2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Carr is going to be a stud next year. I predict he starts averaging around 20ppg during the second half of the season. I think we need a solid 3 and 4 transfer
I agree he is likely a starter next season, but that 20ppg average is doubtful. Hopefully we have a team with more balance scoring.

Aidoo has gotten better every year he been at Tennessee. Does have consistency problems, but the way Barnes develops. He will be better next year
Inconsistent is inconsistent. Going back to ON and Plavi, you just never could depend on them from one game to another. We said the same thing about JJJ and Vescovi this year. Same thing. Up and down. There one game and gone the next. Sorry, but a tiger doesn't change his stripes. Aidoo might be a bit thicker/stronger, but he is who and what he is at this point. Depending on him is a huge risk and IMO, it's fools gold. We'll be having these same discussions at the end of next season assuming he's still here. You either roll the dice on Estrella being the answer or you grab a physical big man from the portal. No way I hang my hat on Aidoo....again, assuming he's on the roster. Personally, my money says he leaves. Hope Barnes is planning for this. You get a chance at a kid like Vlad and you jump at it if he fits the culture.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Inconsistent is inconsistent. Going back to ON and Plavi, you just never could depend on them from one game to another. We said the same thing about JJJ and Vescovi this year. Same thing. Up and down. There one game and gone the next. Sorry, but a tiger doesn't change his stripes. Aidoo might be a bit thicker/stronger, but he is who and what he is at this point. Depending on him is a huge risk and IMO, it's fools gold. We'll be having these same discussions at the end of next season assuming he's still here. You either roll the dice on Estrella being the answer or you grab a physical big man from the portal. No way I hang my hat on Aidoo....again, assuming he's on the roster. Personally, my money says he leaves. Hope Barnes is planning for this. You get a chance at a kid like Vlad and you jump at it if he fits the culture.
I was pretty impressed with Goldin when I watched him this year. Big, fairly athletic and has some good moves around the basket. I know Memphis couldn’t handle him. Of course that’s not saying much considering they couldn’t stop a dripping faucet. Forget I said that.

Intersting that we've contacted Frankie Collins, hmmm (if this as already posted, sorry)
My guess is he's fishing for a sweeter NIL deal. Still, I can't imagine how Barnes could pull that off with ZZ returning for his last rodeo. Just can't wrap my head around that.

My guess is he's fishing for a sweeter NIL deal. Still, I can't imagine how Barnes could pull that off with ZZ returning for his last rodeo. Just can't wrap my head around that.

Didn't make much sense to me either.

BUT he did play primarily at the 2 for Arizona St, I believe

I was pretty impressed with Goldin when I watched him this year. Big, fairly athletic and has some good moves around the basket. I know Memphis couldn’t handle him. Of course that’s not saying much considering they couldn’t stop a dripping faucet. Forget I said that.
I think I'd still take my chances with him. Hey, if Aidoo has competition, so much the better. If he turtles up, turn to Vlad and Estrella. We put all our eggs in certain baskets this year and it cost us. Know Vescovi and JJJ are fan favorites, but you can't ignore the cost of their disappearing acts. Aidoo seems to be cut from the same cloth. I'm not saying run him off, but I sure as heck would not depend on him next season. I'd have a plan B and if he does stick and ball out, so much the better. Having Vlad, Aidoo, Awaka and Estrella is a nice problem to have. If I'm being honest, I'd trade Aidoo for Vlad straight up. Vlad, Awaka and Estrella works for me.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
BUT he did play primarily at the 2 for Arizona St, I believe
Not the worst idea. Gives you flexibility if ZZ gets injured or he's a superb option when ZZ needs a rest. Having two guys that capable available and both being rested come tournament time sounds awfully nice....to us fans. Doubt the kids would be as enthusiastic about it.

Not the worst idea. Gives you flexibility if ZZ gets injured or he's a superb option when ZZ needs a rest. Having two guys that capable available and both being rested come tournament time sounds awfully nice....to us fans. Doubt the kids would be as enthusiastic about it.

I just don't think he will do that well at the 2 with his height, but who knows.

You're right about him not coming here to play behind ZZ at PG. Just odd, imo, but after last year, I trust them

I think I'd still take my chances with him. Hey, if Aidoo has competition, so much the better. If he turtles up, turn to Vlad and Estrella. We put all our eggs in certain baskets this year and it cost us. Know Vescovi and JJJ are fan favorites, but you can't ignore the cost of their disappearing acts. Aidoo seems to be cut from the same cloth. I'm not saying run him off, but I sure as heck would not depend on him next season. I'd have a plan B and if he does stick and ball out, so much the better. Having Vlad, Aidoo, Awaka and Estrella is a nice problem to have. If I'm being honest, I'd trade Aidoo for Vlad straight up. Vlad, Awaka and Estrella works for me.
JJJ came through in the NCAAT, and he wasn’t the reason we lost to Purdue. He was clutch. He shouldn’t be lumped with anyone else. We won the regular season title and went to the EE with him as a major contributor.

I know you and a couple of others (myself included) have been very vocal about us needing to get backup point guard behind ZZ for the past two off seasons. Well we are now to Ziegler’s senior year and off-season number 3 and we still currently don’t have a set in stone backup point guard. Zeigler almost played 40 minutes in every NCAAT game and we all know that’s not sustainable. If Freddie and Boswell can do it next year then awesome, but man I’m not too confident once Zeigler is gone where we are going with the PG position. I’m not sure if either one of those guys are a true PG like ZZ to take over after he is gone.

Ideally we have a set in stone second option behind ZZ this upcoming year. That way we have someone that can be the starting point guard in 2025-2026.

