Good read on Dobbs changing scheme

I credit Dobbs' effort more than the play calling honestly. There were many times Dobbs made plays on his own far from the called play.

He gave good effort. Vols still lost by 14 to a Bama team that we aren't sure of (if they slacked off or not)

The rational thing to do is see how Dobbs and the team preform over the next 4 games. People are ready to crown him already and it could back fire.

We will know a lot more Saturday night one way or the other. Biggest game of the year is tomorrow night. Imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I don't know if Bama let off and don't know for sure Dobbs is the savior. I was referring to the article talking about how coaches called a different game with Dobbs.

It changes your mindset completely on D when you don't know if the QB will take off. You have to play assignment football. You cant just fly to the back because he may not have the ball.

When Pearson comes in motion it really puts pressure on the D. Its actually a quadruple option. Pearson on the jet sweep, Hurd or Dobbs run and he can still pass. When you have to honor four different options out of one set its tough. Any part of the D doesn't do their assignment and the QB makes the correct read it can be a big play.

One thing I'd like to see more of is after fake jet sweep to Pearson and fake to Hurd. Hit Pearson up the sideline. It's hard for anyone to follow him all the way across the set and then stay with him after the fakes. Lots of times they will give up on the rciver after they don't get it on the fake.

Reactions: 4 people
The first QB counter they show "Jet Sweep" is actually the inverted veer. It's the same thing Auburn runs.

I've read and posted about this article before and while I agree Dobb's athleticism is the biggest driver of the success it still raises the question why didn't we attempt any of these adjustments before? Even just with Dobbs last year. I'm glad they finally did mix it up. I hope they continue but it reinforces my opinion that Bajakian and Butch had been pretty dogmatic about their scheme previously.

I've read and posted about this article before and while I agree Dobb's athleticism is the biggest driver of the success it still raises the question why didn't we attempt any of these adjustments before? Even just with Dobbs last year. I'm glad they finally did mix it up. I hope they continue but it reinforces my opinion that Bajakian and Butch had been pretty dogmatic about their scheme previously.

They were very limited last year as to what they could ask Dobbs to do. He was a true freshman that was seriously undersized and intended for a redshirt season. Remember, he only played because he was literally the only option last year. He has had 1.5 seasons to get into better shape and get more familiar with the scheme. It was not dogmatic, just extremely limited choices. We have yet to see the full playbook for various reasons, but I think that is about to change. I believe all will be pleased with the system once it is hitting on all cylinders.

Reactions: 2 people

and if they were able to "adjust" and "change game plan" then why didn't they do it before to better suit Worley and the offensive line?

I'm not buying it......yet......

all year--for many years, actually--that a lack of mobility of the QB position has hurt UT's offense relative to practically every other offense in the country! We're running a read-option that isn't really a read-option because the QB can't run; we have OL issues which exacerbate our offensive problems because two of our QBs can't escape from pressure. And yet we have a kid on the bench with athleticism, who can run, who played some last year and flashed, and the coaches don't play him until the season is two-thirds over. The bottom line is that we couldn't afford to redshirt Dobbs this year. Maybe it was a tough call, all things considered: Nobody is suggesting the Dobbs is ready to take us to the SEC title. At the same time, the program needs to get better and start winning some games to boost recruiting.

The first QB counter they show "Jet Sweep" is actually the inverted veer. It's the same thing Auburn runs.

Not true. Inverted veer and the power read are the same play. The name means the same thing. QB counter is a designed QB keep. No read.

QB Counter

QB%2BCounter.png

Inverted Veer/Power Read

invertedveer.gif

Reactions: 1 person
I credit Dobbs' effort more than the play calling honestly. There were many times Dobbs made plays on his own far from the called play.

He gave good effort. Vols still lost by 14 to a Bama team that we aren't sure of (if they slacked off or not)

The rational thing to do is see how Dobbs and the team preform over the next 4 games. People are ready to crown him already and it could back fire.

We will know a lot more Saturday night one way or the other. Biggest game of the year is tomorrow night. Imo.

Not really. There were not that many plays where Dobbs had to scramble and make something on his own. Most of his runs were designed.

This makes me feel a lot better about the offense moving forward. I think we will be able to put big yardage against the remaining teams on the schedule.

I don't know if Bama let off and don't know for sure Dobbs is the savior. I was referring to the article talking about how coaches called a different game with Dobbs.

