The Death of Sports Illustrated

I have a few commemorative issues. 98 Vols, Braves World Series with Chipper and co, and a few others. Haven't read it in years unless I found an issue at the dentist or doctor's office.

My daddy had a subscription when I was a kid. Loved when they would come in. Wish we had kept them all. Sad day in sports history

E$PN is devouring all things sports. No, they didn't force SI to use AI, but operational pressures did. Pressures put on by E$PN.

At some point, E$PN will get hit by anti-trust laws. So will Amazon.

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it appears the mighty Sports Illustrated is dead. Employees were told today that everyone would be laid off. Evidently SI was bought and the owner licensed it to a second party to produce content and publish. The second party defaulted on payment so the owner revoked the license. Lots of great memories of the Vols in SI in the past.

GOW WOKE GO BROKE!!😂😂

Nothing like this on ESPN

sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issues.jpg

If that changes, I'll have a great reason to buy a bigger tv!

My other thought... please don't shut SI down before they put bama and their new coach on the cover

My family subscribed to it when I was a kid in the 80's. I remember checking the mail box for it when I would come home from school on Wednesdays. I loved the glossy pictures .... and the swimsuit issues. Kathy Ireland, especially.

I still have the Peerless Price, Peyton Manning and Pat Summitt covers from the 90's, and the commemorative 1998 Championship edition. I even have the claymation one with Peyton wrestling a Gator. It does mark the end of an era. Kinda sad.

Kathy Ireland is the GOAT of the Swimsuit issues..........and I'll fight any man who says different

My family subscribed to it when I was a kid in the 80's. I remember checking the mail box for it when I would come home from school on Wednesdays. I loved the glossy pictures .... and the swimsuit issues. Kathy Ireland, especially.

I still have the Peerless Price, Peyton Manning and Pat Summitt covers from the 90's, and the commemorative 1998 Championship edition. I even have the claymation one with Peyton wrestling a Gator. It does mark the end of an era. Kinda sad.
Yes, but do you have the Tony Robinson SI? When they sent a photographer to Knoxville for a Bo Jackson shoot that got destroyed by the 1985 SugarVols.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
Yes, but do you have the Tony Robinson SI? When they sent a photographer to Knoxville for a Bo Jackson shoot that got destroyed by the 1985 SugarVols.
I used to .... but that was too many moves ago. LOL. I do remember the "Tennessee Waltz" headline ....

I bet if you asked 100 avid Tennessee fans who the last UT athlete was to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated (while still at UT), you would get less than 10 who would say "Antonio Wardlow."

Reactions: onevol74 and 67Vol
I saved a SI magazine one edition where they predicted how the top 25 college football teams would finish. Auburn didn't even make their top 25 list, but won the NC that year.

I grew up reading SI. At the time it was the best source for sports information.

I saved a SI magazine one edition where they predicted how the top 25 college football teams would finish. Auburn didn't even make their top 25 list, but won the NC that year.
That's nothing ....

In the 1991 Major League Baseball preview edition of Sports Illustrated, Peter Gammons picked the Minnesota Twins to finish last in the American League West and the Atlanta Braves to finish last in the National League West. They ended up playing each other in the World Series that year.

Last edited:
I have a few commemorative issues. 98 Vols, Braves World Series with Chipper and co, and a few others. Haven't read it in years unless I found an issue at the dentist or doctor's office.
I have the national championship commemorative issue signed by John Ward under lock and key somewhere in my stuff, and I’m sure there is a picture of posted somewhere in one of these threads from back in the day. He was, ironically, making an appearance at the gas company in Rogersville. When I presented him with the magazine to sign, the guy behind me said “well you can bet that’s going on eBay”, and John waived his hand dismissively and said he didn’t care what I did with it. I also had my oldest daughter with me in line, who had no idea who John Ward was, with an identical copy to have signed. And that was the very purpose I had her there with that one, was to sell it on eBay. Which I did, about 10 years later.

Reactions: SAPPER 5 and Sos
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it appears the mighty Sports Illustrated is dead. Employees were told today that everyone would be laid off. Evidently SI was bought and the owner licensed it to a second party to produce content and publish. The second party defaulted on payment so the owner revoked the license. Lots of great memories of the Vols in SI in the past.

Finally gave away too many football phones.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
That's nothing ....

In the 1991 Major League Baseball preview addition of Sports Illustrated, Peter Gammons picked the Minnesota Twins to finish last in the American League West and the Atlanta Braves to finish last in the National League West. They ended up playing each other in the World Series that year.
To be fair, both were last the year prior. I still have the paper showing Olson jumping into Smoltz’s arms when the Braves clinched. I think that was Smoltz. I haven’t gotten it out in quite some time.

I knew you were alright. Oh man, Necessary Roughness.

VN Store

Back