Reasoning behind QB switch? (last season)

Dougie_D

I looked at highlights when we played Oregon. To be honest, it didn't feel like Worley played that bad. The only thing he could have done better would be to release the ball quicker.

So what was the reasoning to take him out against Florida the very next game?

I looked at highlights when we played Oregon. To be honest, it didn't feel like Worley played that bad. The only thing he could have done better would be to release the ball quicker.

I really don't think the difference between JW and NP going into LAST season was that vast. Both showed similar talent albeit with different skill sets coming out of the '13 spring game. I do believe too that CBJ was looking for a spark. Who knew that NP would "mail it in" against Florida in the Swamp...and break his hand before getting a chance to redeem himself if he had it in him. He may have been a tad nervous too in his first ever start...against hated rival Florida...on national TV. JMO.

Reactions: 2 people

Everyone makes mistakes and that has a mistake by CBJ. No one knows what would have happened if Worley had started, but I imagine the outcome would have been better. Worley may not have the quick release or strong arm, but he seems to have the awareness to not turn the ball over as much and be more accurate with his throws. JMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Worley wasnt playing strong and wasn't keeping the ball on the read to keep the defense honest. Peterman had been practicing well and was first in the complex in the am and last to leave. Butch felt he could make the same throws Worley was hitting and missing and felt he could keep some drives alive with his legs.
It obviously didn't work out but nobody foresaw a total freak out when the whistle blew for the qb. People harass Butch about the move but I have respect for a coach that tries something different to win a game. It's not always going to work out.

And btw, when Worley came back, he did use his legs. It helped beat SC and kept us in the Ga game. The injury made him not as scared.

Reactions: 8 people

A lot of these 5 yards in front of the feet of the WRs/TEs feet...
etihad_main-200x0.jpg

And a lot of these 10 yards over the WRs/TEs extended hands...
1393857409097.jpg

Manning always preaches having that relationship with the WRs/TEs...timing, timing, timing! Got to be able to trust the throw and timing on the routes. Bunch of rookie WRs in a new scheme...that accounted for a lot of it. That is why in the Georgia/SCjr games we saw the light bulb come on for North, Howard, and Worley...the trust was finally starting to be there...this is why I feel like we are going to be better than advertised on the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Worley want strong and wasn't keeping the ball on the read to keep the defense honest. Peterman had been practicing well and was first in the complex in the am and last to leave. Butch felt he could make the same throws Worley was hitting and missing and felt he could keep some drives alive with his legs.
It obviously didn't work out but nobody foresaw a total freak out when the whistle blew for the qb. People harass Butch about the move but I have respect for a coach that tries something different to win a game. It's not always going to work out.

Spot on. Worley was poor was So Alabama (3 ints) and very ineffective vs Oregon outside of the opening drive (after that drive Oregon scored the next 59 pts). There wasn't much separation between him and Peterman in practice so Butch gambled. Agree with you Sparty, respected Butch for trying it. Neither had a problem with the move nor do I think for even 1 second that Butch did it because of fan pressure.

Last edited:
Worley was not tearing it up and he refused to pull the ball down and run for yardage. Peterman is a better athlete but he was locked up with nerves and broke his thumb. Kid wanted to play so badly he hid it from the staff until he whipped a couple of those wounded ducks to the Gators.

Reactions: 1 person
Worley was not tearing it up and he refused to pull the ball down and run for yardage. Peterman is a better athlete but he was locked up with nerves and broke his thumb. Kid wanted to play so badly he hid it from the staff until he whipped a couple of those wounded ducks to the Gators.

Peterman will play mop up duty, possibly.

Well, Peterman was the guy that came in at the end of the Oregon game and drove us down the field for a touchdown. I know, 3rd string, etc. but Worley had been playing against those guys for a quarter or more and couldn't score. So I imagine they had some confidence in NP going to the Florida game. Either way, I was fine with the move. Hate it didn't work out that game, but I still think NP could get the job done if he gets another shot. We will see...or not!

It was a risk, Worley actually played better after that IMO. I expect better QB play this season.

I really don't think the difference between JW and NP going into LAST season was that vast. Both showed similar talent albeit with different skill sets coming out of the '13 spring game. I do believe too that CBJ was looking for a spark. Who knew that NP would "mail it in" against Florida in the Swamp...and break his hand before getting a chance to redeem himself if he had it in him. He may have been a tad nervous too in his first ever start...against hated rival Florida...on national TV. JMO.

Correct, "you can't start a fire without a spark" (Bruce Springsteen)

Because the forward bounce pass is still illegal in football

Worley may not have the quick release or strong arm, but he seems to have the awareness to not turn the ball over as much and be more accurate with his throws. JMO.

Because his passes were for 3-5 yards. Its easy to be "accurate" on a glorified shovel pass. None of them could throw the ball downfield accurately and would throw into double coverage when there was another man wide open. Poor arms, poor accuracy, poor judgement, poor speed.

I do not think any of Worley's problems are arm related. In the Vandy game in which Worley replaced Tyler for a quarter, we got a good look at Worley's arm. The TV folks brought a gun to check Tyler's ball velocity. Tyler was throwing over 55 mph which is fantastic, but Worley was throwing over 50 mph which the TV folks said was NFL level. It is not that JW doesn't have a quick release; the problem is he will not throw until the receiver gets himself open. He should instead throw the receiver open. Until he gets some nads, a pretty good arm will be of little use to him. Too bad he can't throw at golf carts with no D on the field.

The Florida game is not likely indicative of the talent level and ability of Nathan Peterman. If it were, then that says a lot about what this coaching staff thought about Justin Worley.

Now I am not saying Peterman is any good, but I highly doubt he is that bad. I mean, that was a baaaaad performance.

VN Store

Back