Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

In other words...you ok with it, as long as we shut up about it, despite the fact that the God we believe in commands usto witness.

I think that maybe I am reading you wrong, so I will give you benefit of the doubt.

I personally take every chance I can to talk about the Lord..BUT..I do not talk about him to people once they make it clear they do not and will not believe, and that they don't want to hear about it.

I rarely ever do what I'm doing right now and arguing about it to somebody that thinks my whole life is a dumb joke.

I have been there myself...I was agnostic at best back in my wild life...so I understand that only damage is done by pushing it on someone who doesn't want to hear it.

However..I will not be ashamed of him, I am often ashamed of myself, but I will not be ashamed of him or my belief in him.

Don't wanna argue and push you or anyone else even farther away..so I will leave it at this.
You hit the bolded part right on the head. Perfectly said and I think it describes all Christians with Godly sorrow and a penetant heart.

My first reply was more messing around with you than anything; but, with a shot of truth added to it...I have a feeling that John the Baptist would be calling out the vipers and preaching repentance moreso today than back then...and, at the same volume. Wouldn't you agree "the kingdom of heaven" is closer at hand today, than it was 2000 years ago? And, you're opposed to shouting the good news from the mountain tops??

Vipers then, vipers today. Sin then, sin today. That's where the wise words of Solomon come in...same today as it was then, we just have electricity now. Still the righteous and unrighteous, same as generations past...the audience hasn't changed a bit, and has nothing at all to do with "forward-thinking".

I could go on, but I'll leave it at this...right before ascension, the Lord left each one of us, his disciples, with this: "Go ye into ALL the world, and preach the gospel to EVERY creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned".

Keep in mind, SugarCC didn't say that, your Lord and master, Jesus Christ, did.
Amen.

I'm getting tired...I just want to make it home...the older I get, the more physical and emotional pain I live with, the more hurt of all kinds I feel..the more I long for home.

THE promise of John 3:16 is not this world.

1st Corinthians 2:9...that is the promise.

In other words...you ok with it, as long as we shut up about it, despite the fact that the God we believe in commands usto witness.

I think that maybe I am reading you wrong, so I will give you benefit of the doubt.

I personally take every chance I can to talk about the Lord..BUT..I do not talk about him to people once they make it clear they do not and will not believe, and that they don't want to hear about it.

I rarely ever do what I'm doing right now and arguing about it to somebody that thinks my whole life is a dumb joke.

I have been there myself...I was agnostic at best back in my wild life...so I understand that only damage is done by pushing it on someone who doesn't want to hear it.

However..I will not be ashamed of him, I am often ashamed of myself, but I will not be ashamed of him or my belief in him.

Don't wanna argue and push you or anyone else even farther away..so I will leave it at this.
Well said.

Not sure condescension is the appropriate word there. I don’t see myself as superior to more strictly religiously inclined peoples. I know many very religious people that I respect entirely. I just don’t agree with the evangelism, specifically I don’t appreciate the public proliferation of ideals that I would say are generally condescending themselves (as in they are good and right and other ways must be wrong and indecent). One can have morality without being religious or being of a certain religion. The message that they aren’t is a dangerous one I do not agree with or support. And it is rampant, though I know many Christians that don’t push their faith on others and I respect the heck out of them for it.
While I don't agree with the belief, I 100% understand the actions.

If a religious Muslim said they 100% believed that god wanted him to preach and convert others or else those others would risk losing their enternal soul to a dark, awful, and painful existence...I'd think they might be immoral not to proselytize and attempt to save others' souls.

Assuming an orthodox religious person isn't changing their mind and are steadfast in belief...I completely get why they feel compelled. It is only logically consistent for them and they truly believe (I try to take other religious people at their word when it comes to their faith) that they, amongst billions of people and thousands of denominations, religions, and interpretations of it all...think they know the one true understanding.

It is what it is. As long as they aren't violating laws or trying to make their personal religious interpretations into secular law. Proselytize to one's own desire...it is only consistent with their individual beliefs tbh

Last edited:
While I don't agree with the belief, I 100% understand the actions.

If a religious Muslim said they 100% believed that god wanted him to preach and convert others or else those others would risk losing their enternal soul to a dark, awful, and painful existence...I'd think they might be immoral not to proselytize and attempt to save others' souls.

Assuming an orthodox religious person isn't changing their mind and are steadfast in belief...I completely get why they feel compelled. It is only logically consistent for them and they truly believe (I try to take other religious people at their word when it comes to their faith) that they, and they alone amongst billions of people and thousands of denominations, religions, and interpretations of it all...think they know the one true understanding.

It is what it is. As long as they aren't violating laws or trying to make their personal religious interpretations into secular law. Proselytize to one's own desire...it is only consistent with their individual beliefs tbh
Good points, and well said.

Also, I find that many don't take the time to understand what it is they are taking issue with. The OP, for example, said that he takes issue with it, posted some assumptions, and then later admitted that he has little knowledge of Christian scriptures. This makes no sense to me.

For instance, despite the fact that every person on the planet will basically allow their moral beliefs to rule their lives, actions, job roles, etc... I asked what specifically makes Christianity a dangerous framework for someone to use?

Because at its core, Christianity's ethical core is to love God and to love others, even and especially your enemies. Love is defined as "work for their good, even at your own expense, with the vicarious death of Jesus as the ultimate example".

