Hmm, weird… FRUSTRATION POST

Best UT game I ever attended was UT vs Texas AM Cotton Bowl. 2005. I had a blast. How the heck is that a bad bowl?? Would you prefer the Music City?

It’s not that the Cotton Bowl is a bad draw. It’s about the criteria that committee outlines when making their ranking isn’t being followed. We should be in the Sugar or Orange Bowl before we should be in the Cotton.

And I’m done with hearing about the loss to South Carolina. The blowouts that we had should more than make up for the loss. Hell, the very next week we blow out Vandy by 56. To use this one loss, as bad as it was, as some trump card over all the other categories we beat out Bama for is bush league and everyone knows it.

Last edited:
The committee is so biased toward Alabama it’s not even funny. One minute they’re saying margin of victory doesn’t matter then the next they’re saying that Bama is ranked ahead of us because they lost by less points in their two losses than we did. And now because Ohio State wants to be petty we’re stuck playing in a sorry excuse for a NY6 bowl (cotton).
just like politics,hypocritical

Haven't I read this post 40x already .....

images

Reactions: vettefool
Reasons Bama is ranked higher than UT :

Reactions: volbound1700
Refraining from the topic...we were seriously bent over. Turns out you can beat Bama and they still win.
They win bc we lost. If we win, we win. We could afford one loss but two. We gave them the committee the decision to be made , ranking two 10-2 sec teams apart. They set up rules for their ranking but what seperates a computer from human selection is, the committee as a group decided Or majority ruled that Alabama is the better team right now and if Alabama and Tennessee played tomorrow alabama would win.
I don’t disagree that Alabama would be a favorite I’d like to think tennessee would win but if you put a gun to my head I’d have to say Alabama is the better team right now.

Reactions: Clayton

I don’t usually agree with fans of the gamecocks about a whole lot, but you pegged this one.
Folks around here don’t seem to grasp the magnitude of getting 63 hung on your ass by a team typically having a tough go of things (but getting better - no offense man) in a manner the likes of which haven’t been seen since 1903.

Reactions: Vanhalo
Let's go bowling, let's go bowling.
No more staying at home;
Sitting in misery and alone.
Wherever the game's location might be.
As a participant, not watching others on TV.
After years of our irrelevant shock;
To no longer be a laughingstock.
It's so good to be back again.
Reign in the whining and crying.

Best UT game I ever attended was UT vs Texas AM Cotton Bowl. 2005. I had a blast. How the heck is that a bad bowl?? Would you prefer the Music City?
We watched that game from a bar in London, England. Yes, it was a good one! :cool:

you and several others on this board keep saying this over & over & over & over & over & over &over & over. That is NOT the main reason why they ranked bama ahead of us. If your eyes are soo full of tears over that loss that you can’t see the favoritism, then there’s no hope for you all.

Again, using their own criteria, Tenn should be ahead of bama.
Yawn. Yeah... it has nothing to do with the embarrassing blowout to a not-very-good USCe. That can't be it at all. It has to be some conspiracy.

Reactions: SkHokie
We beat LSU by 27 at their place - yet LSU was ranked at number 5 and folks were saying they could get in with 2 losses until the loss to Texas A&M. We lost to SC by 25 at their place. OSU lost by 22 at OSU and are still at 5 and may make it into the playoffs. Yes - the defense was bad in that game and a lot of points were scored - but we scored 52 against Bama! So if "number of points" scored against the defense is a criterion - well it should be used for ALL teams and ALL games.

I don't get why some of you are so quick to put the team you "supposedly" support down with criteria that could be used just as easily against other teams but wasn't.

The committee needs to state what criteria is or isn't used and stick to that. And the criteria should be consistently used. It's not. If it was consistently used, OSU would have dropped below both Bama and TN as that is the typical drop for such a loss. And if part of it is the injury to Hooker, then if UM were to lose given the injury to their star, they should then be out of consideration.

Bama and the media pleaded Bama's case and the committee reacted to that just like the committee reacted to the media pleading LSU's case overlooking their really bad loss.

The truth is OSU, Bama and TN probably don't belong in the playoffs - the latter two because they have 2 losses and OSU because they were embarrassed on their own home field.

I think the committee ranked them first (by number of losses) and second (by media perception and name brand).

Reactions: -GiveHim6-

Then we should add 52 reasons why we should be ranked over Bama then to the dozen or so other reasons.

It is not a bad bowl. Especially with the Jerry Dome.

But, we would be playing a school with less brand...UCF or Tulane. And, the weather is cold. The game is indoors, but the buildup, pep rally, etc is in cold weather.

After much thought, Ive decided let’s take that 11th win in the cotton bowl and know these corrupt jackwagons on the committee will be ousted from relevancy in the near future.

UT has traveling fanbase power, long history. If they get screwed out of the Orange Bowl by OSU then they need to revolt and take their fans to Florida. The bowl games will be crap anyway since the majority of pro prospects will not play. May as well have good weather!

Maxim #2 can be applied to the whole season. This team failed that on Nov. 19. This board constantly rags Ohio State and Notre Dame for losing on the big stage with a big opportunity, yet want a pass for when Tennessee did the exact same thing. It all goes back to controlling what you can control, and the team didn't do that.

Nothing I have seen concerning the criteria says that injury to a top player is part of the consideration process. That is a human factor overruling the very criteria the committee adopted. Yes, Tennessee was sleepwalking in the SC game, but using the criteria the committee supposedly uses, Tennessee still should be ranked ahead of Alabama. (1) Championships won, (2) Strength of schedule, (3) Head to head competition, if it occurred, (4) Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory). That last one clearly says the margin of victory over common opponents is not a part of the process. In plain English, they use the very thing they were not supposed to use to place Alabama above Tennessee.

Nothing I have seen concerning the criteria says that injury to a top player is part of the consideration process. That is a human factor overruling the very criteria the committee adopted. Yes, Tennessee was sleepwalking in the SC game, but using the criteria the committee supposedly uses, Tennessee still should be ranked ahead of Alabama. (1) Championships won, (2) Strength of schedule, (3) Head to head competition, if it occurred, (4) Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory). That last one clearly says the margin of victory over common opponents is not a part of the process. In plain English, they use the very thing they were not supposed to use to place Alabama above Tennessee.
CFP Selection Committee Protocol

Click on "Principles" and it is right there.

VN Store

Back