Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

This may help. . . did you know Wake Forest is a religious affiliated school?

How about Duke?

There are a few on that list that may surprise people.

Interesting that you mentioned Wake Forest. I visited there before going to undergraduate school. It was started by the Baptist church, but in the 80’s, it gained more autonomy and essentially separated from the church. It still maintains a relationship with it, but it now makes decisions apart from the church.

I distinctly remember that the campus is slightly separated from the city of Winston-Salem. You arrive by going through a gate, and the campus is within a certain tract of land. They were finding that students were going off campus to party and driving back in. So, they decided to build a bar in their student union building so that students could just walk home. It was a cool little campus.

I don’t understand the point of the first question.

As about the statement about my feelings towards Christians, could not be farther from the truth. I do not make that assumption. I have no ill will towards Christians in their entirety. Where do you think I stated that all Christians are intolerant assholes? That’s just not true. I know many Christians that are some of the purest and most loving people I’ve ever met. I do not characterize an entire populous based on the label of their collective belief system. That’s actually what I’m standing up to.

My statement wasn’t about a specific belief system. It was about the action of intentionally spreading belief systems based on the premise that they are the good or correct others are bad. I can’t help it that many (not all) Christians have been taught they need to spread the all good word to others that aren’t yet believers in order to be “good Christians”. That’s my experience. That, I do have a problem with. That, I have not experienced from other religions. Maybe it’s just a function of the sample size, but I have not experienced that from other religions and I most certainly have from SOME (not all) Christians. I myself am Jewish, and I’ve never shouted it from the mountain tops or claimed it to be correct. I actually like it about it that their is so much questioning in it.

I hold Christianity to the same standard that I hold all belief systems to. It is admittedly a high one, and hard to meet. That said, I have not stood here and proclaimed my belief “system” to be right while others wrong. However, I will stand here and say that the action of publicly purporting of an entire belief system as good is wrong if it implicitly implies that others are not. If you want to discuss a belief about a specific action or topic, I’m all for it. But I’m not going to sit here and let the label of “good” or “[insert belief system here]” be touted just as I would not tolerate a republican characterize democrats as “[insert gross generalization here]” OR VICE VERSA. There is no correct at the broader level. Just like there is no incorrect.

Drew could have said the same thing as a Jew or Muslim or whatever and I would have reacted the same way. Dabo could be preaching Judaism or Buddhism or Muslim or whatever and I would still believe that practice to be wrong in that setting. I resent identity politics. I resent the “spread” of organized religion.

I’m sorry if it was conveyed through my post that Christianity is wrong or bad. Not the case. Just providing perspective from someone who is a minority and lives every day knowing it and weary of being judged, directly or indirectly, for it.
Christian here. Don't agree with everything you said, but I think you're being respectful and I like hearing your viewpoint. Personally, I feel like the best way I can share my beliefs is by being a good person first and then sharing when someone else is receptive after earning their trust. I've never felt that shouting from the rooftops, so to speak, was a productive way to open ears/minds/hearts...so I get some of what you're saying.

I don’t understand the point of the first question.

As about the statement about my feelings towards Christians, could not be farther from the truth. I do not make that assumption. I have no ill will towards Christians in their entirety. Where do you think I stated that all Christians are intolerant assholes? That’s just not true. I know many Christians that are some of the purest and most loving people I’ve ever met. I do not characterize an entire populous based on the label of their collective belief system. That’s actually what I’m standing up to.

My statement wasn’t about a specific belief system. It was about the action of intentionally spreading belief systems based on the premise that they are the good or correct others are bad. I can’t help it that many (not all) Christians have been taught they need to spread the all good word to others that aren’t yet believers in order to be “good Christians”. That’s my experience. That, I do have a problem with. That, I have not experienced from other religions. Maybe it’s just a function of the sample size, but I have not experienced that from other religions and I most certainly have from SOME (not all) Christians. I myself am Jewish, and I’ve never shouted it from the mountain tops or claimed it to be correct. I actually like it about it that their is so much questioning in it.

