Let’s Be Realistic

a kid had a crazy game, scored 32, and half his points were deep for NBA, and hand in the face...thats an outlier...he scores just 20 (which is still a good game) we win by about 15. We just need to stop trying to match teams shooting threes. That's not our game. Sure when ur wide open shoot it, but get that ball in the paint and stop allowing offensive rebounds.

Why can't we defend the 3's?
We defended the threes. They still made them. Did you see UNC vs Iona? UNC didn't defend the three. Iona still missed. How many wide open threes did Iona brick? If they were hot, NC would be home right now.
Dude from Colgate didn't hit 97 3s against us because we play bad defense. He did it because he had an unconscious night. It happens. See the bank shot on the last one.
Iowa better be hot. We win by the oft-mentioned 15 if they're not.

We defended the threes. They still made them. Did you see UNC vs Iona? UNC didn't defend the three. Iona still missed. How many wide open threes did Iona brick? If they were hot, NC would be home right now.
Dude from Colgate didn't hit 97 3s against us because we play bad defense. He did it because he had an unconscious night. It happens. See the bank shot on the last one.
Respectfully, I’m not sure I agree. Teams that are effective at not just scoring a lot on 3s, but running an offensive scheme to get a lot of open looks (Auburn), seems to cause us trouble. Sure there were 3s that we contested, but both Auburn games they worked the ball to get some very open shots. More often than not, if you can at least contest the 3s, a team will shoot at best around their average. Don’t know if it is the defensive scheme that Barnes deploys, the makeup of our personnel, or defensive energy levels.

Reactions: RollerVol
The three point shot makes otherwise fair teams into very good teams. Think if there was no three point shot in college basketball we would have to deduct 15 off of Colgate and they score 55. We'd give up 9 and end up with 68 and win by 13. Auburn loses at home without the three. LSU also loses at home. The three is a huge weapon for teams to upset better teams and even when you defend very well guys can get in a zone in certain games. We've had more than our share of that lately. I know we won a game because of the three when we beat Gonzaga Admiral got in a zone and couldn't miss. Hopefully some of our guys get that shot going tomorrow.

Respectfully, I’m not sure I agree. Teams that are effective at not just scoring a lot on 3s, but running an offensive scheme to get a lot of open looks (Auburn), seems to cause us trouble. Sure there were 3s that we contested, but both Auburn games they worked the ball to get some very open shots. More often than not, if you can at least contest the 3s, a team will shoot at best around their average. Don’t know if it is the defensive scheme that Barnes deploys, the makeup of our personnel, or defensive energy levels.

Auburn’s 4/5 man (Okeke) can hit three point shots. Yesterday, Colgate had 3-4 guys on the court at one time that could hit threes. It’s where the game is going, and those teams give us trouble. Sure, defense can be better. But I have seen quite a few contested three pointers that have been made in the last two games.

This team doesn’t blow anybody out. They don’t beat teams by 15 or more unless their opponent plays poorly. The stage for this is past. We should know by now that the Vols have a tendency to play down to their opponent. That’s ok, as long as they scrap out a win.

Iowa will be real test. Like UT, they are a scrappy team. Many were down on IU because they played poorly their last five games, which is dangerous. They are not sensational, but the Big12 is a very tough conference.

Unless we pay extremely well, we should prepare for a close win. We should fully expect that that the Vols will play hard, and even expecting we won’t shoot well, we should demand at least a narrow win based on effort. Anything else will be a disappointment for the season.
what is wrong with you? We have more than 20 double digit wins on the season, our margin of victory is one of the highest in the country. You've watched this team all year and your pathetic take is that we don't blow out teams? Watch out VN we've got a new championship contender in worst takes of the year!!

Reactions: Joefoxx and butchna
“Let’s be realistic”

Let’s continue to spew the same ole crap every time the Vols are losing.

Yeah I think you watched both of those games obviously pulling for Tennessee to win and UNC to lose. Trust me, it wasn't as simple as Colgate just got really hot against a good defense and Iona just missed open shot after open shot against a bad defense. If you couldn't tell that UNC's defense picked up in the 2nd half then you had some extreme bias going on. Sure Iona missed some open shots but so did UNC, so did Colgate and so did Tennessee.

This team and the group of players it has are very mature and experienced. All that matters in the tournament is the ability to win and move on. Style points don't matter. Ranking doesn't matter. Names don't matter. Grit, determination and sheer will matters. When it comes down to the thing that matters, I'd pick our guys against anyone.

Reactions: claimjumper steve

VN Store

Back