Vols Defensive Back Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are cops in certain agencies that do really honorable work. The reason people have such a negative viewpoint of certain other police (I believe mostly small town or county police) is because they work for a broken justice system. They've become money collectors. When you see someone arrested they're often stuck with 4 or 5 separate charges, all that come with hundreds in fines. I'm not saying those people aren't guilty of those charges, but I wonder what percentage of the time they're actually hurting anybody or causing any real societal problem. Even among the strict law-abiding citizenry almost everyone has gotten a speeding ticket. They have a quota for a reason. Then there's the shooting of unarmed citizens, often unfairly covered by the media or just not given with the proper context. Anyway, this is not to take away from police who put their lives on the line to protect others. Just trying to reason why cops are viewed in a negative light.
Ticket qoutas...lol

The news rarely reports when the cops get it right, but always report when they get it wrong. I'm sure being a police officer in today's world is a tough job given all the negativity they face. No one enjoys getting caught doing something they shouldn't be doing.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the good cops far outnumber the bad. But simply being respectful and obeying lawful commands will probably keep you from getting jammed up. Don't be stupid.

Pruitt will get the facts and decide George's fate. I know these kids like to go out and have fun, but really, they need to be smarter with their decisions. He's jeopardized his college education, and any football success, by making poor decisions.

For those joking about him being unable to outrun the cops, you ever tried running while drunk?

As a proud law enforcement officer, I find the anti police rhetoric in this thread horrifying. I'm honestly deeply saddened that some people can be this blind to what police face every day. Sure, there are bad apples in our ranks but there are bad attorneys, teachers, preachers, factory workers etc. Funny how you never see the 1% of those professions representing the other 99%. Some of you people are sickening.

You talk like having a hard job justifies perverse violence and recklessly false charges, or are you saying those things don't happen when a LOT of people are telling you that they do? Enduring shifts in a scary part of town does not justify taking out their fear at another time and place on people who are not criminals. I've lived in a number of places. KPD was the most undisciplined, unprofessional, corrupt ,and recklessly violent of them all, by far. And one of the places I lived was New Orleans, which is supposed to have one of the worst PDs in the country. I'd take NOPD over KPD, and it's not even close. The police where I live in Florida are so much more professional that they make KPD look like a gang of dressed up thugs. Lookit, I don't want to give the impression that I am not sympathetic to the hardships and hazards police endure. But that does not make the misconduct less real, so don't talk as if it does. You're just making people who've seen it p.o.'ed. I've never worked in an industry where co-workers were required to cover up everyone's misconduct. But sure, it does happen in other professions. That is what we are talking about, and that is what you are doing. Where did this incident occur, Miami? LOL

Last edited:
The news rarely reports when the cops get it right, but always report when they get it wrong. I'm sure being a police officer in today's world is a tough job given all the negativity they face. No one enjoys getting caught doing something they shouldn't be doing.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the good cops far outnumber the bad. But simply being respectful and obeying lawful commands will probably keep you from getting jammed up. Don't be stupid.

Pruitt will get the facts and decide George's fate. I know these kids like to go out and have fun, but really, they need to be smarter with their decisions. He's jeopardized his college education, and any football success, by making poor decisions.

For those joking about him being unable to outrun the cops, you ever tried running while drunk?
Agreed.
Truth is always somewhere in the middle of the message board extreme takes. From basic math (realistic percentages of corrupt citizens) and personal experience, I would put the "bad" well over the 1% suggested here but still definitely well in the minority.
Negative experiences, personal or witnessed, do tend to make a larger impression than the positive. This does lead to an unfair stereotype or bias against the many good officers also. Society needs to do a better job mentally separating the overwhelmingly good officers from those that abuse their positions.

Of course many of the good officers could do a much better job of a public willingness to police their own.
Their bias also becomes very apparent when the subject becomes the lead topic. Even this thread has shown evidence of this.

As for George, *appears straight up guilty. Pruitt can decide on serious assault and attitude or drunk college kid acting completely out of his norm on spring break. I'll be ok with either.

Reactions: tbh
This kid shouldn’t be kicked off the team for hitting a cop. He should be kicked off for not knocking the cop out with the punch and then not being able to out run them.

Reasons people become cops:
1. Too stupid and lazy to go to college.
2. Too stupid and lazy to major in something other than criminal justice.
3. Can’t qualify for the Marine Corp.
4. Cousin became sheriff and offered job. It’s better than working the local Hardee’s drive-thru.
5. Enjoys working closely to other men in cop uniforms.
6. Likes harassing black people.
Some of you folks just embarrass yourselves with the crap that comes out of your mouths......

