Roman Harper predicts Tennessee's record..........

I certainly agree with TNVOL!... "Let's beat Pitt first".
And then I thought, whoa, Roman must have just got take out from McDonald's or taken a bunch of gummies or maybe I just am an orange bass and fell for click bait.
And then I thought how much I'd like to see us start the season at 4-0 and go down to Baton Rouge and play fast and furious

No way we beat UGA but lose to LSU. I still say 8-4 maybe even 7-5
Anything less than 8 wins would be disappointing.

8 is what I'm expecting but believe if the chips fall just right, 9...even 10 wins is not out of question.

We're just still not quite there for me to see a win over Bammer or UGA yet.

LSU is a winnable game but will be a very tough game on the road.

UF, UK, Pitt are all games I feel we "should" win but are all certainly games we could lose.

The rest should be wins.

8-9 is about right.

Some of ya'll are setting yourselves up to be let down. I think too many people believe player growth is linear and anyone coming back will magically be better. That's not how this works. Given how well our QB played last year, regression is more likely than progression statistically. He may play better (better reads, more accurate, etc), but the odds of it showing up in the stat line are very low (especially his TD/INT ratio).

Our pass protection will be a problem. Our defense will likely be a problem. 10 wins is possible, don't get me wrong. But I'm afraid some may be seeing that as the expected outcome instead of the exceptional outcome.
Yep but we and several others do it every single season. Predictions are opinions and there's a saying about those. Still, I'd hope we'd be a little deeper and with an extra year in this system, a little bit better. Maybe we snag a close one or two we lost last year and can take another step. I'll be tickled with 8 regular season wins and a top 15 class that addresses our needs. Heaven help us if the wrong player or three gets injured tho.

Reactions: Vol8188
Interior line play will be deeper and better as long as they are healthy RG top 3 DL coach in the nation Eason, Bailey, Simmons, Thomas, Terry, Bumphus real good athletic bodies… corner will again be deeper Turnage Hadden Charles Williams Burrel with alot of safety star bodies as well Flowers JM McDonald Slaughter turentine Walker… both units are bigger stronger and more athletic than last year and again I’m not worried bout the caliber of work they are putting in because the team is bought in… OL returning 4/5 starters but get worse? Only lost 1 player who got meaningful snaps but worse? Qb protection calls will be better heup said hooker is in complete command great Qb play elevates the ppl around him… his TD to int ratio will still be very good maybe not as great but he will have much more yards and TDs than last year… again we won 3 games 2 seasons ago so I’d be happy with 9 this year and I expect us to compete and give ourself a chance to win all 12.

Garner is a great coach, but he doesn't get to play. Corner will be deeper, but we don't have anyone to match the other team's number 1 WR. Safety play may be better if someone can dethrone Tank at safety.

Yes, an offensive line that's returning 4/5 starters can get worse if the new starter is at the most important position. An offense can return 10/11 and regress if the 1 player is the QB. So we were really, really bad in pass protection and now we have the same guys minus an NFL player and we get to break in a new LT. I'm not convinced.

And I really don't see us having any realistic chance in the Bama and Georgia games.

Reactions: Coach_Z
Yep but we and several others do it every single season. Predictions are opinions and there's a saying about those. Still, I'd hope we'd be a little deeper and with an extra year in this system, a little bit better. Maybe we snag a close one or two we lost last year and can take another step. I'll be tickled with 8 regular season wins and a top 15 class that addresses our needs. Heaven help us if the wrong player or three gets injured tho.

Agreed.

Bama's gonna be really good this year. They return plenty of key players and picked up some nice pieces in the portal. The kid from GT will be a thousand-yard rusher and the two WRs that transferred in will probabbly be their top 2 receivers.
Bama is on a revenge tour this year. They have the best offensive player and defensive player in the country . If they play UGA again, they will smoke them.