I hold Christianity to the same standard that I hold all belief systems to. It is admittedly a high one, and hard to meet. That said, I have not stood here and proclaimed my belief “system” to be right while others wrong. However, I will stand here and say that the action of publicly purporting of an entire belief system as good is wrong if it implicitly implies that others are not. If you want to discuss a belief about a specific action or topic, I’m all for it. But I’m not going to sit here and let the label of “good” or “[insert belief system here]” be touted just as I would not tolerate a republican characterize democrats as “[insert gross generalization here]” OR VICE VERSA. There is no correct at the broader level. Just like there is no incorrect.

Drew could have said the same thing as a Jew or Muslim or whatever and I would have reacted the same way. Dabo could be preaching Judaism or Buddhism or Muslim or whatever and I would still believe that practice to be wrong in that setting. I resent identity politics. I resent the “spread” of organized religion.

I’m sorry if it was conveyed through my post that Christianity is wrong or bad. Not the case. Just providing perspective from someone who is a minority and lives every day knowing it and weary of being judged, directly or indirectly, for it.
Here's the brass tacks. Everyone operates based on their moral standards. You just seem to have a problem with Christians doing so. If you ran a program, it would be based on yours, and whatever basis it is founded on. A coach states that he runs his program based on Christian ethics and morals, and you publicly decry it.

Specifically, what piece of Christian morals do you have an issue with guiding the program, and specifically what is it about Christianity that makes it a more dangerous guide for the program than an atheist/Jew/Buddhist/Muslim using their framework?

I mean, you just said that most people across America are Christians, yet you take issue with it being the basis of program ethics.

Oh boy…
Instead of ”oh boy-ing” and “yikes-ing” your way through debate, try addressing the points in context. You can start by explaining how anything stated is in disagreement with scripture. I don’t care about social constructs and feelings, so if that‘s your modus operandi, take it to the PF. You can float the Feelz River there for decades and still not see it all.

Reactions: Vol since 77
Christian here. Don't agree with everything you said, but I think you're being respectful and I like hearing your viewpoint. Personally, I feel like the best way I can share my beliefs is by being a good person first and then sharing when someone else is receptive after earning their trust. I've never felt that shouting from the rooftops, so to speak, was a productive way to open ears/minds/hearts...so I get some of what you're saying.
Not a fan of John the Baptist, I take it?

Like you said, trust (and respect) is earned, and you’ve got mine. I appreciate the thoughtful response instead of sarcastic dismissal. For that, you can share your beliefs with me any day and I promise I will both listen and not judge you for them, nor try to convince you otherwise of them.

Reactions: Lloyd_Christmas
Like you said, trust (and respect) is earned, and you’ve got mine. I appreciate the thoughtful response instead of sarcastic dismissal. For that, you can share your beliefs with me any day and I promise I will both listen and not judge you for them, nor try to convince you otherwise of them.
The problem with the logic in question here is that it assumes that the acceptance of the message is the primary motive of the one sharing it, and the primary reposnsibility of the one sharing it.

Also, again.., The irony here is that from what I can tell, this part of the conversation started with your public critique of a Christian's actions without having created the personal relationship/platform to have offered it. IOW, you are doing exactly what you criticize Christians for doing.

You cannot be a true follower of Christ and not offend others. Matthew 28 commands all Christians to fulfill the Great Commission, and you do that by telling others about the hope found in Christ and Christ alone. Irreligious people look for reasons to be offended because they’re arrogant and beholden to their religion—sin and dishonoring God.

This is not my opinion. It is found throughout the Bible. Paul was a highly religious Jew that murdered Christians. After being blinded on the road to Damascus, he eventually became arguably the greatest missionary during the early church age, perhaps to ever live. How many do you think he, Peter, James, Andrew and the other apostles offended? Enough for every apostle (sans John) to die as martyrs!
👆🏻as a believer and follower of Jesus Amen.🙏🏻

Reactions: Volunteer821
Not a fan of John the Baptist, I take it?
There's nearly two thousand years between John the Baptist and now. Different times and the audience is certainly different in a lot of ways as well. What worked best then might not work best now. Obviously I was speaking to what I personally think is best for modern times. It is possible to be Christian and forward-thinking.

