2024 Transfer Portal Thread

One thing going for the Vols is they developed knecht to be a more complete player, I'm sure Lanier thinks the same thing that he can be developed to be a first-round pick next year, advantage Vols over a new coach at Kentucky, all is good
Go Vols
I believe the Vols gave him the platform to show his offensive skills; but NBA Scout are saying defense is his weakness right now.

We will see if Lanier makes the correct business decision. Yeah, he can go to UK and probably get more NIL money for a year and play for an unproven coach who no one really knows... maybe after this year Lanier can find some success playing in the Turkish league overseas, or he can make less NIL money right now and play for Barnes who has developed numerous NR players and transfers such as Dalton Knecht

I want guys that want to play for the Orange and white. If he goes to UK, good luck! Thats a horrible decision but it is his choice

Reactions: Imvolin423
Not sure on this one. He might have even led the state in scoring this year at 30 ppg, but he just isn't really an SEC-level athlete, which is the case for most kids in Eastern KY. Good shooter who hit 43% from 3, but at 6-6, I just don't know who he guards in the SEC.

I was shocked when I heard he signed with USCe, and it would be interesting to know if he left that commitment voluntarily, or if he was told in no uncertain terms that his chances of playing time were not great.

Feels like the kind of kid that Paris took before he raised their profile with a successful season. USCe was his only SEC offer and Butler, Cal, Stanford, Seton Hall, and Dayton were his other noteworthy offers.

This kid isn't the second coming of Reed Sheppard by any stretch of the imagination. Not sure where he ends up, but I'd be pretty surprised if it were Tennessee, Kentucky, or Louisville. Feels like a stretch to think he could really play (and get meaningful minutes) at that level.
Looking like I may be eating my words on this one. I'd expect him to commit to UK anytime, now. Really surprising. I just don't see him making an impact there, but we'll see.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Looking like I may be eating my words on this one. I'd expect him to commit to UK anytime, now. Really surprising. I just don't see him making an impact there, but we'll see.
Not a terrible take for them.

Whole family went there, I believe. He may end up being one of the rare ones that stays all 4 years without transferring.

Could end up being a huge win

There’s been times during the Barnes years that we were bemoaning our lack of shooting. I recall several threads debating whether it’s better to recruit gifted shooters and teach them defense vs recruiting great defenders / athletes and teaching them to shoot. Based on your observations this guy is the first type - might be interesting to see how it works out?

I think Pope is likely a solid coach, but I’m curious to see what they look like, complete 180 from Cal. Will they have a preseason projected 1st round pick on the roster? 2nd round? Seems like a bunch of dudes that can shoot, which is what he had at BYU, but not sure athletically how the same stuff translates.

Some UK fans think they have a final four team if they land Jaxon Robinson. Meanwhile most polls don’t have them in the top 25.

Sometimes you just take a flyer hoping for massive physical improvement if you have a spot available. A new coach can gain great favor with an in state reach, especially if it works even a little. Still feeling some painful Lofton memories I bet.

Sometimes you just take a flyer hoping for massive physical improvement if you have a spot available. A new coach can gain great favor with an in state reach, especially if it works even a little. Still feeling some painful Lofton memories I bet.
Yeah, it's not a lot different than the Mabor take for us (assuming that happens) for that end of bench guy. He may end up being a guy who is just thrilled to be a part of the program and a glue type leadership role on the bench who plays very sparingly.

I think Pope is likely a solid coach, but I’m curious to see what they look like, complete 180 from Cal. Will they have a preseason projected 1st round pick on the roster? 2nd round? Seems like a bunch of dudes that can shoot, which is what he had at BYU, but not sure athletically how the same stuff translates.
Agree. They are going to look night and day differently from an athletic profile.

Part of me wonders if this wasn't a take to get the fanbase re-engaged with the identity of the team. The kid has some talent...I don't mean to run him down. I just don't think he had UK talent. But taking him and Travis Perry, two Kentucky kids in the same class, Pope's first class, will help to endear him to the fanbase that grew tired of the mercenary recruiting style of Calipari.

There’s been times during the Barnes years that we were bemoaning our lack of shooting. I recall several threads debating whether it’s better to recruit gifted shooters and teach them defense vs recruiting great defenders / athletes and teaching them to shoot. Based on your observations this guy is the first type - might be interesting to see how it works out?
Yeah, for the reasons in my two previous posts above, I can sort of understand the take. Maybe he becomes a lights out shooter. You can't really teach him to be more athletic, but Dane Bradshaw made a huge difference for a Tennessee team that was in flux. This kid is an infinitely better shooter than Dane. If he can be that level of a leader, then that may be his job. I just don't see it translating to a lot of playing time.

Reactions: b_gann
Agree. They are going to look night and day differently from an athletic profile.

Part of me wonders if this wasn't a take to get the fanbase re-engaged with the identity of the team. The kid has some talent...I don't mean to run him down. I just don't think he had UK talent. But taking him and Travis Perry, two Kentucky kids in the same class, Pope's first class, will help to endear him to the fanbase that grew tired of the mercenary recruiting style of Calipari.
I think they got tired of losing in the first round. I think they made peace with the roster turnover a long time ago.

Reactions: Orange.

VN Store

Back