So, when is the press conference?

Deer in headlights? I didn't detect that at all. It did appear to be a hastily thrown together presser replete with product placements .... but that's not her fault.
Yeah, I thought both had the wide-eyed look at time. In Kim's case, I thought it was very appropriate and genuine, who wouldn't be a bit overwhelmed. But as I said in my post, I thought she also had directness and confidence that was impressive. In other words, a real person.

Yeah, no worries, but her steals and assists to turnover ratio was actually amazing in second half of season, she was a quick learner. She is going to be a hard one to guard next season, let’s leave it at that.
Tessa Johnson will be better than Fulwiley when all is done in their careers at South Carolina.

I understand that you're Fulwiley's agent but please. She is good but not great.

Again, I think for most people it has nothing to do with Kim. It’s not personal, it’s the mourning of a program that was GREAT and that we expected an AD (heralded as one of the best) to make a move that would restore the program to greatness by hiring a proven, winner. A BIG fish. He didn’t, and for all the great things he has done for UT, this hire did not scream “I want to make the Lady Vols relevant again.”
Was CJH a big fish? Seems to worked out pretty well so far. It's not illegal to try some positivity.

But nothing official? If Sam is gone they've got to get a recruiting coordinator going NOW. And that's assuming it will be someone with zero SEC contacts starting from scratch. Good Lord, what a huge challenge this all is.
SEC? Could probably get Goldwire 🤭

Imo she needs a big 12/acc type recruiting coordinator

I would recommend EVERYONE go watch the first half of Marshall vs VT!

Marshall had complete control of the game vs VT just the efficiency and size wasn’t there. They attacked the glass pressures VT made Vt speed up. Just couldn’t knock down shots.

It’s awesome really. They have heart. Not hard to watch at all

Was CJH a big fish? Seems to worked out pretty well so far. It's not illegal to try some positivity.
The consensus opinion in the football forum was that Heupel was likely just a placeholder until we had moved on from the NCAA investigation and coming sanctions from the Pruitt tenure. Very few posters were happy with Heupel, including me.

The consensus opinion in the football forum was that Heupel was likely just a placeholder until we had moved on from the NCAA investigation and coming sanctions from the Pruitt tenure. Very few posters were happy with Heupel, including me.
I was willing to give him a shot. I mean, no way it could have been worse.

You did the same thing he just did. You didn't call Danny White an idiot .... but @alexvol didn't call him an idol of his either.

It is a gamble, and we don't have anything to go on, except that White does have a nice track record with such things. For what it's worth, I hated the hiring of Josh Heupel at the time it was made. It seemed like White had made a lazy hire of someone he already worked with. Things seem to be working out, however.
Yes idol was hyperbole but it is clear that Alex is a fan of Danny White. You should find turbovols post on White's overall hiring record which is actually quite mixed, He has, so far, won with Heupel (and Oates) and lost with others. It really is the roll the dice model where he wins some and loses some. I hope he wins here but this hire is probably his biggest gamble to date (and that is just not my opinion but the national narrative that is emerging around this surprise hire). (Corrected on edit)

Last edited:
I would recommend EVERYONE go watch the first half of Marshall vs VT!

Marshall had complete control of the game vs VT just the efficiency and size wasn’t there. They attacked the glass pressures VT made Vt speed up. Just couldn’t knock down shots.

It’s awesome really. They have heart. Not hard to watch at all
I love this quote from brooks after the game:
They want the game with fouls and turnovers,” Virginia Tech coach Kenny Brooks said. “It’s their chaos, and we wanted to be poised. I thought we won out on that, and I think that’s why we were able to come out with a great win. I’m so proud of these kids and what they did. I just want to go back in there (the locker room) and give them a hug.”

Reactions: VolFuture
.... and Leipold.

Sure, it's a gamble, but a calculated one. Caldwell's contract is constructed in such a way as to make a change in course relatively easy.
Yeah but the fallout if the huge gamble fails is not just White or Caldwell. They'll be fine. It's the program that will suffer. It's teetering on the brink of total irrelevance (except the history) and this hire had to be right. Can't afford another few years of being "consistently underwhelming", as Harper's program was called. That's what makes this gamble so scary.

Seemed like this year's bunch pressed pretty well in several games but just when it was working Coach Harper took it off, never could figure that. If you are going to press I believe you have to stay committed to it. You do need some athletes but that is doable. Most kids hate playing against good pressure because it makes them a nervous wreck. Just believe that if we commit to it and teach it well that it can and will work. Hope it does and does it well because it is so much fun to watch.
The worst thing a traditional team can do with a press is stay in it too long, til the other team figures out how to break it, because then it will yield easy buckets. I'm betting that's why CKH didn't stay in it too long--plus, she didn't have a lot of make-up speed on the court to recover on defense.

I think most coaches at higher levels use the press as a disruptor, similar to when a man-to-man team switches to zone for a few possessions, before going back to their normal defense. It just creates doubt, forces the PG to assess things before initiating the offense, forcing them deeper into the shot clock, etc.

I've seen coaches use the press when a key backcourt player has gone to the bench, to force the coach to put that player back in and hope to have them tired and less effective by end of the game. And of course, they're usually good for when you need some turnovers and a 4-8 point swing to get a game back under control.

But teams that press often will have a number of presses in their bag, switching between them, making it difficult for teams to break it consistently, and disguising which passing lanes are safe or not. Maybe the greatest asset for a team that presses constantly is that it forces opponents to spend most of their prep time working on recognizing and breaking those presses, instead of working on their own offense and defense. In that way, it can increase the effectiveness of your half-court game by diminishing theirs before gameday.