It changes your mindset completely on D when you don't know if the QB will take off. You have to play assignment football. You cant just fly to the back because he may not have the ball.

When Pearson comes in motion it really puts pressure on the D. Its actually a quadruple option. Pearson on the jet sweep, Hurd or Dobbs run and he can still pass. When you have to honor four different options out of one set its tough. Any part of the D doesn't do their assignment and the QB makes the correct read it can be a big play.

One thing I'd like to see more of is after fake jet sweep to Pearson and fake to Hurd. Hit Pearson up the sideline. It's hard for anyone to follow him all the way across the set and then stay with him after the fakes. Lots of times they will give up on the rciver after they don't get it on the fake.

I completely agree. So whey didn't we run this "quadruple option" earlier in the season? Why not have a 1st half strategy with Worley and a 2nd half strategy with Dobbs? I mean, if they can change schemes on the dime, then why in the h3ll be so d..ned predictable for 8 games in the season??? We would have certainly beat UF with this strategy and probably UGA. How'd you like being 5-3 instead of the reverse?

These people get paid a lot of money to......WIN. Smart coaches use every weapon in their arsenal.

Last edited:
and if they were able to "adjust" and "change game plan" then why didn't they do it before to better suit Worley and the offensive line?

Don't care about your purchases.

Last edited:

They called plays that put Worley in the best position to make plays with his arm (in the pocket). Even though the pocket was made of tissue paper and will not hold up, that was the only place for him. It has been proven through the year that Worley could not run and could not throw outside the pocket when he scrambled. They called quick throws for him because of this.

I completely agree. So whey didn't we run this "quadruple option" earlier in the season? Why not have a 1st half strategy with Worley and a 2nd half strategy with Dobbs? I mean, if they can change schemes on the dime, then why in the h3ll be so d..ned predictable for 8 games in the season??? We would have certainly beat UF with this strategy and probably UGA. How'd you like being 5-3 instead of the reverse?

These people get paid a lot of money to......WIN. Smart coaches use every weapon in their arsenal.

I think the presumption that "if only the coaches had put dobbs in and been calling like this earlier" everything would have been peachy keen is fools gold.

First, most of the team on the line is very very new so you need time for them to get the basic plays down pat before you start tweaking them.

Second, if Worley wasnt hurt, I dont think you would have seen Dobbs this year - why? because while we want gratification now! I think CBJ (while doing all that is feasible to win now) is planning for the killer team next year - and Dobbs is still a bit green and redshirting him would have been best for the program - because that would give max time for CBJ to develop the next QB.

Lastly, we have already seen what happens when we try to make too many adjustments to playing style. I think CBJ is training the team to play his way. It may not fit some of the players he has or inherited but I think he is thinking for the longer term it is easier to train everyone in the schemes and then replace the few talents who dont fit over time. So rather than try to keep changing the system for the strengths of one or two players (even if its the QB), he is going to keep training his system and change the players that dont fit as soon as he can.

Re: "You cant just fly to the back because he may not have the ball. "

A great example is the handoff to Lane, 1:13 mark of Freak's highlights -- #47 has to keep his eyes on Dobbs/hesitate for such a split second which gives Lane the clear out (but somehow #47 chased Lane down at the 2?!). I don't know that this play can be run with Justin or Peterman.

I'd ask the same. Whatever though. Win out and I start caring a lot less. Hell make a bowl and I start caring a lot less.

Last edited:

Smart coaches don't use a 2 quarterback system either. :good!:

Offense looked very good last week.

I was glad to see them incorporate more counters into the blocking scheme. I hope it continues.

I think they can do that regardless of the QB and it simplified assignments somewhat for the O linemen. Also puts hat on hat more and a guy missing an angle doesn't immediately lead to a sack or negative rush as we saw early in the season.

One thing I think that should also be talked about, is Dobbs decision making. It seemed much quicker. I think his proven academic intelligence will translate more and more into his football intelligence. He showed little hesitation, and made mostly smart decisions. He looked VERY different from last year. I love having a QB who is already very smart, as it can definitely help on the field. He SEEMS (notice the emphasis on seems) to be able to read defenses very well now, so far at least. We'll see tomorrow, but I'm hoping this is the new Dobbs, not just a fluke. I think it isn't a fluke.

VN Store

Back