Dilione to the portal

Santi coming back and playing awful really hurt his development. Would have liked for Rick to be forced to play him so hopefully he could learn and develop throughout the year. Frustrating to see all these 4 or 5 stars come in and not even get an opportunity to fail in games, but I get it.
What 5 stars didn’t get their opportunity?

He looked nervous and scared to make a mistake, like most players who play for Rick Barnes. He will pull you for your first error unless you’re a starting guy - and even then (@Jonas Aidoo).
You mean the players who have won over 25 games in 5 of the last 7 years? Your take is laughable. "Most players who play for Rick Barnes"?????? Making it up as you go

He looked nervous and scared to make a mistake, like most players who play for Rick Barnes. He will pull you for your first error unless you’re a starting guy - and even then (@Jonas Aidoo).
Y’all just dig and dig for reasons don’t you? I’m old enough to remember the “Barnes has worn/broken Knecht down” talking point.
I also didn’t realize Aidoo made his first error last Sunday. Quite an impressive run he had.

Last edited:
What 5 stars didn’t get their opportunity?
Guess I should have said promising prospects. Thought he was a 5 star, but was wrong about that. Same deal though. We get excited when they commit and then we don't get to see them play meaningful minutes before they end up transferring. Was bummed that a guy like B.J. Edwards didn't get an opportunity last year once Z went down to play some and then maybe be in a position to help us by the time the tournament started. Feel like some of these guys need some actual meaningful game minutes to properly develop. I like Rick and feel like the portal is the future with him, just wish we had more home run freshmen like some of the other schools that are able to contribute meaningful minutes.

Guess I should have said promising prospects. Thought he was a 5 star, but was wrong about that. Same deal though. We get excited when they commit and then we don't get to see them play meaningful minutes before they end up transferring. Was bummed that a guy like B.J. Edwards didn't get an opportunity last year once Z went down to play some and then maybe be in a position to help us by the time the tournament started. Feel like some of these guys need some actual meaningful game minutes to properly develop. I like Rick and feel like the portal is the future with him, just wish we had more home run freshmen like some of the other schools that are able to contribute meaningful minutes.
You mean like Johnson and Springer? JJJ?

Heard he was an All-American in practice however could not translate that to the court. Was hoping the he would stick it out. Hope is not a plan. Guess he did not like his meeting with Barnes.

Unfortunately - he will figure it out somewhere else.

rick honestly never let him play free, if he made one mistake he was getting pulled.
Yes in these situations its always the coaches fault. Coach has a system and practice is when you learn to play and fit in. If this is reality hope he finds a place he can play for a TEAM.

Heard he was an All-American in practice however could not translate that to the court. Was hoping the he would stick it out. Hope is not a plan. Guess he did not like his meeting with Barnes.

Unfortunately - he will figure it out somewhere else.
The Jarrett Guarantano of basketball

I don't doubt it is hard to learn Barnes defense and to get into that kind of shape. Takes a special kind of player.

Edit; Machack is a great example of a player who started out meh. He has become of the greatest defensive players in college. Look forward to him being a starter next year.

This sucks. Most on here seem happy to see him go (odd), but I was really excited to see what type of impact he could have next season with so many minutes opening up at guard.

I think people have been a bit too hard on him and his development. He sat behind a ton of upperclassmen with 3-5 years of experience. It didn’t surprise me he couldn’t break the rotation here.

Hate to see him go.

Not too surprised, don’t think he ever truly got the defense. Maybe it was injuries but every time I saw him in the floor he looked slow and lost defensively. Still think he could be good but maybe elsewhere is better for him to get there.
Yep, team defense was his downfall in terms of playing time.

This sucks. Most on here seem happy to see him go (odd), but I was really excited to see what type of impact he could have next season with so many minutes opening up at guard.

I think people have been a bit too hard on him and his development. He sat behind a ton of upperclassmen with 3-5 years of experience. It didn’t surprise me he couldn’t break the rotation here.

Hate to see him go.
Me too. I think he could have provided a missing element in offense, but the defense was a problem.

I believe the stacking of our veteran talent kept him from being on the floor more. Was excited to see him develop. Not that there's anything we can do about it, but it just is what it is. Think he'll be one that we wish we had back. Don't really think he was in Barnes' dog house...just think you couldn't look at our veteran rotation and make sense of him getting more PT for what he was showing.

On the other hand, think senior departures and now this departure and only one HS signee means we can be pretty aggressive in the portal, and there's some really good talent out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
You mean like Johnson and Springer? JJJ?
Yeah I liked watching those guys play. Unfortunately, they had to carry the load. We were in a position these past two years where we were stacked with talent and just saying it would have been nice to be able to get a guy like Diliione or Edwards minutes throughout the year and see if they can be solid contributors by end of the year. Not blaming Rick or complaining about anything Tennessee did. I just get excited for these guys and haven't really seen any freshmen be able to contribute since Chandler.

VN Store

Back