2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I feel pretty good with JP and Okpara manning the 5 spot. Would have preferred Aidoo and JP doing it, but it is what it is with Jonas.

If we can land Igor we can get the size lineup we ran with Aidoo/Awaka on the floor at the same time last year, but with Igor being in the scoring role and able to stretch the floor further than Aidoo could.

I suspected that but for some of us old heads, it's hard to read that and get that he's headed to UT. That's what has me scratching my head.
Yeah Trilly should have just pointed out the date that was originally shared.

But we have a very good shot to land him. He knows the staff, we recruited him outta HS (his first offer according to 247), played with Carr in HS & the two are friends.

I saw Awaka make some tough contested buckets and don’t get the hate. I always thought it would be good to play a center and Awaka together.
Again, it's not hate. Not gonna beg the guy to stay either. He can't stay on the floor and he's the one that hit the portal. No one made him leave. Speaking for myself, I've kinda accepted that he's gone and I'm looking forward to seeing who we replace him with. Good luck to him.

Speaking more generally I guess, bring on Okpara. Kinda sick of Awaka not jumping in the boat and committing, and maybe Okpara will actually stay here next year.

I really liked Awaka as a player and he was one of my favorites for his relentless aggression and improvement at the FT line, but portal era is what it is

Reactions: Delmar
Speaking more generally I guess, bring on Okpara. Kinda sick of Awaka not jumping in the boat and committing, and maybe Okpara will actually stay here next year.

I really liked Awaka as a player and he was one of my favorites for his relentless aggression and improvement at the FT line, but portal era is what it is
Okpara prob stays put unless you try to replace him. (Obviously lol)

Him and JP will be nice together.

More worried about Cade

Reactions: NighthawkVol
So, assuming we do land Okapara

Dubar ✅
Okpara ✅

With 4 spots left to fill, right?

I guess the best possible close there would be Igor/Lanier/Tyson/HS Player

Could look something like:

ZZ/Boswell
Lanier/Gainey
Tyson/Mashack/Carr
Igor/Dubar/Phillips
Okpara/Estrella

That’s extremely stout. But it’s best case and probably doesn’t happen. That’s a lot of mouths to feed and make happy.

No I don’t think anyone is.
Don't know what Okapara stats are but Awaka is a 4.2/4.2 career guy and an undersized center. While folks are extending that out over a lot more minutes and fantasizing about what might be, I can't see counting on that. I'd roll the dice with a bigger and younger player like Okapara to pair with Estrella.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
So, assuming we do land Okapara

Dubar ✅
Okpara ✅

With 4 spots left to fill, right?

I guess the best possible close there would be Igor/Lanier/Tyson/HS Player

Could look something like:

ZZ/Boswell
Lanier/Gainey
Tyson/Mashack/Carr
Igor/Dubar/Phillips
Okpara/Estrella

That’s extremely stout. But it’s best case and probably doesn’t happen. That’s a lot of mouths to feed and make happy.
Honestly, I see Lanier and Igor as being our best bets. My hope is that Lanier can spell ZZ when needed. Can't imagine going to a true freshman as his backup. The other 2 spots will likely go to a couple of developmental guys I'd guess.

Honestly, I see Lanier and Igor as being our best bets. My hope is that Lanier can spell ZZ when needed. Can't imagine going to a true freshman as his backup. The other 2 spots will likely go to a couple of developmental guys I'd guess.
Of course he can spell ZZ. It’s only two letters.

PG: ZZ / Boswell
SG: Lanier / Gainey
SF: Transfer / Shack / Carr
PF: Igor / Dubar / Cade
C: Okpara / JP

Redshirt: Boswell

I’d try to get a younger CG or a 4 from the portal for the last spot.

Sean Stewart wouldn’t be a bad younger guy. Not sure if he would want guaranteed minutes or not, but he would definitely be in starter contention after Igor and Dubar leave

Don't know what Okapara stats are but Awaka is a 4.2/4.2 career guy and an undersized center. While folks are extending that out over a lot more minutes and fantasizing about what might be, I can't see counting on that. I'd roll the dice with a bigger and younger player like Okapara to pair with Estrella.
Awaka’s stats are better than Aidoo’s were after his 2nd year in our program. There’s also something to be said for continuity and keeping a core group of guys on your team who already know the system and understand the culture.

Kid was shooting 30%. What was he expecting? 35 min a game and that he'd be their #1 threat and leading scorer as a freshman? In this league? Sounds like a "me first" kinda kid. Also sounds like he expected his "dream" to magically start on day one and didn't want to wait or work for it. Yeah, Bruce is a salesman, but come on. That kid is all about himself.
Honest about what? Pearl recruited me with the idea I’d be a high volume shooter but as the season progressed there were other players on our team who proved to be more successful scorers which led to less minutes and fewer shots for me than I expected?
You'd both have great points if someone like KD Johnson didn't also get regular minutes for that team.

You'd both have great points if Auburn was flush with clearcut better options at guard, which they weren't.

You'd both have great points if I explicitly said, "No way that's true. Pearl had to have been lying to him.", which I didn't.

I presented it purely as a potential reality, even starting my post by saying, "You may be right...". Holloway wasn't efficient, at all. No argument from me. But it isn't like there were clear and obvious alternatives playing circles around him. And in the end, both things can be true; Holloway can be a ME player and Pearl can also not make good on some promises he made in recruiting. You're both making an incorrect assumption that I'm taking a side on the issue.

Awaka’s stats are better than Aidoo’s were after his 2nd year in our program. There’s also something to be said for continuity and keeping a core group of guys on your team who already know the system and understand the culture.
But again, no one pushed him into the portal. He chose to go in. Plus, he's seen Aidoo move on and yet he's still in said portal. Seem a moot point to me.

VN Store

Back