So, when is the press conference?

Or have they had it, and we just missed it? Also, isn't her husband an assistant on the Marshall mens team?

I would be more than shocked if DW would get back into the Kellie-Jon coaching situation again. Maybe Barnes can find something for him to do if he wants to be a coach at TN.

In the fast-moving sports world, the Calipari story this week may have eclipsed the Caldwell hiring.
It is kinda funny that the Calipari stuff came out the day of the Championship game. Cal has to be in the news. He is talking to Arkansas because they like him. He needs that. He probaly can't stand it that Kentucky fans have turned on him.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Never ever mentioned as a problem except from the posters here. I am sure that situation was taken care of when the job was offered one way or the other.
I agree. I only said I would be shocked if DW went that way again. Never implied he said anything.

It may not change the way anyone feels about the hire, but from the interview I just watched, Lady Vol fans will like Kim Caldwell's personality. She comes across as vivacious and very sure of herself ..... a stark contrast to Kellie Harper.
You may be right about KH not being sure of herself. That was the impression I was getting toward the end. She just seemed to carry the weight of the world on her shoulders. An AD that didn’t hire her, the lackluster results, the outlook for next season without RJ. It seemed she was almost in tears after the last second loss to SC. I understand that emotion but you just can’t appear that way as a leader. That’s probably how the entire year would have been next season and DW knew a change was needed. KH is a wonderful lady she’ll land on her feet.

Last edited:
It may not change the way anyone feels about the hire, but from the interview I just watched, Lady Vol fans will like Kim Caldwell's personality. She comes across as vivacious and very sure of herself ..... a stark contrast to Kellie Harper.

đź‘€

We can focus on being optimistic toward Kim and enthused by her energy, and that's a positive outlook.

I'd hope that we can refrain from rehashing negative impressions of Kellie at this time. We hear every extreme from "Kellie is so stubborn and won't change" to "Kellie is unsure of herself." We've seen a lot of coaches have different reactions after disappointing outcomes: lashing out at the media, tantrums toward players, resigned acceptance, steely resolve, calm, tears, anger, profanity, you name it.

We don't know why Kellie was so emotional after the SC game. Could be a variety of reasons. And we do know that she said that she spent a good part of that night and next morning replaying the ending of the game.

But we also know that Kellie recounted the only time she saw Pat Summitt cry. Kellie said she came out of the locker room after a tough loss (probably the one that stopped the fourpeat) and saw Pat standing by herself in a hallway where she thought no one could see her. And Kellie said that Pat wasn't crying for herself but for her players.

That, coupled with what Kellie said at the presser about how badly she wanted that win for her players, is one possible explanation for the tears.

She certainly didn't sound unsure of herself on Vol Calls two nights later.

As for the second round loss, she may have known that it was the final game she'd represent her beloved alma mater as head coach and that she would soon be parting with her players.

It is kinda funny that the Calipari stuff came out the day of the Championship game. Cal has to be in the news. He is talking to Arkansas because they like him. He needs that. He probaly can't stand it that Kentucky fans have turned on him.
I actually don’t think Cal wanted to go to Arkansas, and was trying to make UK try to keep him. He badly misplayed his hand. He lacks self awareness enough to do that.

Last edited:
If Kim's husband is valuable enough to be an assistant on the Marshall men's team and can be an asset to both Kim and the players at UT, them go for it. My only reservation would be the question of how well they work together and if the family dynamics allow them to accept the power structure. Easier when the spouses are co-hc, but that isn't a likely scenario at this time.

Maybe they plan to start a family soon and he's okay being Domestic Dad. Or maybe there's an available coaching job close to Knoxville.

VN Store

Back