How are we still so delusional?

Frosty

How can this fan base still be so delusional to believe that we should be winning the SEC East this year? We all knew coming in that this would be a gap year, yet mid season because of how well Heupel has had this team playing, we expected to finish 10-2 in the toughest division in all of CFB, with a roster still dealing with fallout from the Pruitt era.

We are recruiting better than ever, have the top QB waiting in the wings, and still a damn good coach. Heupel didn’t fumble 3 times yesterday, he didn’t throw a pick 6. Injuries have decimated our thin defense, and even still we have had a top group that after a murderers row of opponents have just been thinned out.

I get it, we are all ready for success after these past 20 years, especially being so close to Georgia, Alabama, etc. but firing Heupel or blowing up the team because of a bad loss is asinine. This team is well on its way back to the top, but have some perspective and don’t let the year Heupel and Hooker carried us to last year fog that.

I'm with the team win or lose! I don't put my heart into this anymore since I'm older. Looking forward to the Nico era, much as I had high hopes for Joe, he still plays with uncertainty & doubt in his confidence. Body language and penalties has been killing us. Hendon & the last group of receivers were just special. Not a knock on Joe and the current receiving Corp but I think QB composure and leadership is a must in this system. As for defense, I'm still trying to figure out why do our LB and secondary still plays out of position and have bad angles. Tennessee was always known to have great defenses but the past decade I've been disappointed for the most part. We've come a long ways with Heupel.

How can this fan base still be so delusional to believe that we should be winning the SEC East this year? We all knew coming in that this would be a gap year, yet mid season because of how well Heupel has had this team playing, we expected to finish 10-2 in the toughest division in all of CFB, with a roster still dealing with fallout from the Pruitt era.

We are recruiting better than ever, have the top QB waiting in the wings, and still a damn good coach. Heupel didn’t fumble 3 times yesterday, he didn’t throw a pick 6. Injuries have decimated our thin defense, and even still we have had a top group that after a murderers row of opponents have just been thinned out.

I get it, we are all ready for success after these past 20 years, especially being so close to Georgia, Alabama, etc. but firing Heupel or blowing up the team because of a bad loss is asinine. This team is well on its way back to the top, but have some perspective and don’t let the year Heupel and Hooker carried us to last year fog that.
True, Heupel didn’t fumble three times or throw a pick six. You know what else he didn’t do? Make any adjustments.

Simply put- we should not look as bad as we did last night. Period. It's beyond the loss. It's the way we lost. Same thing against FL and SC. It's now something that's becoming a pattern.
I don’t see any fight with the team the lay down real easy, we’ve known this since Florida game.. they’re just soft and that what concerns me with CJH teams.

True, Heupel didn’t fumble three times or throw a pick six. You know what else he didn’t do? Make any adjustments.
Do adjustments need made if the issue is the players are executing perfect just get outplayed physically??? Our line got whooped on both sides of the ball..no schemes will overcome getting man handled

This^^^

I don’t see any fight with the team the lay down real easy, we’ve known this since Florida game.. they’re just soft and that what concerns me with CJH teams.
There was no lay down. The team kept fighting. Early in the 4th we would’ve been in range to make it a 1 score game and we got a phantom hold that killed another drive. Defense kept bowing up, but eventually they broke.

Did you honestly see us losing to UF and getting absolutely dismantled by Missouri this year? Did you see that coming? I know I didn’t. I thought 9-3 was a safe bet. After yesterday’s game, 8-4 is the best we can do. Gap year or not, that’s a disappointing season. Remember, zheupel git a big raise. With bigger money come higher expectations.

There is a difference between gap year and getting run off the field against a bad Florida team and a good Mizzu team.

You guys have to put last season in the rear view mirror and look ahead. What does next year look like? Another 8 or 9 wins? Then your gap "year" turns into "years".

With the experience on this roster, it isn’t delusional to expect to be competitive against 2nd and mid tier SEC teams on the road. Florida and Missouri dominated us much like South Carolina did last year.

Next year with a much younger roster we are at Arkansas, at Georgia, at Oklahoma and at Vandy. We can’t expect to beat either Georgia or OU on road. Will Arkansas be our embarrassing road loss next year? Possible.

I hate that his teams aren’t physical and are soft, he’s gonna hafta harden up his teams or he’s not gonna survive the SEC.
I don't think that's accurate. Tennessee's offensive scheme is predicated on being physical, and running the ball, we just need better players.

.... and we have to be able to play with more discipline. We are way too heavily penalized.

Did you honestly see us losing to UF and getting absolutely dismantled by Missouri this year? Did you see that coming? I know I didn’t. I thought 9-3 was a safe bet. After yesterday’s game, 8-4 is the best we can do. Gap year or not, that’s a disappointing season. Remember, zheupel git a big raise. With bigger money come higher expectations.
Your unrealistic expectations aside.
I had us as a 4 loss team including a loss to Florida.
We switch A&M with Mizzou and we’re right where I thought we’d be. I didn’t expect Milton to be this bad so were probably ahead of where we actually should be this year.

There was no lay down. The team kept fighting. Early in the 4th we would’ve been in range to make it a 1 score game and we got a phantom hold that killed another drive. Defense kept bowing up, but eventually they broke.
Only fighter I saw out there was Elijah Simmons

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I don't think that's accurate. Tennessee's offensive scheme is predicated on being physical, and running the ball, we just need better players.

.... and we have to be able to play with more discipline. We are way too heavily penalized.
Basically agree with you
We don’t have the right guy on the field calling the defense.
We are constantly misaligned.

Missouri is going 10-2 and it still took a game with everything that could go wrong, going wrong, for them to win. Florida on the road sucked, but this isn’t a perfect team right now. 9-3 to 8-4 as a gap year with the circumstances is damn admirable

Missouri is going 10-2 and it still took a game with everything that could go wrong, going wrong, for them to win. Florida on the road sucked, but this isn’t a perfect team right now. 9-3 to 8-4 as a gap year with the circumstances is damn admirable
I respect your opinion. I respectfully disagree. But I think good things are on the horizon.

UT isn't firing JH. Not this year, next year, or the one after. UT isn't that stupid.

If UT does fire him, they are stupid enough to have the next Pruitt or D Dooley waiting in the wings. Think about that.
I agree with everything except the part in bold.

Reactions: OllVol
While I agree bigger money mean bigher expectations....but going from 5-7 6-6 season for 15 years to 8 plus wins in his first 3 years is pretty significant improvement.if we are in year 8 of JH and this is still the best then yes you have a different conversation..I'll take 8-4 in a gap year where we lost NFL receivers, a QB, and OT

VN Store

Back