it even that much more facetious.

That being said, I think you are underestimating the strength of this team.

Broken record

College basketball is all about matchups. If we get lucky and matchup with the right teams, then I could see us possible making a final four run. Also, the defense has kept them in every game this year, aside from the Bama game. The bracket Lunardi has us in now looks somewhat favorable.(I know that it will all change.)

VN Store

Back