Good read on Dobbs changing scheme

Offense looked very good last week.

I was glad to see them incorporate more counters into the blocking scheme. I hope it continues.

I think they can do that regardless of the QB and it simplified assignments somewhat for the O linemen. Also puts hat on hat more and a guy missing an angle doesn't immediately lead to a sack or negative rush as we saw early in the season.

The last part is all I was getting at. Simplify scheme when we aren't running most of it with anyone but Dobbs any damn way. Maybe I am the only one that thinks our offense before bama looked bad even when it looked good.

Reactions: 1 person
We don't know hardly any of the variables on why Dobbs was redshirted this year. So to criticize CBJ for the decision is just wanting to criticize for the hell of it. We can speculate as to why or why not the decision was made. I trust CBJ to make sound decisions. I've posted on here before that when Dooley was here I had no faith in his planning, recruiting, and his decisions. Now I feel we are in good hands and I can mark that worry off my list. Here's my theory as to why CBJ redshirted Dobbs: Worley was the better passer and we had a lot of receiving weapons. Butch probably thought our line would struggle with the running game, including with a running qb. So redshirt Dobbs and have him for 3 more years until we get a line that can open up holes. The plan appeared to work early. We won two, moved the ball well vs okie, scored 32 points on uga. The fla game was the thing that changed everything, that and Worley being hobbled. Unfortunately, I don't think you could try to introduce a new offensive scheme going into ole miss, (probably the most difficult defensive scheme to prepare for). That's when rumors started saying that Dobbs might see action and sacrifice his redshirt. The Bama game occurs, Peterman couldn't get the job done, so in steps Dobbs. They had probably been practicing the Dobbs game plan plays for the previous two weeks. Now Dobbs is the guy for the rest of the year, but Butch can't say that because if it implodes vs usc, he wants a fall back to Peterman or hopefully Worley. Great decisions sometime change when the variables change.

Reactions: 2 people
We don't know hardly any of the variables on why Dobbs was redshirted this year. So to criticize CBJ for the decision is just wanting to criticize for the hell of it. We can speculate as to why or why not the decision was made. I trust CBJ to make sound decisions. I've posted on here before that when Dooley was here I had no faith in his planning, recruiting, and his decisions. Now I feel we are in good hands and I can mark that worry off my list. Here's my theory as to why CBJ redshirted Dobbs: Worley was the better passer and we had a lot of receiving weapons. Butch probably thought our line would struggle with the running game, including with a running qb. So redshirt Dobbs and have him for 3 more years until we get a line that can open up holes. The plan appeared to work early. We won two, moved the ball well vs okie, scored 32 points on uga. The fla game was the thing that changed everything, that and Worley being hobbled. Unfortunately, I don't think you could try to introduce a new offensive scheme going into ole miss, (probably the most difficult defensive scheme to prepare for). That's when rumors started saying that Dobbs might see action and sacrifice his redshirt. The Bama game occurs, Peterman couldn't get the job done, so in steps Dobbs. They had probably been practicing the Dobbs game plan plays for the previous two weeks. Now Dobbs is the guy for the rest of the year, but Butch can't say that because if it implodes vs usc, he wants a fall back to Peterman or hopefully Worley. Great decisions sometime change when the variables change.

I totally get the call on Dobbs and have not questioned that at all. My question is why didn't we mess with the scheme at all goingback even into last year? According to the article that was the 1st time they had. It doesn't really matter now but I hope we see more openness to do so moving forward.

I completely agree. So whey didn't we run this "quadruple option" earlier in the season? Why not have a 1st half strategy with Worley and a 2nd half strategy with Dobbs? I mean, if they can change schemes on the dime, then why in the h3ll be so d..ned predictable for 8 games in the season??? We would have certainly beat UF with this strategy and probably UGA. How'd you like being 5-3 instead of the reverse?

These people get paid a lot of money to......WIN. Smart coaches use every weapon in their arsenal.

Smart coaches? I agree, wonder why Fulmer didn't use Arian Foster? Best RB in the NFL and did not get drafted..unbelievable!!

