What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Bowling Green Edition

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
This horrendously long offseason is finally behind us. Everyone is gearing up for the season with trash talk, and with the hype train at full force, our opponents have plenty to say about us.

Bowling Green was a tough read. They really only have one message board worth reading, so I had to get creative. They have a couple of others, but there wasn't much to grab from them. I decided to look at comments on YouTube videos, rival message boards where they have frequent posters, and other UT boards to hunt for visitors. So for the first edition of this thread for 2015, here's what the Falcon faithful are saying about their upcoming matchup with UT:

-Their most frequented message board is called "ay-ziggy-zoomba"...... which is apparently the name of their fight song.

-They take a lot of pride in their WR Roger Lewis. Apparently that's their playmaker.

-I saw a few posters saying they really wish this game was in Neyland, which is certainly a compliment to how famous our stadium is.

-WilliamDuVOL seems to be frequenting one of their message boards, and is well received.

-There seems to be a good deal of respect for Dobbs. I imagine we'll see that on a lot of message boards this year.

-Fun fact: They just switched to Nike as well.

-These guys actually follow recruiting very closely. I was impressed. There were more threads discussing possible commits and recruits than there were the actual team.

-They've had some off the field issues this offseason. I can't get a grip on how important some of the lost/suspended players were, but there definitely seems to be some conduct issues.

-Ouch:

So we had a bad defense last year, especially early and late in the season. We lost like what, 6 or 7 seniors off that defense to graduation/eligibility exhausted? Additionally, we now have lost 2 returning starters to stupidity that were arguably our best defensive players...Bryan Thomas and Nick Johnson. Hope some of the freshman can play immediately?

-Occasionally I will see a couple of posters chime in with talk of us overlooking them due to Oklahoma. Or talk of us being overrated. That usually gets shut down pretty quick though:

No idea why people think Tennessee is going to be mediocre, they are a going to be a preseason top 25 team and will be a trendy pick in the SEC East. NFL stadium or not, there are going to be 68,500 Tennessee fans and 500 BG fans.

-The hopefuls are resting their hope on the fact that they may catch us off guard with their "high-paced offense."

-The naysayers are pretty upset about the scheduling of this game. Apparently they would have opened the season with South Carolina State, and they got UT instead after the UAB ordeal.

-Defensive size seems to be a concern:

Just looking through the two-deep on defense in the Preseason Notes posted yesterday. Not only are we younger, but awfully small in the box too. A lot of 230 pound lineman and under 200 pound linebackers. Yikes!

A poster replied with some updated weights that showed some defensive players have put on a few more pounds, I thought this response was funny:

Jeebus...our defense is huge! They need to be smaller and more mobile...God, we're gonna get killed

-One poster was referring to the startling size of our team. His exact words were "Their WR unit looks like a basketball team!"

-This whole thread is a decent read. It's basically a breakdown of both teams from a fan perspective. It's a long read, but to sum it up: Great offense, terrible defense for them this year.

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba.com • View topic - Part II: Hello from Big Orange Country

-There is a poster on ay-ziggy-zumba that considers himself as a bit of a "Michigan football expert" who had plenty to say about DeBord, and it wasn't positive.

He is known as DeBoring or DeBored among Michigan fans. He was the OC in 06-07 at Michigan and had Chad Henne, Mike Hart, Mario Manningham, and Steve Breaston to work with and yet the offense was terribly, horribly predictable. Maybe it should reflect more on Carr than DeBord but the offense worked by executing better than the defense - not by outscheming the defense. They only had a few simple run plays and the pass game just focused on a couple key receivers.

Basically the game started evolving offensively but Michigan missed out. Only once in DeBord's time at Michigan did the team look innovative on offense and that was the bowl game at the end of the 07 season. RichRod had just been hired as the Michigan coach and the offense under Lloyd Carr came out in five-wide and other spread sets. It was a lot of fun.

-General score predictions have us winning by 14-20 with it being a high-scoring affair. Though to be fair, there are plenty of predictions that have us winning by well over 20.

Side note here, I want to say thanks to VN for the support you guys give me on these threads. I've seen a lot of this mentioned in the offseason. I get just as excited about all the support I get as I do the occasional "these threads are stupid, who gives a s**t what other message boards are saying" posts :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 172 people
These are fun. Have any Bowling Green fans joined VN yet? Who will ever forget Ashley Shaeffer and "pard".

Reactions: 1 person
Good work as always. I look forward to these every week, thank you!

Oh yeah... We gonna whoop dey azz!

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks.

As far as the comments on Debord... he worked for Lloyd Carr. Nuff said. As some of you recall, and others dont, UT's offense was pretty
dadgum predictable not so long ago.

Fun read man. Fellow Chattanoogan! There are quite a few on here.

Feel bad that they lost 2 defenders to injury. Sounds like they needed them.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks OP. Good read. Helps pass the time till Saturday...

Love these! Nice to read we have some posters over there being well received and also not making fools of themselves.

What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Bowling Green Edition /IT'S FOOTBALL TIME,IN TENNESSEE!
Thanks, you know it is close now! Love these threads

Enjoy these threads and it is greatly appreciated.

You always pick out the good stuff to share.

VN Store

Back