Winning vs goodness

LittleVol

Of course I can help you, Coach Heupel.
We are being predicted anywere from 8 wins and up. Some of us feel if we lose our starting QB ( like we have so many times)
that we won't reach even 8 wins.

None of us know. Cool.

But what do we see?
- All starters returning on both sides of the line
- best Qb in the East.
- coaching continuity
- depth increase

I expect for us to win 10 games.

What I " see" is that we have the chance to beat anyone on our schedule.

The last time we could legitimately feel that way... was 2005 maybe.

So when discussing how good we are... we should be good. We wll have a chance based on coaching and talent available to win every game imo.

But im playing it safe and saying we win 10.

Good day everyone.

Reactions: 5 people
I couldn't sleep at night if I was expecting 10 wins this Fall from the Vols. Have had to learn to pace my expectations over the past decades. Hope we do win them all, but just not counting on that, yet....

And per the goodness comment, couldn't resist this one:

Judge Smails: Danny, Danny, there's a lot of, uh, well, badness in the world today. I see it in court today. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't wanna do it, but felt I owed it to them. The most important decision you can make right now is what do you stand for, Danny? Goodness... or badness?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
8 regular season wins, 5-3 in the conference and 3-1 out of conference, and we're on the right track, imo.

So you think we lose to OU, and who else in the SEC? Bama, UGA and Mizzou?

I think we beat OU and one, if not two, of the three that I listed. I think a 2-loss season is very possible. Mizzou is the only team in the East that genuinely worries me as they've seemed to pull out on top the past couple of years.

There have been several years in the recent past where I have "expected" to lose certain games. I don't feel that way now. As a matter of fact I'm leaning back towards "expecting" to win. Not completely back there yet, but getting close. I do think we have a good chance against every team we play. We are emerging from a dark period and it feels good.

OP, wasn't sure what I'd find in this thread based on your title. Thought it might be another one of those false dichotomies that seem to rule the day.

But what do we see?
- best Qb in the East.
- coaching continuity
- depth increase

I think we lost 2 starters on the line, and should replace 2 more. K-Mac, Shy, Richmond, Blair, Jack Jones. 3-4 of these names need to be starters for this team to shine this year.

So you think we lose to OU, and who else in the SEC? Bama, UGA and Mizzou?

I think we beat OU and one, if not two, of the three that I listed. I think a 2-loss season is very possible. Mizzou is the only team in the East that genuinely worries me as they've seemed to pull out on top the past couple of years.

We have weak/questionable/young DT's and no one has taken the MLB position yet. Odds are we will be susceptible to the run up the middle. Bama, OU, UGA, and Arky have power run games to take advantage of that. I'm predicting 8-4, with those being our 4 losses.

OP, wasn't sure what I'd find in this thread based on your title. Thought it might be another one of those false dichotomies that seem to rule the day.

And what did you find instead, good sir?

OP,

There is only 1 game where UT will be a decided underdog. The other 11 games are winnable.

Do I think UT will win them all, no. But those games aren't mismatches like in the past.

Reactions: 4 people
We have weak/questionable/young DT's and no one has taken the MLB position yet. Odds are we will be susceptible to the run up the middle. Bama, OU, UGA, and Arky have power run games to take advantage of that. I'm predicting 8-4, with those being our 4 losses.

Um, no, we have the same DT's -- older and stronger -- except for the one starter we lost, J. Williams, and him we are replacing with strong/big KMac, Tuttle, Vickers (and even big Mosley if coaches felt like our DL really had needs). :question:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
OP,

There is only 1 game where UT will be a decided underdog. The other 11 games are winnable.

Do I think UT will win them all, no. But those games aren't mismatches like in the past.

Yeah this about my stance as well.
I don't see even one game however where we will be decidedly out matched.

Bama has some QB issues and more importantly no Amari Cooper. However they still have Kiffin and we know what that dude can do for QBs.

I like what we have. This is going to be a good season.

Reactions: 1 person
There have been several years in the recent past where I have "expected" to lose certain games. I don't feel that way now. As a matter of fact I'm leaning back towards "expecting" to win. Not completely back there yet, but getting close. I do think we have a good chance against every team we play. We are emerging from a dark period and it feels good.

CBJ has changed the expecting to lose attitude that ****** instilled into our program.

* is not for a bad word, I just ain't saying his name.

We are being predicted anywere from 8 wins and up. Some of us feel if we lose our starting QB ( like we have so many times)
that we won't reach even 8 wins.

None of us know. Cool.

But what do we see?
- best Qb in the East.
- coaching continuity
- depth increase

I expect for us to win 10 games.

What I " see" is that we have the chance to beat anyone on our schedule.

The last time we could legitimately feel that way... was 2005 maybe.

So when discussing how good we are... we should be good. We wll have a chance based on coaching and talent available to win every game imo.

But im playing it safe and saying we win 10.

Good day everyone.
10 wins is playing it safe???

I prefer winning and goodness. I will commit to 10-legit. Not yet sure we can beat Aub in ATL, but believe we make it there, this year.

I thought we returned all our DTs except maybe one and then add Tuttle/McKenzie. I think the only position on D we've downgraded in is MLB, and that's mainly because the current options are unproven. I just don't see us losing to Arky and I think we beat UGA. We were so close last year and they're replacing their QB and it's at home. And Arky seems very one-dimensional. OU is a toss-up and I think we're underdogs to Bama (not that we can't win).
I do think that, barring major injury, if we come out and beat OU off the bat then Bama is the only game I'd go into with the thought of a loss being an option.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought we returned all our DTs except maybe one and then add Tuttle/McKenzie. I think the only position on D we've downgraded in is MLB, and that's mainly because the current options are unproven. I just don't see us losing to Arky and I think we beat UGA. We were so close last year and they're replacing their QB and it's at home. And Arky seems very one-dimensional. OU is a toss-up and I think we're underdogs to Bama (not that we can't win).
I do think that, barring major injury, if we come out and beat OU off the bat then Bama is the only game I'd go into with the thought of a loss being an option.
We return 2 (somewhat undersized) DTs with SEC game experience. We add a RS So (vickers) who has finally worked his way into some playing time and two true freshmen with no experience (but admittedly a ton of upside).

That paired with our lack of experience at Mlb will likely mean that teams arrack the middle of our defense until we can show it's a strength, not a weakness. Tuttle. KMac, and whoever starts at Mike are all going to have to grow up fast.

We return 2 (somewhat undersized) DTs with SEC game experience. We add a RS So (vickers) who has finally worked his way into some playing time and two true freshmen with no experience (but admittedly a ton of upside).

That paired with our lack of experience at Mlb will likely mean that teams arrack the middle of our defense until we can show it's a strength, not a weakness. Tuttle. KMac, and whoever starts at Mike are all going to have to grow up fast.

I really look forward to seeing any opponent game-plan to just run up the middle against O'Brien, O.Williams, KMac, Vickers and Tuttle, backed by Bynum, Bryant, JRM, et al. :loco:

Expectations. A dangerous thing. I can't wait to hear the excuses.
I wish I could write down all of you stating you "expect to win" I have been told that expecting to win is an unrealistic expectation.

On a serious note, I say good for you. It sucks watching a team you expect to lose. I honestly see 8 wins this year as the absolute floor--Dobbs or no. Anything less is not a successful season. Losing AGAIN to Florida is unacceptable as well...even if it is in the swamp.

VN Store

Back