It is a little surprising and disappointing to see several take my comments and decide to infer that I'm not a fan of John the Baptist, Jesus, and others.

Last edited:
Instead of ”oh boy-ing” and “yikes-ing” your way through debate, try addressing the points in context. You can start by explaining how anything stated is in disagreement with scripture. I don’t care about social constructs and feelings, so if that‘s your modus operandi, take it to the PF. You can float the Feelz River there for decades and still not see it all.
I’m not trying to “debate.” I have no interest in “my religion (belief system) is right and yours is wrong”. That’s exactly what I’ve been opposing.

I also would not argue how anything stated is in disagreement with scripture, because that would be pointless as I myself dont believe scripture to be the end all be all. So maybe even if I was interested in debating, that specific debate would be pointless if the premises/assumptions that support the point itself differ for us both and can not be respected. By way you’ve framed it, if what you want is to be right, I’d venture to say you probably are. I’m not that well versed in scripture after all. Happy?

If you want to circle back to the posts I oh boyed and yikesd, and hear my thoughts on them, I might be open to tmrw. I’m about tapped out today.

I don't completely disagree with you, as personal evangelism is a powerful mandate of every Christian's life. But to think it the only way is to assume that the power is in the method. Paul said that THE GOSPEL itself is the power of God unto salvation. Not the personal relationship of the person sharing it. Not the "goodness" of the one sharing it.

The great revivals in history, beginning in Acts 2, have been due to the public, relentless, courageous preaching of the gospel. "Shouting from the rooftops" that the audience are sinners before a personal, moral Creator God, resulting in some responding "What must I do to be saved"?

Stephen was stoned because he accosted a group of people with the gospel. There's no indication that he built a personal platform to do so. It's obvious he didn't soft-peddle it. Not one of them responded. Yet there is every indication that he was in God's will, and it was a success.

There's nearly two thousand years between John the Baptist and now. Different times and the audience is certainly different in a lot of ways as well. What worked best then might not work best now. Obviously I was speaking to what I personally think is best for modern times. It is possible to be Christian and forward-thinking.
I don't completely disagree with you, as personal evangelism is a powerful mandate of every Christian's life. But to think it the only way is to assume that the power is in the method. Paul said that THE GOSPEL itself is the power of God unto salvation. Not the personal relationship of the person sharing it. Not the "goodness" of the one sharing it.

The great revivals in history, beginning in Acts 2, have been due to the public, relentless, courageous preaching of the gospel. "Shouting from the rooftops" that the audience are sinners before a personal, moral Creator God, resulting in some responding "What must I do to be saved"?

Stephen was stoned because he accosted a group of people with the gospel. There's no indication that he built a personal platform to do so. It's obvious he didn't soft-peddle it. Not one of them responded. Yet there is every indication that he was in God's will, and it was a success.
You are assuming that the power is in the method, as opposed to the gospel, that the gospel's power is dependent on the audience/culture, and that acceptance of the gospel is proof of its success.

Romans 1:15That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome. 16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first to the Jew, then to the Greek. 17For the gospel reveals the righteousness of God that comes by faith from start to finish, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”…

See my last post. There's more context to my comments.

You are assuming that the power is in the method, as opposed to the gospel, that the gospel's power is dependent on the audience/culture, and that acceptance of the gospel is proof of its success.
No...you're just assuming that I think that. I think the method can make a difference...not that the method holds all the power. That's my personal view. There's no need in you wasting more time trying to set me straight.

It is a little surprising and disappointing to see several take my comments and decide to infer that I'm not a fan of John the Baptist, Jesus, and others.
Nor a fan of Solomon, it seems...
"There is nothing new under the sun."

Actually they technically killed him because they (the Pharisees) didn’t like how his teachings were starting to gain traction and thus becoming a check on their power.
John 5:18--Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

VN Store

Back