Recruiting Forum Football Talk LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the projected starting defense for WVU heading into fall camp.

Some notes:

1) Benson at SAM is a JUCO (Butler CC) that arrived in January (EE)
2) Tonkery at MIKE is a converted safety
3) Pitts at right corner is also a converted safety
4) They only have 1 blue chip player but most have decent age
5) They have a handful of summer arrivals so 2 or 3 of these guys may have some competition in fall camp
6) In 2017 their Run D ranked #104, Pass D ranked #91, Total D ranked #107, & Scoring D ranked #90
7) No coaching changes to 2017 staff and the offense got the new hire 10th assistant for Tight Ends

View attachment 160356

Awesome data you provide here. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 person
This is the presumed strength of the WVU team. Its heavy on experience but much of its production in 2017 came against extremely weak teams (worse than we were). Grier is their only blue chipper projected as a starter. His backup from last year transferred so the backup this year is a RS SO transfer from Miami, also a blue chipper, but he has never played a down of college ball. No other blue chips are projected on their 2-deep headed into fall camp. TJ Simmons, a high 3-star transfer from Bama figures to be in the wr rotation. The other 2 RBs expected on their depth chart are slightly smaller and in the same talent tier as their starter. Interesting note: celebrated WR Sills is a converted QB.

ScreenHunter_05 Jul. 25 05.28.gif

Stop this unit and not only do we likely win the game we also likely take much of the "juice" out of Grier's Heisman hopes.

Reactions: 2 people
Here is the projected starting defense for WVU heading into fall camp.

Some notes:

1) Benson at SAM is a JUCO (Butler CC) that arrived in January (EE)
2) Tonkery at MIKE is a converted safety
3) Pitts at right corner is also a converted safety
4) They only have 1 blue chip player but most have decent age
5) They have a handful of summer arrivals so 2 or 3 of these guys may have some competition in fall camp
6) In 2017 their Run D ranked #104, Pass D ranked #91, Total D ranked #107, & Scoring D ranked #90
7) No coaching changes to 2017 staff and the offense got the new hire 10th assistant for Tight Ends

View attachment 160356

8) They have no film on our new offense.

Reactions: 4 people
This is the presumed strength of the WVU team. Its heavy on experience but much of its production in 2017 came against extremely weak teams (worse than we were). Grier is their only blue chipper projected as a starter. His backup from last year transferred so the backup this year is a RS SO transfer from Miami, also a blue chipper, but he has never played a down of college ball. No other blue chips are projected on their 2-deep headed into fall camp. TJ Simmons, a high 3-star transfer from Bama figures to be in the wr rotation. The other 2 RBs expected on their depth chart are slightly smaller and in the same talent tier as their starter. Interesting note: celebrated WR Sills is a converted QB.

View attachment 160357

Stop this unit and not only do we likely win the game we also likely take much of the "juice" out of Grier's Heisman hopes.

The only thing I would add to this is they hired a TE coach for the first time under Holgerson, and plan to use the TE a lot more this season including more 2 TE sets. They also added a transfer from Miami, Jovani Haskins, who 247 rated as a 4 star out of HS(3 star .8776 composite) and a couple of freshman signees. I don't know that this really makes them a ton better since the offense was never really in question, but just so you have up to date info. Here is Haskins 247 page:

Jovani Haskins, Bergenfield, Tight End

And an article about their new love for TE's:

WVU football: Wesco, Haskins motivate tight end revival in 2018

And now, Wesco is one of the biggest puzzle pieces for the 2018 season that promises to involve tight ends -- plural. Things sure do change.

"One year," Wesco remembered of his introduction to the program and the mandatory position meetings in 2016, "it was just me by myself in a room."

It's standing room only now. Wesco is joined by Miami transfer Jovani Haskins, freshmen T.J. Banks and Mike O'Laughlin and intriguing walk-ons Jesse Beal, a former minor-league baseball player, and Matt Bezjak, plus a handful of fullback bodies and a full-time position coach.

“I think we're definitely going to see more of the tight end, 100 percent,” Wesco said. “I’m excited for us to be on the field and have the opportunity to help our team win games. We’ll block, catch, do whatever we can do to win.”

Haskins is different. He'd a redshirt sophomore who hasn't played a down of college football. He redshirted at Miami in 2016 and sat out last season with the Mountaineers, but before that, Haskins was a quarterback/jack-of-all-trades in high school. He's better off playing off the line and in the slot.

"He's a talented guy -- naturally," Grier said. "He's really, really gifted. One of those big, long guys who's really athletic with big hands. He could lose 10 pounds and be a good receiver. He could gain 10 pounds and be a really good tight end. I think he can do both because he's strong enough to block people, but we can still spread it out a little bit with him. I think he can be a good player for us this year."

I need Vols swag for an 11, 9, and 7 year old (b, b, g) before the WVU game here in Charlotte.

Seeking best places to find kids gear, online.

View attachment 160357

You wanna help me put together the pre-game analysis and prediction thread this year :hi:

You have a tendency of putting together things I can’t. Would really be a benefit to the forum to see this type of detail weekly

Reactions: 10 people
Fun fact Barry Sanders was a very big advocate for the one back offense... he hated two back offenses. He said it muddy his vision/reads.

I just thought I would throw that in with a lot of people wanting to see a fullback in the game... legit arguments from
Both sides...

I don’t think it’s so much about FB or I form. More than just being under center at least 35ish% of the time. You can run the same run concepts in single back as you can with a full back. Just more versatility when you’re not solely out of shotgun.

You wanna help me put together the pre-game analysis and prediction thread this year :hi:

You have a tendency of putting together things I can’t. Would really be a benefit to the forum to see this type of detail weekly

I vote yes for this.

Reactions: 4 people
Good answers..I can respect that. I just think KC has never shown anything more than pure mediocrity at best, and for him to be annointed starter before practice even starts is ridiculous. I mean if he really is going around telling people he is the starter, has he really been told that?

The dude had a infinitely easier path to success at Stanford...and still washed out. That doesn't tell me he is worthy of being given the spot. If he earns it during fall practice then that is fine, but how can anybody make a honest and fair assessment on it at this point?

Yea i mean it comes down to personal preference i guess more than anything. I’ve liked some things that KC has shown on tape coupled with some stuff that I’ve heard and what people have told me.

I do think Stanford is so well coached (i think David Shaw is a top 5 coach in CFB) that their actual talent gets overrated. I would say we have the same if not better raw talent but butch vs Shaw is not even close.

But like i said I will gladly eat Crowe on JG if he comes out wins the job and plays well. I personally just don’t see it happening.

Copy and paste or drag and drop images, embeds are a breeze (yes, even YouTube), so much more functionality with mobile, and starting player threads just made Ron’s life so much easier by embedding player profiles. So much more, and only a little while longer.

Just no more 50 posts per page. 😥

I was going to like this post until you typed the last sentence. Now, I have no idea how I am going to stay on this site :)

Same functionality either place. There will be minor grumbling of getting used to it, but man it’s sweet. So many more features than what we have today. Tag people and be able to filter recruits by year too.

Can I see how many total likes I have on mobile? That's all I really care about anyway.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back