The one thing - and it’s the same every year - is if UT can avoid key injuries. This team has little depth so overcome many injuries. With no significant injuries they can win 9- maybe even 10. But realistically, 7-8 is most likely. Heavy injuries and they could maybe win only 6.
A lot of those teams you guys have penciled in as wins (UK, USC, Pitt, LSU, UF) are gonna very difficult games. Especially with our D. A few turnovers and those games can easily be lost.
That said, let’s go win em all!

I think it’s crucial we come out of September 4-0.

A loss at Pitt would be demoralizing, but a win against Florida is essential for success this year and moving forward. Pitt lost Pickett to the NFL and their top WR to USC, so I feel really good about our chances there.

Losing at home to UF with a first-year head coach just bodes ill. If not now, then when will we have a better advantage over the Gators?

Go 4-0, get to the Bye week unscathed, and prepare for a battle in the Bayou.

This is what I'm talking about in regards to setting ourselves up for failure.

4-0 and even 5-0 are all possible. I fully agreed. But we call it "crucial" it seems like we are setting ourselves up to be let down. 3-1 and even 3-2 aren't bad starts. 5-0 or 4-1 would be amazing, but we need to keep things in perspective and realistic.

The one thing - and it’s the same every year - is if UT can avoid key injuries. This team has little depth so overcome many injuries. With no significant injuries they can win 9- maybe even 10. But realistically, 7-8 is most likely. Heavy injuries and they could maybe win only 6.
A lot of those teams you guys have penciled in as wins (UK, USC, Pitt, LSU, UF) are gonna very difficult games. Especially with our D. A few turnovers and those games can easily be lost.
That said, let’s go win em all!

Agreed. We can't afford injuries in the front 7, at center, offensive tackle, or running back.

Honestly I am more "optimistic" about a Bama win at home than an UGA win on the road. Both are likely losses.

LSU is just too much of an enigma to make a prediction though it is a tough place to play.

PS- Harper has some bias against UGA.
LSU game needs to be played at 11am central time while the CAJUNS are all hungover.

This team going 8-4 would be a huge let down and would indicate that Josh is not the right coach.

Some of ya'll are setting yourselves up to be let down. I think too many people believe player growth is linear and anyone coming back will magically be better. That's not how this works. Given how well our QB played last year, regression is more likely than progression statistically. He may play better (better reads, more accurate, etc), but the odds of it showing up in the stat line are very low (especially his TD/INT ratio).

Our pass protection will be a problem. Our defense will likely be a problem. 10 wins is possible, don't get me wrong. But I'm afraid some may be seeing that as the expected outcome instead of the exceptional outcome.

Reactions: Vol8188
Anything less than 8 wins would be disappointing.

8 is what I'm expecting but believe if the chips fall just right, 9...even 10 wins is not out of question.

We're just still not quite there for me to see a win over Bammer or UGA yet.

LSU is a winnable game but will be a very tough game on the road.

UF, UK, Pitt are all games I feel we "should" win but are all certainly games we could lose.

The rest should be wins.

8-9 is about right.

And if they fall wrong 6-7 is possible.

Depending on injuries, luck (tip balls, fumbles, etc) we could be anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2. But I think it's basically on a bell curve with 8 being the median, 7 and 9 being equally likely to each other but less likely than 8, and 6 or 10 wins being possible but even less likely.

This is the nonsense I was talking about.
I love that the staff is turning it around so quickly. We're really a year ahead of schedule, considering last year's performance.

I hate that fans lose sight of how far ahead we are and adjust their expectations like we've not been seriously overachieving.

Reactions: Bret178 and Vol8188
I love that the staff is turning it around so quickly. We're really a year ahead of schedule, considering last year's performance.

I hate that fans lose sight of how far ahead we are and adjust their expectations like we've not been seriously overachieving.

100% agreed. I didn't expect us to be anywhere near competitive last year and I didn't expect this type of recruiting class either. It's also sounding like the 22 class may have been underrated given the early reports on West, Sampson, Webb, White, etc.

I'm not trying to be negative at all. Just realistic. Otherwise we are going to win 9 and have a bunch crazy people pretending we underachieved.

VN Store

Back