I think finding a PG in the portal/determining if our current guys can do it is priority number 1 this off-season.
Yeah, I think we'll see another season of trying to decide if there is an in-house option in Dilione or Boswell, and if not, a portal PG in 2025 is a necessity, and we are an attractive option to a transfer.

Reactions: b_gann and Willy14
JJJ came through in the NCAAT, and he wasn’t the reason we lost to Purdue. He was clutch. He shouldn’t be lumped with anyone else. We won the regular season title and went to the EE with him as a major contributor.
But you can't ignore what transpired prior. Can't assume wins, but if he shows up in a couple of losses, we might have grabbed the 1 seed out West and avoided Purdue.

But you can't ignore what transpired prior. Can't assume wins, but if he shows up in a couple of losses, we might have grabbed the 1 seed out West and avoided Purdue.
Guys are going to have some up and down games. When Knecht scored 2 points against NC State, JJJ had 23 points and was 5-7 from 3. He wasn’t a first option this year.

Against UK in the last game of the regular season, he had 8 points and 10 rebounds (5 offensive) and was 2/6 from 3. He contributed. At UK, he scored 26 points.

Bottom line is JJJ was important to this team to win the regular season title and get to the EE. He had clutch moments at UK, at Bama, against Texas and Creighton in the NCAAT. This team was always going to lose some games and without him at UK and at Bama, we may not have been a 2 seed. After this last week, JJJ showed a lot to me, and I just don’t get the criticism anymore.

Hysier Miller PG from Temple. Book it

We need a high volume shooter ,a PG, and can play 2 years I think. Nasty

Hysier Miller PG from Temple. Book it

We need a high volume shooter ,a PG, and can play 2 years I think. Nasty
Good assist and rebound numbers but he is NOT a good volume shooter. His field goal percentage in 3 years averages out to be about 35% from the field and only about 31-32% from 3. Those numbers won’t cut it.

I don't think anyone foresaw such a precipitous fall in his shooting percentage. Gainey led all of D1 in 3-pt shooting % in his freshman year for USC-Upstate at a 49.3% clip. He took a big step back towards the norm as a sophomore with a significant increase in attempts, bit still shot a respectable 34.5%. No one saw that number dipping down to 28.7% at Tennessee. That's a skill that typically translates across levels of competition. He's just been in a major funk, like Santi, for much of the season. Unlike Tyreke Key before him, he's at least a threat to drive to the basket, so he can find other ways to contribute, but his strength...the reason he was brought in...has been more than neutralized. Hard to have seen that coming if we are being fair. As a coach's kid, I don't think it was for lack of work ethic and effort in the gym.

My guess is that his shooting improves after another off season of work and getting a little stronger, and with more consistent playing time next season. With DK gone, I could see more actions in the game plan to free him up for open looks.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
This may be a hot take but I really only think we need maybe 1 starting caliber portal player. I think I would rather just promote from within per se. Dillione and Carr get more minutes, Mashack and Awaka starts and then we still have Gainey plus a portal player coming off the bench. Idk, after the initial hurt of the loss, looking toward next year I feel like we can still be in that 2-3 seed conversation.

Reactions: berryvol
I don’t think we should be happy to let Aidoo go when all of the elite bigs that he struggled with are graduating (Dickinson, Bacot, Edey). Clingan is like the only one left

Not sure we can get in the mix but I like his stats and we have DK to thank and may give us an advantage. We will need a little more offense to replace DK.

Cade Tyson full list of teams is as follows: Kansas, Oregon, Florida, Auburn, Texas, Indiana, Wisconsin, Colorado, Miami, Penn State, Butler, NC State, UCF and Ole Miss.

At 6-foot-7, Tyson can play at the guard and forward spots, shooting extremely efficiently throughout his career with a 49.2% field goal percentage and a 44.6% 3-point percentage. That is the third-best percentage from beyond the arc in Division I this season.

This past season he started in all 30 games for Belmont, increasing his production with 16.2 points, 1.6 assists, and a team-leading 4.8 rebounds per game. He was named Second-Team All-MVC following the season after posting 24 double-digit scoring games and nine games with 20 or more points.

JJJ was starting to heat up in the 1st half, then we went away from him.

Reactions: berryvol
Who knows, maybe Carr is the best answer to replace Knecht. A transfer to match
Knecht may not be out there. Knecht almost got us there, but maybe our needs
are greater than replacing him (strong post player)

No one is ever going to "replace" DK, and quite frankly that shouldn't even be the goal. Lack of balanced scoring was a major flaw in this UT team, and the optimum fix is to have 4-5 players we can look to for scoring on any given night.

ZZ, maybe Gainey, and Carr, and find a couple more in the portal. Maybe Aidoo takes a step forward if he's here. Lots of possibilities, but looking for that one 'guy' is bound to end up in disappointment. DK was a shooting star (pun intended) - were not likely to see his kind again anytime soon, if ever.

Aidoo has gotten better every year he been at Tennessee. Does have consistency problems, but the way Barnes develops. He will be better next year
He needs to improve his strength as well as his mental approach to playing the game. I doubt he will ever be the beast that many of the 7foot plus players who weight in the 250-270 range, but a different mental approach would improve his ability to not get pushed around the court, could improve his ability to just dunk the ball, and maintain control of the basketball inside the paint. He has athletic ability, just needs to be more aggressive and draw fouls instead of trying to hit 2 foot jumpers. He also needs to learn how to use the board to improve his accuracy. Potential is there if he wants to get more aggressive.

VN Store

Back