Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

At that point the posters who talk about money lined up better be right because it will come down to buying people. No elite player is going to entrust their future (they may not evem with money) to someone with such a thin resume.

This part! The top recruits in the 25,26, and 27 classes won't know her. We even had some freshman and 8th graders on campus already... It's not a knock on the Marshall coach to say she hasn't recruited at this level and will need people on her staff who have and know AAU and other top coaches to help her get in the door with some of these kids...

If CKSC is the new HC at Tennessee congratulations to her.

Don't know if AD DW so what if he didn't get the one of the big time coaches everyone wanted.

CKSC will do one of 2 things if she is hired.

1. Make us all look silly by doubting her ability to coach a Power 4 school
2. Fall flat in her face

I'm hoping for #1 option, although some of you silently are hoping for #2 option.
You know who you are..
IF….. IF she is hired, DW will not let her fail. She will be given ALL the resources needed to bring the LV name back to prominence. Her failure would be his failure and he won’t allow that to happen.

I don’t know if it’s KCS, but if it is, I like her resume better than Kellie’s at the time. KCS is on an upward trajectory. Kellie was a retread who’d already been fired for failing at NC state. She was hired because she played for Pat. If KCS is hired, it’s because one of the best ADs in America has done his homework and decided that she’s a great option to lead the program.

I’ll always go back to that continuing with Kellie wasn’t going to get us where we want to go. Maybe KC or whoever DW hires won’t get us there either, but it would have been insanity to continue down the road we were on.
Right. You don’t kick the can down the road knowing that letting her go is inevitable. You keep trying to get the right coach in place and you do it as soon as you know the current one isn’t going to get you there.

And dribbling Powell threw up 2 clunker free throws w a 2 pointvlead
Even with those FT misses, they still had the game all but won. All Tennessee had to do was not give SC an easy inbound pass, an uncontested 3 point shot, or (God forbid) both and they would have won. Instead, it's like Kellie wanted to see whether or not SC could defy the odds and took away all of the obstacles in the way.

This part! The top recruits in the 25,26, and 27 classes won't know her. We even had some freshman and 8th graders on campus already... It's not a knock on the Marshall coach to say she hasn't recruited at this level and will need people on her staff who have and know AAU and other top coaches to help her get in the door with some of these kids...
Thats the other challenge. Getting reputable assistants to hitch their wagon to her horse. She has a near impossible task.

We are all hoping for the 'big splash' hire...whether or not that happens remains to be seen. But whoever it is, it will be an upgrade in at least these areas:
Recruiting
Game flow / substitutions / timeouts
Offensive sets
Box outs
Mental toughness
I don't care where the new coach comes from as long as they've been successful. Success breeds success and I'm sorry to say neither Kellie nor Holly had much prior success as HC. I think Caldwell or Fortier could have that type of success here if they get top notch recruiters and assistants with a much expanded NIL opportunity.
Agree. I would add: knowing what to do with a spare 1.1 seconds on time clock. That in itself is a W.

Reactions: Amb3096
That is where your wrong. Fans don't buy in they don't buy tickets and they don't attend plus tell Schiano they have don't have a say.
I was wrong; you're right about Schiano's case. The pushback (and much of it on suspected moral grounds, of which, unlike coaching, we all have experience) negated the hire.

But that's also an example where the fans' (lack of) buy-in denied any possibility for that coach to have success here, before buying tickets was an option.

It's a hackneyed comparison, but still accurate: the relationship between a coach and the fanbase is like a marriage. Some fans want a trophy wife (big name coach) who will boost our reputation in public (regardless of how she acts in private), others want a sturdy farm wife who's productive in the win column, even if she isn't the prettiest girl at the dance. And some most value a wife who's a good mother, raising kids into responsible adults. (ADs think all these ways regarding their coaching hires, with the added issue that ADs are polygamous--their "wives" have to also get along with and support each other in the same house!)

Most of us would love to have all three in one coach. And that's why we (who are now the old timers) got spoiled having Pat as the coach who established this program. But many forget that she grew into that ideal, and most of her growth was before there was a spotlight on her or the program. She got to make her coaching mistakes when there were few witnesses. That's a blessing no Tennessee coach will ever again enjoy.

I'm admittedly guilty of presuming Danny White will not make such an obvious blunder as courting a Schiano, mostly because DW has been very attentive to the atmosphere, the culture, and the undergirding values of what he has built inside the UTAD. Danny may have only made one major hire, but everything else he's done inside the building, and the relationships he's established with other leaders at the university, he owns.

That's where his reputation has been established so far. I cannot imagine him violating or destroying what he's built around him with a hire he created the need for.

Reactions: VolNExile
We are all hoping for the 'big splash' hire...whether or not that happens remains to be seen. But whoever it is, it will be an upgrade in at least these areas:
Recruiting
Game flow / substitutions / timeouts
Offensive sets
Box outs
Mental toughness
I don't care where the new coach comes from as long as they've been successful. Success breeds success and I'm sorry to say neither Kellie nor Holly had much prior success as HC. I think Caldwell or Fortier could have that type of success here if they get top notch recruiters and assistants with a much expanded NIL opportunity.
And help from fan base and donors who will
Get behind whoever is hired. A house divided
Will not stand.

IF….. IF she is hired, DW will not let her fail. She will be given ALL the resources needed to bring the LV name back to prominence. Her failure would be his failure and he won’t allow that to happen.
So, white did not use his omnipotent power to ensure Kellie’s success? Maybe he should have fired himself then?

Last edited:
So, white did not use his omnipotent power to help Kellie? Maybe he should have fired himself then?
The rumor is that he tried and was refused for Kellie, but would get it with another coach. So we'll see if that was true when someone takes over next week. We should win the portal if new coach has financial backing.

VN Store

Back