Spring Practice #1 3/24 4:20pm

Fingers

It's time! I'll try to update this post with info I see. Hopefully this thread can be a community effort of updates.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032415aab.html

-- The first day of practice is part of a required acclimation period, which meant the Vols could wear helmets but no other pads. For that reason, the players who are slated to be limited this spring were all available. That made for a much more complete defensive line group, because defensive end Corey Vereen and defensive tackles Owen Williams and Charles Moseley were part of the contingent. Offensive lineman Chance Hall is also listed as limited, but he was a full participant as well.

-- Sophomore tailback Jalen Hurd and junior wide receiver Marquez North both participated but both wore green no-contact jerseys even though no one was wearing pads and there was little to no contact anyway.

-- Defensive coordinator John Jancek held a brief agility drill that included just three players, safeties Brian Randolph and LaDarrell McNeil and linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin. It apparently didn't portend anything in the way of a position change because all three players went back with their respective position groups.

-- Quarterbacks Josh Dobbs and Quinten Dormady appeared sharp with their throws in drills with wide receivers, but they weren't forced to go against any defense in the time that practice was open to the media.

-Dusrin Dopriak

Secondary coach Willie Martinez at one point stopped a ball-stripping drill and made his defensive backs do up-downs. Later, coaches made Tennessee's second-team defense run on the field again because they didn't like how the players did it the first time. Dropped passes still carry a 10-pushup penalty for the wide receivers.

> Redshirt freshman Charles Mosley, who missed all of last season after suffering a broken leg in a car accident last July, was working with the defensive line. There was some uncertainty about where the big 6-foot-5, 370-pounder would play. At one point last season it looked like he would play offensive line.
-Patrick Brown

> Speaking of defensive linemen, Corey Vereen and Owen Williams were practicing. Both will be limited this spring, but with the Vols going in helmets on Tuesday, they were able to get out there and run around.

Williams was with the first-team defensive line along with ends LaTroy Lewis and Dimarya Mixon and tackle Kendal Vickers.

> Running back Jalen Hurd and receiver Marquez North wore green jerseys, meaning they would be non-contact if Tennessee wasn't practicing in just helmets. Expect that to continue. Tennessee wants to manage Hurd this spring, and North is coming off shoulder surgery last November.

> With Marcus Jackson out, Dylan Wiesman, who started two games at center last season, was in at left guard on Tennessee's first group on the offensive line. Kyler Kerbyson was at left tackle and Coleman Thomas was at right tackle. Freshman Jack Jones and Chance Hall were at right tackle and right guard with the second group.
-Partick Brown

Grant Ramey
Video: Jalen Hurd working with Robert Gillespie during practice Tuesday https://t.co/qjTRKYEUsN

Tennessee's first-month offensive coordinator Mike DeBord, hired just weeks ago to replace Mike Bajakian, had a business-like demeanor on the opening day. He wasn't particularly animated as he took a very instructional approach with his quarterbacks. Jones also weighed in, barking some observations at Dobbs while Nick Sheridan, the graduate assistant spotlighted last month on VolQuest.com, also worked very closely with the Vols' quarterbacks. Perhaps most noteworthy, there didn't seem to be any confusion or lag among the Tennessee signal-callers and the DeBord-led coaches.
John Brice

Though just one session with limited viewing and no pads, Kamara seemed to display all the skills that made him perhaps the most coveted junior college tailback in the nation in the 2015 class. He was very fluid, athletic, showed quick feet and overall good hands in catching some routes out of the backfield.
John Brice

Grant Ramey
Video: Alvin Kamara in his Haslam Field debut https://t.co/D9T3vo6V4k

2. CHEVY KAMARA. Football is a game played in pads, and it’s not uncommon for players to look like destroyers of worlds in pads and then be much more pedestrian in pads. But the fact is Tennessee January running back enrollee Alvin Kamara looks really, really good in shorts. He’s compact, well-built, low to the ground and very, very quick. He most certainly looks the part. But we’ll see how quickly he learns the offense, and more importantly we’ll see how he looks in pads as spring progresses. But so far, so good.
Rucker

BIG MOSE ON HIS TOES. After missing all of last season while recovering from a leg fracture he sustained in a scary-looking car accident, Vols rising redshirt freshman defensive tackle Charles Mosley was back on the practice field Tuesday. And despite looking … well … noticeably large, Mosley continued to move well for a player that size. His conditioning looks like it’ll need continued work, though. January freshman defensive tackle enrollee Shy Tuttle also looked … well … noticeably large, but he also moved well for a kid that size. Tuttle’s conditioning seems to need even more work than Mosley’s, but that’s not surprising for a kid who should still be a high school senior.
Rucker

BATES: Practice felt great. It was great to be back out there.
BATES: I've been playing both at MIKE and WILL. The weight gain will be natural. I have kept my speed and agility. http://t.co/cnT8uxB3st

DOBBS: It was great to be back out there with my brothers.
DOBBS: our mindset on offense is the same with Coach DeBord as a Coach Bajakian, we are just trying to play faster.
DOBBS: We worked on little things, like staying compacted in the pocket. Coach DeBord and I have a great relationship and it keeps growing.
DOBBS: it was great to sit down with Coach DeBord (during interview process) it gave us a great introduction to him. He's knows a lot.
DOBBS: Being the QB of the team helps with command presence.There is always responsibility of being a leader. My goal is to push & lead team
DOBBS: I am a guy that knows all of my teammates by name, I have relationships with all of them. You have to hold teammates accountable.
DOBBS: I was just eager to get back on field and compete with the offense and show where we have taken steps moving forward.
DOBBS: When you are the QB people demand more of you. You have continue to grow.
DOBBS: @qdormady and Jennings have a high ceiling, I am excited to work with them.

JONES: Good to get back on the football field and play even though we didn't have any pads on. I liked our energy, workmanlike mentality.
JONES: It really benefits when you have a lot of returning players. We can pick up where we left off. I liked our leadership, our energy.
JONES: The small details, the fundamentals. Schematically, retention. There's a lot that can be accomplished even with no pads.
JONES: I thought our younger QBs did a nice job. Josh did a great job of providing leadership, experience. Quinten & Jauan did good things.
JONES: I thought Josh earned the right to sit in on that interview (when hiring @UTCoachDeBo). You could see there was a chemistry there.
JONES: Everything is about the betterment of our players. I thought that was great. I trust Josh. I wanted to see @UTCoachDeBo teach.
JONES: Great to have @UTCoachDeBo out there and see him interacting with all the different skill groups.
JONES: @Finally_Maybin is very cerebral, a great football IQ. He'll know all of our LB positions and will help the younger guys out.
JONES: @dillonbates is a smart player. Is going through a learning curve but he's fast, instinctive, and he's smart.
JONES: We're starting to look like an SEC football teams in terms of our bodies.
JONES: @CamSutton23 is very consistent, he's very competitive. We have great dialogue. Our players trust him, our coaches trust him.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj98ox24wc0[/youtube]

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032415aak.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 31 people
It's time! I'll try to update this post.

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

thanks fingers.

Reactions: 11 people

VN Store

Back