My predictions for 2019

Lmfao did you just use total yards stat? You do realize we only played 12 games and were 122nd in tempo last year, right? Either being deceitful or are downright ignorant of what stats matter. Using total yards is like...from the 1920's. Yikes.

One word about offense - worst rushing in the SEC. You have to grasp that Guarantano is not the rushing offense.

Offense is 38th S&P+
94th FEI
Both agree lack of success rate, rank higher in explosive plays. Fact is we ranked middle of the country in passing. Near the bottom in rushing.

Defense by efficiency ratings, tempo and opponent adjusted -
82nd (FEI)
72nd (S&P+)
Tangible stats matter. I could use any tangible stat from any record book and they would keep saying the same thing, that team sucked. We can factor in lack of explosive plays, how many sidewalk cracks JG stepped on, and airspeed velocity of the ball during specific moments of humidity, or "non garbage plays" and guess what? That team still only won 5 games and the offense woefully bad.

But thanks for clearing up that JG isn't the rushing offense....and to think all this time I've been thinking he was making plays with his legs...

Last edited:
Lmfao did you just use total yards stat? You do realize we only played 12 games and were 122nd in tempo last year, right? Either being deceitful or are downright ignorant of what stats matter. Using total yards is like...from the 1920's. Yikes.

One word about offense - worst rushing in the SEC. You have to grasp that Guarantano is not the rushing offense.

Offense is 38th S&P+
94th FEI
Both agree lack of success rate, rank higher in explosive plays. Fact is we ranked middle of the country in passing. Near the bottom in rushing.

82nd (FEI)
72nd (S&P+)
You post that... and cannot see the shear fact that if they could have called on JG to do more they would have. The "tempo" had a lot to do with defensive depth. Good decision. It also had to do with a QB who couldn't put his O in the end zone or be trusted to throw medium or high risk passes. It isn't either/or... it is all of the above to INCLUDE the deficiencies of JG.

Reactions: 08Vol and FLVOL_79
I wish we'd just take Florida off the schedule, we'll never ever ever everever beat them and it's turning our fans into cowardly babies. It's embarrassing how we go on and on and on in every "prediction" type thread about it. If they are an automatic loss, why play them?

We will beat Alabama many years before we beat Florida. The almighty Gators should just be moved to the NFL.

#sniffpleasetakesniffFloridaoffourschedulesnifsniff

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I have been thinking around 5-7 or 6-6 and not much over that to be honest...We get blown out against Mizzou and Vandy again and the the winds of orange hell will be blowing strong once again...I expect it but hope it doesn't happen...It actually bothers me to feel this way..I am so used to being disappointed that I expect bad things to happen.

Why? What have you seen from their program at this point that legitimately leads you to believe they’re about to fall off? Sure sounds like wishful thinking.
Lighten up, Francis. Coached in GA 33 years. Know several people around the program. Warning signs are inability to recruit/keep a top level QB since Fromm, an increase in arrests and other off the field (grades,etc) issues that are trending back to Richt levels. Division that still exists in the locker room over the Fields situation. Some are questioning the real reason Chaney would up and leave.

Reactions: tennvols77

Offense is 38th S&P+
94th FEI

82nd (FEI)
72nd (S&P+)
You’re right Devo, but all efforts to defend JG to ANY extent, no matter how balanced and proven your effort may be, will be summarily rejected by a handful of guys on here who have just determined that come hell or high water, that he just sucks, and that’s all there is to it. I know, I’ve tried.

For instance, when I said, “you know, JG was really bad in 2017 when he held the ball way too long and took too many bad sacks.....but he showed glimpses of potential on what should’ve been a game-winning drive vs SCar, vs LSU in the first half before his ankle injury, and vs Kentucky”.....that was met with, “you’re crazy, he sucks”

When I’ve said about JG last year, “he was improved a good bit with not holding the ball as long, as partially evidenced by him taking 6-7 fewer sacks, in 5-6 more starts, behind inarguably the worst OL in college football”.....that’s been met with “the OL and scheme actually wasn’t nearly as bad as you guys say, it was actually pretty, good, JG just held onto the balk too long, way longer than Chryst (which btw was proven completely wrong) and he sucks”.

When people have said “Maurer or Shrout better be the QB this year because we don’t win 3 games with JG at QB this year”, and it’s pointed out that “we won 5 games last year with him”, those same guys typically follow up with, “he sucks”.

And perhaps my favorite, when I say “actually, when you look at his stats from last year, you see that he was great with his TD pass to Int ratio, threw the ball downfield at a good clip, and had a passer rating just under Peyton Manning’s when he was at Tennessee”......and that’s met with “he can’t read defenses, he locks in on every receiver on every throw, he only ever throws short drop off passes most of the time and, of course, he sucks”.

So, I suggest you do what I’ve tried to do more and more here recently,which is step away from arguing about JG with guys who just think he’s horrible no matter what you say. Any proof to any extent to the contrary just isn’t gonna have any impact on these guys. You can’t even say, as I’ve said many times “JG ain’t great, still has some things to improve on, but he’s done some good things in poor circumstances and he’s tough as nails”......you still get, you guessed it....”he sucks”.

Reactions: Behr
You’re right Devo, but all efforts to defend JG to ANY extent, no matter how balanced and proven your effort may be, will be summarily rejected by a handful of guys on here who have just determined that come hell or high water, that he just sucks, and that’s all there is to it. I know, I’ve tried.