Last edited:
Yeah but the fallout if the huge gamble fails is not just White or Caldwell. They'll be fine. It's the program that will suffer. It's teetering on the brink of total irrelevance (except the history) and this hire had to be right. Can't afford another few years of being "consistently 't ", as Harper's program was called. That's what makes this gamble so scary.

Just an honest question here. So you believe the LV program would have advanced past 'consistently underwhelming' if Kellie had stayed, with Rickea and Key leaving and no idea who she could have picked up in the portal?

I don't see that happening and don't disagree the change is a gamble but that seems to be how DW does his coaching changes. If you have the balls to do that with the FB program you have some big ones. He made a bold statement at the press conference yesterday about he expects winning now. He doesn't see it as a gamble apparently.

I would like to see all this settle down and everyone get on board with the new coach. If you dislike DW or the change it doesn't matter. You have no choice if you want to stay a LV BB supporter but to move on.

The worst thing a traditional team can do with a press is stay in it too long, til the other team figures out how to break it, because then it will yield easy buckets. I'm betting that's why CKH didn't stay in it too long--plus, she didn't have a lot of make-up speed on the court to recover on defense.

I think most coaches at higher levels use the press as a disruptor, similar to when a man-to-man team switches to zone for a few possessions, before going back to their normal defense. It just creates doubt, forces the PG to assess things before initiating the offense, forcing them deeper into the shot clock, etc.

I've seen coaches use the press when a key backcourt player has gone to the bench, to force the coach to put that player back in and hope to have them tired and less effective by end of the game. And of course, they're usually good for when you need some turnovers and a 4-8 point swing to get a game back under control.

But teams that press often will have a number of presses in their bag, switching between them, making it difficult for teams to break it consistently, and disguising which passing lanes are safe or not. Maybe the greatest asset for a team that presses constantly is that it forces opponents to spend most of their prep time working on recognizing and breaking those presses, instead of working on their own offense and defense. In that way, it can increase the effectiveness of your half-court game by diminishing theirs before gameday.
Great post.

Just an honest question here. So you believe the LV program would have advanced past 'consistently underwhelming' if Kellie had stayed, with Rickea and Key leaving and no idea who she could have picked up in the portal?

I don't see that happening and don't disagree the change is a gamble but that seems to be how DW does his coaching changes. If you have the balls to do that with the FB program you have some big ones. He made a bold statement at the press conference yesterday about he expects winning now. He doesn't see it as a gamble apparently.

I would like to see all this settle down and everyone get on board with the new coach. If you dislike DW or the change it doesn't matter. You have no choice if you want to stay a LV BB supporter but to move on.
No, it's clear to me now that Kellie was too branded as a loser in dramatic fashion and had to go. What I didn't get is not building up on the foundation that existed by hiring a proven winner coach or even a promising up and comer w D1 experience and recruiting connections. It now appears to me that wasn't an option. Apparently none in those categories were interested. Also, I think DW genuinely enjoys the big gamble, so not so sure how hard he tried with the mids.

I agree the comment about winning now was balls probably way too big. Unneccessary extra pressure on the gamble.

And big lol on your advice to get on board and settle with the coach to remain a supporter. Irony lives on!

But for the record, I found her very impressive yesterday and though I'm filled with 1000 dreads, absolutely wish her and the program well.

Yeah but the fallout if the huge gamble fails is not just White or Caldwell. They'll be fine. It's the program that will suffer. It's teetering on the brink of total irrelevance (except the history) and this hire had to be right. Can't afford another few years of being "consistently underwhelming", as Harper's program was called. That's what makes this gamble so scary.
Some of you overdo the drama just a bit ..... They have still never missed an NCAA Tournament, and the attendance for Lady Vol games is still in the top 5 in the country. They are not "teetering on the brink of total irrelevance." That is drama queen bs.

Was disappointed that the Marshall/VT highlights didn't show much of the press. Like most "highlights," it just focused on scoring by both teams. That means it mostly showed Amoore weaving through the traps like they were vapor or long passes for easy layups. I was hoping to see some turnovers converted to easy buckets, but most of the game looked like more conventional half-court defense. The press didn't seem to bother Tech much.

Marshall does get credit for fighting back and closing the game-opening deep gap before Tech finally lowered the boom and left them in the dust.

We also couldn't see how the platooning worked due to the editing. We used to call that style of running in a unit with fresh legs "Rat Patrol" back in the yonders.

Last edited:
No, it's clear to me now that Kellie was too branded as a loser in dramatic fashion and had to go. What I didn't get is not building up on the foundation that existed by hiring a proven winner coach or even a promising up and comer w D1 experience and recruiting connections. It now appears to me that wasn't an option. Apparently none in those categories were interested. Also, I think DW genuinely enjoys the big gamble, so not so sure how hard he tried with the mids.

I agree the comment about winning now was balls probably way too big. Unneccessary extra pressure on the gamble.

And big lol on your advice to get on board and settle with the coach to remain a supporter. Irony lives on!

But for the record, I found her very impressive yesterday and though I'm filled with 1000 dreads, absolutely wish her and the program well.

A contrarian would say that White was saying what he had to say under the circumstances. Couldn't exactly say, "We thought we'd get a big name coach with a track record of success at the highest level and a pipeline to the top high school talent. Instead, we had to settle for a great person who has coached one season at the D1 level and plays a high-risk brand of basketball which may or not match our returning roster. And who has no experience recruiting at this level.". Much better to tout this as the direction he wanted to go all along...even if that places unfair expectations upon Kim.

I like and trust Kim a whole lot better than I do White.

VN Store

Back