Not really. There were not that many plays where Dobbs had to scramble and make something on his own. Most of his runs were designed.
Totally agree, for the most part when he ran it was a called play. ( which is good to be able to have that option ) Dobbs looks good but in all the games this year Worley did about all he could do as a QB. Defense is playing lights out but we are still hurting ourselves with dumb penalties. CBJ has a plan and for only being in his 2nd year we have vastly improved from where we were. GO VOLS .........:clapping:

he jump started the run game by adding another element to the run game. Bama only gives up about 65ypg rushing and we ran for almost 190. we had 190 until one of the last plays of the game when dobbs ran out of bounds for a big loss. If you can run on Bama then you run on Carolina who gives up 210ypg rushing and almost 6YPC.

all year--for many years, actually--that a lack of mobility of the QB position has hurt UT's offense relative to practically every other offense in the country! We're running a read-option that isn't really a read-option because the QB can't run; we have OL issues which exacerbate our offensive problems because two of our QBs can't escape from pressure. And yet we have a kid on the bench with athleticism, who can run, who played some last year and flashed, and the coaches don't play him until the season is two-thirds over. The bottom line is that we couldn't afford to redshirt Dobbs this year. Maybe it was a tough call, all things considered: Nobody is suggesting the Dobbs is ready to take us to the SEC title. At the same time, the program needs to get better and start winning some games to boost recruiting.

At what point do you all think Butch Jones should have gained the confidence in Dobbs to give him the go ahead. I remember last year when he looked great in his first game and then SUCKED the last 3! So I keep hearing he is just a gamer! He has not been accurate since he got here. Worley was. Worley doesn't get hurt he is still starting and rightfully so. He played the best last year and this year in practice and honestly had proven it. in games he was pretty good up until the ole miss game. Quit acting like you all know better than the coaches. They had nothing but last year and this years practice to go off of. If he plays great the rest of the season and everyone wins.

The last part is all I was getting at. Simplify scheme when we aren't running most of it with anyone but Dobbs any damn way. Maybe I am the only one that thinks our offense before bama looked bad even when it looked good.

Hindsight will always be 20/20 and I know most on here don't agree with a 2 QB system but I would be curious to know if Bajakian and Jones ever considered that with Peterman and Worley.

Urban Meyer won a championship with a pocket passer in Leak and runner in Tebow so it can work.

Not saying it would have the Vols winning a championship but it would have taken a lot of punishment off Worley and played to Peterman's strength.

Might have saved Dobbs redshirt as well.

My bigger issue has been the O line over the QB position though.

It was apparent from the first game that the O line was having trouble with the scheme though so it's a shame it took them this long to change things up with the blocking. Why it took over half the season, I have no clue.

Hindsight will always be 20/20 and I know most on here don't agree with a 2 QB system but I would be curious to know if Bajakian and Jones ever considered that with Peterman and Worley.

Urban Meyer won a championship with a pocket passer in Leak and runner in Tebow so it can work.

Not saying it would have the Vols winning a championship but it would have taken a lot of punishment off Worley and played to Peterman's strength.

Might have saved Dobbs redshirt as well.

My bigger issue has been the O line over the QB position though.

It was apparent from the first game that the O line was having trouble with the scheme though so it's a shame it took them this long to change things up with the blocking. Why it took over half the season, I have no clue.

Would be feasible if Peterman was a better pocket passer...hasn't shown.

Would be feasible if Peterman was a better pocket passer...hasn't shown.

Wouldn't have needed Peterman to be that great of a passer.

Going back to the Florida example,

Tebow seldom passed when he came into the game for Florida his freshman year, he just came in and ground out 4-5 yards. He attempted 33 passes in 14 games but his worth came in getting 469 rushing yards.

Not saying Peterman is anywhere near Tebow, but the offense couldn't have possibly looked much worse than it did in recent weeks.

Took Worley getting knocked out, possibly for the season, and two O linemen getting hurt for them to do anything though.

Wouldn't have needed Peterman to be that great of a passer.

Going back to the Florida example,

Tebow seldom passed when he came into the game for Florida his freshman year, he just came in and ground out 4-5 yards. He attempted 33 passes in 14 games but his worth came in getting 469 rushing yards.

Not saying Peterman is anywhere near Tebow, but the offense couldn't have possibly looked much worse than it did in recent weeks.

Took Worley getting knocked out, possibly for the season, and two O linemen getting hurt for them to do anything though.