For instance, when I said, “you know, JG was really bad in 2017 when he held the ball way too long and took too many bad sacks.....but he showed glimpses of potential on what should’ve been a game-winning drive vs SCar, vs LSU in the first half before his ankle injury, and vs Kentucky”.....that was met with, “you’re crazy, he sucks”

When I’ve said about JG last year, “he was improved a good bit with not holding the ball as long, as partially evidenced by him taking 6-7 fewer sacks, in 5-6 more starts, behind inarguably the worst OL in college football”.....that’s been met with “the OL and scheme actually wasn’t nearly as bad as you guys say, it was actually pretty, good, JG just held onto the balk too long, way longer than Chryst (which btw was proven completely wrong) and he sucks”.

When people have said “Maurer or Shrout better be the QB this year because we don’t win 3 games with JG at QB this year”, and it’s pointed out that “we won 5 games last year with him”, those same guys typically follow up with, “he sucks”.

And perhaps my favorite, when I say “actually, when you look at his stats from last year, you see that he was great with his TD pass to Int ratio, threw the ball downfield at a good clip, and had a passer rating just under Peyton Manning’s when he was at Tennessee”......and that’s met with “he can’t read defenses, he locks in on every receiver on every throw, he only ever throws short drop off passes most of the time and, of course, he sucks”.

So, I suggest you do what I’ve tried to do more and more here recently,which is step away from arguing about JG with guys who just think he’s horrible no matter what you say. Any proof to any extent to the contrary just isn’t gonna have any impact on these guys. You can’t even say, as I’ve said many times “JG ain’t great, still has some things to improve on, but he’s done some good things in poor circumstances and he’s tough as nails”......you still get, you guessed it....”he sucks”.

Haha, I understand more than you know. :)

Been pretty spot on the last 5 years so thought I give it a go again. Will get a lot of hate for picks.

Realistic projection I would bet on

GA State -W. We win by 50 and volnation exclaims we are back

BYU -L. Close low scoring game could go either way. Volnation servers explode

Chat -W.
UF - L
UGA - L
MS State - L
Alabama - L
USCjr. - L
UAB - W
KY - W
Missouri - L
Vanderbilt-W

5 and 7 missing bowl again. Obv rooting for 6-6 and a bowl

Picks as a UT fan

GA State -W
BYU -W
Chat -W
UF - W
UGA - L just too good right now
MS State - W
Alabama - L. Just no
USCjr. - W
UAB - W
KY - W
Missouri - W
Vanderbilt-W

10-2 LFG

How are you spot on the last 5 years with a membership in late 2017? and 6 total posts?

well written post. JG still isnt good.

Lighten up, Francis. Coached in GA 33 years. Know several people around the program. Warning signs are inability to recruit/keep a top level QB since Fromm, an increase in arrests and other off the field (grades,etc) issues that are trending back to Richt levels. Division that still exists in the locker room over the Fields situation. Some are questioning the real reason Chaney would up and leave.
Eason and Fields leaving because they couldn't beat out Fromm isn't too surprising. Before the season started most people thought Fromm or Fields would be gone when the season was over (I honestly thought Fields would beat out Fromm). It's more surprising when a highly ranked backup QB stays in college football today, unless you think there are red flags at Clemson too.

Reactions: 08Vol
Eason and Fields leaving because they couldn't beat out Fromm isn't too surprising. Before the season started most people thought Fromm or Fields would be gone when the season was over (I honestly thought Fields would beat out Fromm). It's more surprising when a highly ranked backup QB stays in college football today, unless you think there are red flags at Clemson too.
i think it's surprising all these 5* qb's keep signing with the same schools in consecutive years. tells me something is up on the recruiting of these kids, cause inevitably, they are now showing to leave at the first sign of adversity.

Eason's case is a little different in that he got injured and i doubt From ever sees the field as a started w/out Eason going down in game 1 two years ago. that transfer makes more sense....but to then sign Fields on top of that...knowing he wasn't going to RS?

makes no sense.

anyway, i think what you're going to see is these QB's taking a hard look at the roster, and projected depth charts, and how RS's are being used. and teams are going to have to start finding guys they can develop as RS's if they want to have 3 QB's on the roster.

Jalen Hurts is proving to be the excepiton....and even he transferred when it was all said and done.

So you want to start two true freshmen on the oline, one of whom won't be on campus till the summer, and you expect the oline to perform better in 2019 than it did in 2018?
not sure if it's a matter of want to at this point....if they're not starting, they'll definitley be in the two deep. but it's out of necessity still.

but your point is correct. that's not ideal, no matter the rating.

not sure if it's a matter of want to at this point....if they're not starting, they'll definitley be in the two deep. but it's out of necessity still.

but your point is correct. that's not ideal, no matter the rating.

When's the last time that you can recall a freshman offensive linemen who started their freshmen year because of their skill rather than necessity due to injury? I honestly can't think of any in recent history.

Reactions: jakez4ut
When's the last time that you can recall a freshman offensive linemen who started their freshmen year because of their skill rather than necessity due to injury? I honestly can't think of any in recent history.
trey smith. but if im being honest, it was a little of both. but he was that good. and we desperately needed him to be.
but several others like Chance Hall and jack jones, total necessity....they were both good as freshmen. but both of them could have used a year or two before having to be that heavily relied upon.

Easy. He loves Tennessee, and we offered more money. I think GA dodged a bullet with fields transferring. He didn't get what he wanted so he found an excuse and bailed. Not exactly the type of team leader you'd want in a QB imo. Fromm seems like a genuinely nice kid that really cares about his team.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back