Not as big as the one you carry against person's who make a mistake in life, sorry, we're not all little baby Jesus's like yourself.
I don't know what you think I've said, but I haven't said anything like throw this guy under the jail. My take has been I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. I truly hope the report isn't totally true and he's able to continue to be a part of our team. Lastly, I'm all for second, third and umpteen chances for people. Christ didn't condemn us for our sin, but died that we might be forgiven for them.

It wouldn't be on duty. And it wouldn't be an attempt.
Off duty? In your line of work the community sees a Police Officer. The news would report an off duty Pilice Officer saves the day when he stopped an attempted armed robbery of the local Waffel House.

And I wonder where they got that idea?

Or would you get arrested like the rest of us for assault? You would prove it was self defense at the trial and receive full pay for the whole deal.

I’m not saying what would happen I’m just saying what we both would expect to happen.

Being a cop has got to be a tough job. There are only a few that want you to shoot back at the guy with the gun. At least as non cops we are told to shoot to kill.

You talk like having a hard job justifies perverse violence and recklessly false charges, or are you saying those things don't happen when a LOT of people are telling you that they do? Enduring shifts in a scary part of town does not justify taking out their fear at another time and place on people who are not criminals. I've lived in a number of places. KPD was the most undisciplined, unprofessional, corrupt ,and recklessly violent of them all, by far. And one of the places I lived was New Orleans, which is supposed to have one of the worst PDs in the country. I'd take NOPD over KPD, and it's not even close. The police where I live in Florida are so much more professional that they make KPD look like a gang of dressed up thugs. Lookit, I don't want to give the impression that I am not sympathetic to the hardships and hazards police endure. But that does not make the misconduct less real, so don't talk as if it does. You're just making people who've seen it p.o.'ed. I've never worked in an industry where co-workers were required to cover up everyone's misconduct. But sure, it does happen in other professions. That is what we are talking about, and that is what you are doing. Where did this incident occur, Miami? LOL
At what point do you see / hear enough made up stories about police to know that people do that as well?

Reactions: Vol Main
I don't know what you think I've said, but I haven't said anything like throw this guy under the jail. My take has been I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. I truly hope the report isn't totally true and he's able to continue to be a part of our team. Lastly, I'm all for second, third and umpteen chances for people. Christ didn't condemn us for our sin, but died that we might be forgiven for them.
You must not be familiar with how things work here. If someone disagrees with you slightly, then your opinion must be the extreme opposite opinion that is totally unreasonable.

There are cops in certain agencies that do really honorable work. The reason people have such a negative viewpoint of certain other police (I believe mostly small town or county police) is because they work for a broken justice system. They've become money collectors. When you see someone arrested they're often stuck with 4 or 5 separate charges, all that come with hundreds in fines. I'm not saying those people aren't guilty of those charges, but I wonder what percentage of the time they're actually hurting anybody or causing any real societal problem. Even among the strict law-abiding citizenry almost everyone has gotten a speeding ticket. They have a quota for a reason. Then there's the shooting of unarmed citizens, often unfairly covered by the media or just not given with the proper context. Anyway, this is not to take away from police who put their lives on the line to protect others. Just trying to reason why cops are viewed in a negative light.
Cops are viewed in a negative light due to the bad apples and they have the authority to interrupt people’s day for little stuff when all the big stuff keeps rolling along.
They are cutting the grass when the house is on fire.

Cops are viewed in a negative light due to the bad apples and they have the authority to interrupt people’s day for little stuff when all the big stuff keeps rolling along.
They are cutting the grass when the house is on fire.
They arent firemen, but ok

Who said they were firemen? No me.

All the little stuff they spend so much time on when serious crimes are being committed.

They aren’t landscapers either.
What small stuff? You do realize that patrol cops dont typically investgate major organized crime, right?

Exactly. Maybe the budget should be adjusted to spend more money on investigating murders rather than who isn’t wearing a seatbelt.
Most departments have people that investigate murders, has nothing to do with street patrol. However, you can pretty much guarantee when a shooting or major event happens, guy are not out making traffic stops. But from now on, ill call every pd in the us every time we have a shooting so they can all converge and investigate a single homicide.

Weird, I never would have put you in the ignorant group on a subject..who knew

Picked up in the spring last year...when we were looking for bodies. He barely played in high school and was working minimum wage jobs. Grew, started working out with the help of his brother and enrolled in juco in Denton, TX. Performed well and got this opportunity. If you followed recruiting, you would’ve heard. He didn’t play much so it’s understandable that you didn’t.
I do follow recruiting but still don’t remember signing him. Oh well.....

This kid shouldn’t be kicked off the team for hitting a cop. He should be kicked off for not knocking the cop out with the punch and then not being able to out run them.

4. Cousin became sheriff and offered job. It’s better than working the local Hardee’s drive-thru.

That is total BS! Let's just do without them and see how much you like it when you need them! Of course there are bad apples in every group; however, your comments only reflect a very small percentage of our men and women in blue.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back