Specifically, what is dangerous about basing a program on that?

I suspect it's the "love God" part that scares non-christians. But the fear is based on an ignorance of Christian scripture. Paul wrote to the Corinthian church to get the sin out of their midst. There was someone is blatant, unrepentant sin, so Paul said, "Kick them out of the church until they repent. This is for the preservation of the church, and their own benefit, with the hope that the shock of it wakes them up and leads to Godly repentance and renewed fellowship.

But here's the thing. In the midst of that, he said basically, "Make no mistake. I'm not talking about unbelievers. We can't expect non-Christians to act like Christians, and we shouldn't try to enforce it. Our job is to preserve the morality of the church, not enforce it on the world.

My point is, there is not one verse that says, "Don't start an athlete because he's gay, or in a premarital sexual relationship, or Muslim, or atheist... There is not one verse that says to enforce your religion on others at work. Just the opposite.

So, it boils down to an ethic of: you love God and promote an atmosphere of selfless love and respect in the program.

The question is still hanging unanswered: What about that is dangerous?

shaq-shaquille-o-neal.gif

Reactions: knoxvol52
She looked sort of indifferent to me. BUT, if she was disappointed, I wouldn't blame her. Given the frequent and vicious putdowns of Memphis by middle and east Tennesseans, I'd want my kid to play somewhere else too.
I lived in Memphis for eight years so yes I know. Party town dangerous town.

She looked sort of indifferent to me. BUT, if she was disappointed, I wouldn't blame her. Given the frequent and vicious putdowns of Memphis by middle and east Tennesseans, I'd want my kid to play somewhere else too.
You really think that is why she would be disappointed?

I was thinking if anything it was another school offered more and something she really wanted.

What a weird thing for a Tennessee fan to say. So you'd rather your kid go somewhere else because people hate Memphis? Have you been to Memphis? It sucks.

I lived in Memphis for eight years so yes I know. Party town dangerous town.
I didn't say it wasn't dangerous. The topic is seceding Memphis to Arkansas, and the constant putting down the place. Thus, why the recruit's mother probably wasn't happy to see him choose the UT. With such innate hatred for his home, and we have seen it extend to Memphis players when they make a misstep, or even don't. She'd be right to be concerned about his safety in so-called faultless east Tennessee. He better be careful if his car breaks down along a winding roadside in east Tenn., especially at night. I don't blame the woman.

You really think that is why she would be disappointed?

I was thinking if anything it was another school offered more and something she really wanted.
You have your thoughts, I have my thoughts. Isn't that wonderful!!!??? Meanwhile, try looking at the first sentence of my post again.
==================================================================
Yesterday at 7:56 PM #372

They ain't wrong...didn't look happy at all.

What a weird thing for a Tennessee fan to say. So you'd rather your kid go somewhere else because people hate Memphis? Have you been to Memphis? It sucks.
Been there several times, mostly driving through. Got pulled over at night by an egoistical cop who followed me for several miles without, then flashed his lights and wanted to ticket me for refusing to pull over. That failed, as his own dashcam would show him to be a liar. Stopped at a restaurant there once, cop comes in, gets seated, insists he be relocated at a table opposite mine. Sits, pulls back his jacket, pats his gun, and makes a shooting gesture my way. Follows my car all the way back to my hotel. Had a driver in a spiffy car try to run me off the road repeatedly. Stopped only because the fifth time he angled into my lane, I angled into him, the cars scrapped, he sped off. Yes, it is a dangerous town, which is why I don't go down there anymore. But then, there are a lot of places I don't go to anymore, including Sioux Falls, South Dakota. But I don't badmouth them at nearly every opportunity.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
I didn't say it wasn't dangerous. The topic is seceding Memphis to Arkansas, and the constant putting down the place. Thus, why the recruit's mother probably wasn't happy to see him choose the UT. With such innate hatred for his home, and we have seen it extend to Memphis players when they make a misstep, or even don't. She'd be right to be concerned about his safety in so-called faultless east Tennessee. He better be careful if his car breaks down along a winding roadside in east Tenn., especially at night. I don't blame the woman.
we would help fix the car. or call a tow. heck most of us probably know how to work on cars, we have enough in our front yards.

Been there several times, mostly driving through. Got pulled over at night by an egoistical cop who followed me for several miles without, then flashed his lights and wanted to ticket me for refusing to pull over. That failed, as his own dashcam would show him to be a liar. Stopped at a restaurant there once, cop comes in, gets seated, insists he be relocated at a table opposite mine. Sits, pulls back his jacket, pats his gun, and makes a shooting gesture my way. Follows my car all the way back to my hotel. Had a driver in a spiffy car try to run me off the road repeatedly. Stopped only because the fifth time he angled into my lane, I angled into him, the cars scrapped, he sped off. Yes, it is a dangerous town, which is why I don't go down there anymore. But then, there are a lot of places I don't go to anymore, including Sioux Falls, South Dakota. But I don't badmouth them at nearly every opportunity.
IMG_6287.gif

we would help fix the car. or call a tow. heck most of us probably know how to work on cars, we have enough in our front yards.
I sincerely, even severely, doubt that if you didn't know he was a Vols player. Nothing you say can convince me otherwise.

VN Store

Back