What's Changed? Two Observations

Interesting that our men's team has a hard time holding a lead, but does not get nearly the criticism that Holly gets.

I don't keep much of an eye on the men's team. The men's team has always been mediocre. I've followed the Lady Vols pretty consistently since 1991 because they have consistently been winners and relevant. Unfortunately the program is being tested now. Hopefully it survives.

17-3 currently
75% historical winning %
3 Elite 8
3 SEC Championships
100% Graduation Rate
#1 Recruiting Class

F A I L

You think these things are impressive (minus the graduation rate)? You have a sad idea of what this program should expect.

The 2010’s are gonna be the first decade that we haven’t won it all at least twice since the NCAA started sponsoring Women’s B-Ball.

Reactions: 5 people
With the talent we have and the pathetic way we play, obviously something must give. Most all have pulled for Hollie since the day that she succeeded Pat but time to move on. Deep in her heart Coach knows it, hopefully she will do the right thing and resign, absent that, Phillip Fulmer must make the decision for her.

Reactions: 2 people
Bottom line is just because you worked at McDonalds's in high school doesn't make you a hamburger, working for Pat doesn't make you a basketball coach!!

Reactions: 7 people
With the talent we have and the pathetic way we play, obviously something must give. Most all have pulled for Hollie since the day that she succeeded Pat but time to move on. Deep in her heart Coach knows it, hopefully she will do the right thing and resign, absent that, Phillip Fulmer must make the decision for her.

Think of this,, before any of us knew what type of head coach she was going to be and when I'd argue she had all if not most pulling for her success. In her coaching debut, with a multitude of highly skilled McDonalds All-Americans at her disposal, she lost to Chattanooga. A team we had not lost to since 1973 if I'm not mistaken.

4. And this is a biggy. Why would you go on national tv at halftime and say publicly that you don't have answers to something? Not that she doesn't. But don't make yourself sound like you haven't a clue.

Coaches say this often at halftime. I've heard it many, many times. It is sarcasm meant to convey exasperation or frustration with the team not following instructions. It doesn't mean the coach is an idiot.

Reactions: 1 person
That's not a good enough. If six teams have done something in this sport, then we should have, as well. We are every bit as good, if not better, of a program as those teams. The lowered expectations crap has to stop. "It's really hard" is the mantra of losers.

And, as sad as it was, Pat not making it to the FF later on was a direct reflection of her illness.

Then Pat won a natty in 2008 with the illness. Because that same year she proceeded to coach a top recruiting class into a 1st round NCAA loss - worst team in LV history. Pat was fine then.

Those 6 teams have head coaches with decades of head coaching experience, similar facilities, fan support, and often better recruits.

And we've not become losers or adopted the mantra thereof. Geez, Uni.

Reactions: 3 people
Holly has a lot of wins but not against top level teams so in that regard, she has been a failure. The issues you mentioned are a recipe for failure. I really believe that Holly is clueless as to what she can do to get consistency from this team. She has a very difficult time matching wits with top coaches.

This season we beat #2 Texas. We beat #9 SC. We beat #18 Stanford.

Last season, we beat 4 top 10 teams, 2 on their home floor. Stanford, Note Dame, Mississippi State (NCAA runner-up), and SC (NCAA Champ).

Now, I'll give you we are not consistent enough. But the other things you're incorrect about.

Give ME a team of midlevel 3 star players and I personally will outcoach Holly and beat her team. The formula is so easy....even someone who has never coached basketball can do it everytime.

You stuff the middle of the lane and play tough perimeter D. This will lead to a wild 3 point attempt or what Holly will do is try and force the ball inside...and what will happen is either a terrible pass...or the player getting the ball will fumble it away or take a wild, errant shot..and Holly will go back to this over and over and over.

It's sooooo easy to beat Holly. The only reason she wins some of these games is our talent simply being too much to overcome at times and players succeeding DESPITE Holly. But as far as a gameplan when you're down against Holly's Vols? It's so easy to beat them it's laughable. Yes...even a caveman can do it without breaking a sweat.

Wait, if you could do it with 3 stars and no coaching experience, what does that say about these 17 teams that have lost to us...some with top talent and hall of fame coaches?

You say our talent overcame them, but yet YOU could beat us.

I'm just going to assume that's some kind of hyperbole.

Then Pat won a natty in 2008 with the illness. Because that same year she proceeded to coach a top recruiting class into a 1st round NCAA loss - worst team in LV history. Pat was fine then.

Those 6 teams have head coaches with decades of head coaching experience, similar facilities, fan support, and often better recruits.

It is what losers say because it allows for something less than what one is capable of until mediocrity is the norm. Not being in the top 5 and it being ok because other teams have so many "advantages" becomes acceptance of a top 10 program. Then, "well, top 15 is still pretty good". By that point, you've devalued the product to the point where it's a pretty good team in the SEC and little more.

And, those "advantages" of the six teams are crap. Warlick has been around a long time and had everything in place, and more, to be an immediate winner, unlike most coaches, who have had to build up from nothing. Otherwise, what, we have to wait until those 6 team's coaches retire or Warlick gets 10-15 years into the job before expecting a Final Four or something?

Reactions: 10 people
It is what losers say because it allows for something less than what one is capable of until mediocrity is the norm. Not being in the top 5 and it being ok because other teams have so many "advantages" becomes acceptance of a top 10 program. Then, "well, top 15 is still pretty good". By that point, you've devalued the product to the point where it's a pretty good team in the SEC and little more.