Chris Leak was much more proficient a passer in comparison to Tebow, was my point in regard to Peterman vs Dobbs. Even people giving the nod to Peterman, can't say it's as wide a margin. You put him in to spell Dobbs for the benefit of passing? Why?

Chris Leak was much more proficient a passer in comparison to Tebow, was my point in regard to Peterman vs Dobbs. Even people giving the nod to Peterman, can't say it's as wide a margin. You put him in to spell Dobbs for the benefit of passing? Why?

You've completely missed my point.

I am talking about a tandem of Worley and Peterman early in the season.

It's why I said hindsight is 20/20. I know it can't happen now with Worley's injuries but it would have played to his and Peterman's strengths instead of getting Worley beat into the ground running plays he wasn't suited for.

Now that the redshirt is off for Dobbs, it's a no brainer to ride him until he proves he can't handle the load.

I think Dobbs gets the tag of starter on the outcome Saturday. If he leads us to a win he's the man the rest of the way. I think CBJ is being cautious about throwing all his chips in the middle on just 3 qtrs of good play. A coach don't like to get labeled wishy washy. Look at the fiasco Vandys coach did in the first game in regard to qbs. CBJ is too smart for that.

Originally Posted by armchair View Post
the program needs to get better and start winning some games to boost recruiting.

So you in your analysis if we win one game our recruiting rank should be #1?

Have you looked at where we were ranked last year and where this class is going to wind up?

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

Dobbs didn't get anywhere near a starting opportunity at the first of the season due to less passing accuracy and iffy quick decisions. As the season rolled along, he appears to have picked up on those skill-sets, as some of my fellow fans don't seem to grasp. Until he was under fire, there wasn't any way for CBJ to know he'd improved. CBJ did right by sticking with Worley like he did. Truth be told; this game will reveal volumes as to Dobb's improvement. If this is the case, I don't think the chickens will fare well at all. If Mr. Dobbs has indeed improved his accuracy, then the rest of this season is going to be fun for us to watch.

Something else to be considered is that the rumor that Dobbs parents wanted a redshirt season could be true and buTch may have promised that he'd do his best to try to redshirt Dobbs this season.

It's totally logical that Dobbs parents wanted another scholly year for his educational goals.

5 years of free education for a really smart guy like Dobbs is probably more important to him and his parents.

It's also obvious that JW can pass realy well now when he gets some time in the pocket and we do have lots of weapons to pass to now.

The running ability of Dobbs definately opens up the playbook alot more but we were close against floriDUHHH and UGa since only 4 points was the difference in a Win for both of those games.

buTch may have been trying his best to get Wins and to keep his promise to Dobbs and his parents but with JW hurt and Peterman not getting anything accomplished every time he was on the field then buTch had no other options except to put Dobbs in and burn his redshirt.

I believe that buTch is the type of man that if he makes a promise to a student or their parents that he'll try his best to keep his word of Honor and that can only bode well for our program as time goes by.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

I completely agree. So whey didn't we run this "quadruple option" earlier in the season? Why not have a 1st half strategy with Worley and a 2nd half strategy with Dobbs? I mean, if they can change schemes on the dime, then why in the h3ll be so d..ned predictable for 8 games in the season??? We would have certainly beat UF with this strategy and probably UGA. How'd you like being 5-3 instead of the reverse?

These people get paid a lot of money to......WIN. Smart coaches use every weapon in their arsenal.
Lest ye forget our offense outscored UGA's Gurley led offense that was on a Heisman pace at the time, we and our staff had reason to believe cleaning up turnovers by our O would produce a winning offense. Then the gators showed up and exposed that illusion.

I credit Dobbs' effort more than the play calling honestly. There were many times Dobbs made plays on his own far from the called play.

He gave good effort. Vols still lost by 14 to a Bama team that we aren't sure of (if they slacked off or not)

The rational thing to do is see how Dobbs and the team preform over the next 4 games. People are ready to crown him already and it could back fire.

We will know a lot more Saturday night one way or the other. Biggest game of the year is tomorrow night. Imo.
I wasn't really concerned with how hard Bama played, it was the fact Dobbs looked like a new person in complete control.

Very nice thread. If UT doesn't recruit tall running athletic quarterbacks that have a decent throwing arm it's not going to make sense. Think about it...next year if Dobbs gets hurt or banged up we'll need the same exact style quarterback. Agree? Who are we going after that's similar?

VN Store

Back