Finishing September Hawaii (5-0)

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Many college teams will get five games in by the time midnight strikes the evening of Sep 30th.

What SEC teams will go undefeated through the month? What Power 5 teams from other conferences? Who ends up 5-0 (we'll call it Hawaii, at a wink to the TV show)?

• I think Tennessee could. If we don't, Georgia probably will.
  • LSU will.
  • Bama will, if they get by FSU.
  • Either A&M or Arky will; whoever wins their Sep 23 game.
  • That's it from the SEC. 4, max.

• Either Miami or Va Tech will from the ACC.
  • No one else. That's right, not Clemson or FSU or Louisville or UNC. You heard it here first. ;)

• Penn State will.
  • Wisconsin kinda will. They'll go 4-0, but they're one of the few teams who don't have 5 games before Oct 1st.
  • Ohio State probably will, if they survive Oklahoma's visit.
  • Michigan might, if they squeak past Florida.
  • Nebraska might. Depends on the Oregon game.
  • Minnesota could. Not because they're good (they do have a hot new coach), but because the Gopher's early schedule is a cupcake fest. MTSU is arguably their toughest September game (!!).
  • Yep, as many as 6 B10 teams could have perfect runs through September. That's how weak the lower half of that conference is, and how back-loaded their schedules tend to be (OSU, Mich, PSU, Wisc all tend to play each other later in the year, most years).

• Oklahoma can't get to 5-0 (only 4 games), but could get to 4-0 if they can sneak past Ohio State on Sep 9th.
  • Kansas State could get to 4-0 as well, but have to find a way past mighty Vandy (haha) and a messed-up Baylor program.
  • That's realistically it for the B12, but someone will surprise the world and sweep the month.

• Washington will.
  • Utah might. Have to win the Holy War against BYU, Sep 9th.
  • Either USC or Stanford could. Give the winner of their early Sep game a 50/50 chance.
  • That's about it for the PAC. Say 2.5.
So, all totalled, 15 or 16 teams will still be undefeated when October arrives.

You may have noticed, this isn't simply a list of the top teams, AP rank #1 through #15 or something. Schedules and timing matter, so programs like Kansas State sneak in while clearly better teams like Clemson are left out. It's all about who you play when.

What do you think? See any teams with a strong shot that I missed? Disagree with me anywhere?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
It's really looking like we go 11-1 losing to Mizzou. Very likely right now. Tennessee is too good of a program to lose to bama again and with the way the series has gone through time, I'll say this year will be the start of 5 straight over the tide.

Reactions: 17 people
It's really looking like we go 11-1 losing to Mizzou. Very likely right now. Tennessee is too good of a program to lose to bama again and with the way the series has gone through time, I'll say this year will be the start of 5 straight over the tide.

bartender I will have what this guy is having.:lolabove:

Reactions: 14 people

Too good to lose to bama, But will lose to Missouri ???

C'mon man

Reactions: 12 people
wth does how a series has looked like have to do with actual rosters?

Anyone marking Bama this year as a win on their schedule is smoking something. Not saying they can't be beat but they will be and deserve to be the favored team in every matchup until someone proves different, multiple times

Reactions: 3 people
wth does how a series has looked like have to do with actual rosters?

Anyone marking Bama this year as a win on their schedule is smoking something. Not saying they can't be beat but they will be and deserve to be the favored team in every matchup until someone proves different, multiple times

Blah blah blah. I can guarantee you that Saban has the third Saturdayin October circled and losing sleep already. The Vols will be lightin up the cigars at BD.

"Don't die on The Third Saturday in October because the preacher won't show up"

Reactions: 1 person
Hawaii is an unheralded bonefishing and permit destina...oh. Finishing Sept in Hawaii? Tricky title.

in all sincerity you got my hopes up for a saltwater fishing discussion.

Reactions: 2 people

You've lost your ever loving mind Nation.

I'm not sure what's crazier; your confidence in beating Ala**ma or your confidence in losing to Mizzou.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not sure what's crazier; your confidence in beating Ala**ma or your confidence in losing to Mizzou.

I've addressed the bama part in previous posts. The reason I think we lose to Mizzou is because they don't matter. Jones knows he has to beat UF, UGA,GT, Bama. Besides he's known for a let down or two and a lot of teams have seasons like this.

I don't know if LSU will. They will probably get by Syracuse who seems to be down, and UTC. Probably Troy also, as T should get whipped in the trenches, but they are talented in all the skill positions. BYU could trip up the Tigers in game 1 on a neutral site, and Mississippi State will give their best playing at home.

Many folks fail to appreciate how maudlin is LSU's passing attack, and how many OL guys they have lost recently. The D is talented but so much youth there ... mistakes can happen. We'll see.

I don't know if LSU will. They will probably get by Syracuse who seems to be down, and UTC. Probably Troy also, as T should get whipped in the trenches, but they are talented in all the skill positions. BYU could trip up the Tigers in game 1 on a neutral site, and Mississippi State will give their best playing at home.

Many folks fail to appreciate how maudlin is LSU's passing attack, and how many OL guys they have lost recently. The D is talented but so much youth there ... mistakes can happen. We'll see.

I see what you're saying, GMC. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Minnesota's schedule is absolutely laughable. Their only real games are Michigan and Wisconsin. One of MSU, Iowa, or Northwestern might be an 9 win team but that's it.

VN Store

Back