And, those "advantages" of the six teams are crap. Warlick has been around a long time and had everything in place, and more, to be an immediate winner, unlike most coaches, who have had to build up from nothing. Otherwise, what, we have to wait until those 6 team's coaches retire or Warlick gets 10-15 years into the job before expecting a Final Four or something?

Seems we've become a 'Tailgate' fan base in most of our sports. Let's wear our orange, have fun tailgating and if we win it's just a bonus.

Pat wasn't diagnosed until 2011, but I remember thinking something was "off" in Pat several years earlier. The changes were subtle at first, but I am convinced that she was already in the early stages in 2008.

I remember how her interviews became weaker and weaker and how she began to be increasingly repetitive and using the same clichés over and over in moments when it seemed like she was just saying something automatically instead of expressing thoughts.

IMO, Pat had lost a bit of herself long before she or anyone else really understood what was happening. And really, who was going to tell Pat Summitt that she seemed "off"????

Do you actually believe the things you post or are they just hyperbole?

Please stop undervaluing quality achievements by adopting a mentality of win or die. You're just using it to criticize the coach and the team.

No one has stopped trying to win (well maybe at LSU they did...lol).

Do you actually believe the things you post or are they just hyperbole?

Please stop undervaluing quality achievements by adopting a mentality of win or die. You're just using it to criticize the coach and the team.

No one has stopped trying to win (well maybe at LSU they did...lol).

I don't think you even understand what is being discussed here on a certain level. It isn't necessarily about wins and losses, but reaching potential. You want to excuse the continual lack of underachieving with the program because you like Holly Warlick. You make excuses because what has been done under Warlick has been "pretty good". That isn't the goal, to have some wins and win a few games in a tournament. They should succeed according to their capabilities.

The point above was that, if you start allowing expectations to fall below capabilities, soon the results and expectations fall until they're almost unrecognizable from other teams. You seem well on your way with being perfectly alright with this. I am not.

Reactions: 12 people
I don't think you even understand what is being discussed here on a certain level. It isn't necessarily about wins and losses, but reaching potential. You want to excuse the continual lack of underachieving with the program because you like Holly Warlick. You make excuses because what has been done under Warlick has been "pretty good". That isn't the goal, to have some wins and win a few games in a tournament. They should succeed according to their capabilities.

The point above was that, if you start allowing expectations to fall below capabilities, soon the results and expectations fall until they're almost unrecognizable from other teams. You seem well on your way with being perfectly alright with this. I am not.

Gotcha. Enjoy.

Not sure where to put this post so I will post it here. I coach a youth club team of 9 yr old girls and we are gonna be coming to the South Carolina game. Is there anyway that my team can meet the lady vols and get some autographs. Any and all help/suggestions is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Bump. Can anyone add to what chattvol has already told me. Thanks again chattvol.

Yes, it was bad that Pat lost. Pat did redeem hersself with tittles. What are Holly's excuses? Do you want to bet your house that Holly will win a title?

Then she has be to given credit for the upturn:

Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
and
HOLLY

I would like to perhaps submit that most Coaches are gaged by what their record is over the entire season. And in round ball, it is even simpler.
Did you get in the tournament.
What was you seed.
And how far did you go.
That is pretty much it.
Holly will be lucky to win 2 in the SEC tourney and will go quietly in the post season.
The END is near. :hi:

Yes, it was bad that Pat lost. Pat did redeem hersself with tittles. What are Holly's excuses? Do you want to bet your house that Holly will win a title?

Holly doesn't need excuses. She's a coach with 5 years of head coaching experience, and she's had a lot of success.

I'm not betting my house on anyone winning a title because those are bad odds for any team, even UConn.

But yes, I believe Holly and TN are in the top 10 most likely teams in any given year.

Reactions: 4 people
I would like to perhaps submit that most Coaches are gaged by what their record is over the entire season. And in round ball, it is even simpler.
Did you get in the tournament.
What was you seed.
And how far did you go.
That is pretty much it.
Holly will be lucky to win 2 in the SEC tourney and will go quietly in the post season.
The END is near. :hi:

End of...? Nevermind, it doesn't really matter.

:):):)Your #2 observations are right on target...we have gone to a "standing offense" with no movement of players. Why wait until time is running out? We need to go back to a team play instead of completely on Russell.
Why does CHW not play Courtney...she comes in makes a 3-pointer or two and then is benched after 3 to 4 minutes of play. Why? I would like to see CHW fired and replaced with Tomika Katchings or Kara Lawson.

Tired of people wondering why Courtney doesn't get more playing time. She seems like a great teammate and person, but shes a total defensive liability.

Her 36% 3 point shooting clip doesn't make up for her total inability to keep her player in front on defense. Better defense = more minutes.

A possible 1 or 2 more three pointers per game isn't going to make up for what she gives up in terms of defensive quickness and effort.

Tired of people wondering why Courtney doesn't get more playing time. She seems like a great teammate and person, but shes a total defensive liability.

Her 36% 3 point shooting clip doesn't make up for her total inability to keep her player in front on defense. Better defense = more minutes.

A possible 1 or 2 more three pointers per game isn't going to make up for what she gives up in terms of defensive quickness and effort.

She isnt the only one on this team that cant keep someone in front of her.

Reactions: 1 person
But who is she better than on the team, besides maybe Harris.

Kortney, play your role boo.

I back Pat and roll with HOlly.

VN Store

Back