How many SEC teams make the 12 team playoff? Which ones?

Everybody is just gonna beat everybody up so I think any conference getting more than 3 is going to be VERY rare.

3 each for SEC and B10
4 for the other champions via the rules
Leaves 2 spots open

ND will "usually" grab one of those spots when at all possible in the committees eyes. Then promptly lose in the first game each time

Leaves one So next highest rated non champion from the B12 or ACC.

Reactions: GleasonVol
It's reasonable to have at least 6 make it, if you use the final 2023 top polls. 6 SEC teams are in the top 12.

I went back to late November and first week of December and some teams flip flopped, but the AP had 6 SEC or would be SEC (Texas/OK) teams consistently ranked in the top 12.

If all conference champions have automatic bids, that's obviously one automatic for the SEC. It's reasonable that outside of the conference champs getting in, the field is made up of mostly SEC teams......

Someone please explain the playoff format. Do conference champs have automatic bids?

Last edited:
Someone please explain the playoff format. Do conference champs have automatic bids?
From what @TNRazor posted, yes.
If I remember right it's the 6 highest ranked conference champs and then the 6 highest ranked remaining. So I'll go with 4. The SEC champ and 3 at large.
I'd like it more if it were just the 4 highest rated conference champs.

OU and texas aren’t going to be anywhere near the playoffs.

Big difference in facing 8-9 top 40 teams instead of 1-2.

They literally faced 1-2 top 40 teams (in terms of talent) in the B12. Every SEC team (sans Vandy) has top 40 talent.

Reactions: bpalmer28
OU and texas aren’t going to be anywhere near the playoffs.

Big difference in facing 8-9 top 40 teams instead of 1-2.

They literally faced 1-2 top 40 teams (in terms of talent) in the B12. Every SEC team (sans Vandy) has top 40 talent.
Yeah, they're going to have to put on their big boy pants as they're no longer in Kansas as Dorothy says.

I would bet 3. Only 6-7 at large bids and the expanded Big 10 will be competitive for those spots.
How many SEC teams make the 12 team playoff? Which ones?

4-5?

I think anywhere between 3 and 4. Hard part is there are going to be a lot of good teams with multiple losses that they would not have had we not expanded. I’m not sure that will the case with the Big 10. I can see 2 from the Big 12, 3 or 4 from the SEC, 4 from the Big 10, 2 from the ACC and one or none perhaps from another conference depending on whether or not someone above drops a game and no one else picks up one. Not sure if any of the midmajor teams have schedules that will get them in if they win.

So far from Volnation we have a very precise number, somewhere between 3 and17. Sounds about normal.

Georgia, Texas, and someone else.

I think both of the teams that go to Atlanta will make it. I am predicting Georgia vs. Texas in Atlanta

After those 2, it comes down to Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Missouri, LSU, and Oklahoma. Any of those 6 could take that last spot. I just don't know which of those 6 will look good once season hits. Usually there is a team that no one expects that makes a run (Missouri this year; Tennessee last year).

Maybe none. Now that Bama has closed shop, why is SEC not getting out of football?

Let's just become a basketball conference!

Really I expect 4 teams to make it, but not Bama. Ga, LSU, Miss. and UT (on the fence about Tx)

Maybe none. Now that Bama has closed shop, why is SEC not getting out of football?

Let's just become a basketball conference!

Really I expect 4 teams to make it, but not Bama. Ga, LSU, Miss. and UT (on the fence about Tx)
Bama is the question mark this year. They lost a lot of talent to the NFL, and the portal. Plus, they 'll have a new staff and system to break in. I would like to see them struggle this year.

I think you are going to have 4 max. Willing to bet the committee gets SEC fatigue towards the end of the season and drops someone even if they win, like they did with FSU.

Both teams that make the Championship game should make it, now that we are dropping divisions. and then you have at least one more in the Top 10. and then a school who should have been 12 will get dropped for a lower rated conference champ.

I will be interested to see if it remains 6 conference champs, with only a "Power 4" now, you will have two "at large" conference champs. and some years that will be a really bad team sneaking in.

Reactions: bpalmer28
So is the winner of the Washington State vs Oregon State game considered the Pac12 champion this coming season?

VN Store

Back